Author Topic: Slayer's lake, 3/1  (Read 742 times)

Offline Shoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
Slayer's lake, 3/1
« on: Mar 01, 2014, 11:30 PM »
Went to Slayer's lake.  It was kind of dumb but turned out epic. 

It was 15 degrees and 2 inches of snow.  I didn't trust the ice near the dam.  So I hiked around.

One waxy and then one perch eye to catch a limit of nice perch.  I caught many dozens of smaller perch, too.  These went 8.5 to 10 inches.  Marmish palm rod works great for perch.  I didn't hook any trout this time.

What makes it interesting is having to put on waders to get in there and to get out.  Unless you want to be wet to your knees.  See the broken bridge in the background.  And trying to unfreeze my waders and boots before getting back.

If you try to do this lake before the ice leaves...be very very careful.  I packed and wore my Arctic Armour floating suit.  There was 10" of ice where I fished.  I got on the ice without a problem.  I was 2/3 the way down the lake before even stepping on the ice.  But, when I walked off the ice, luckily I was in a shallow spot because my last three steps broke free; not over the boot though. 

I found out that I am not in shape for hiking this summer...but you already knew that.  That will be my last ice fishing trip of the season because some lakes are opening up for fly fishing. 

s

Offline coboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Slayer's lake, 3/1
« Reply #1 on: Mar 02, 2014, 04:05 AM »
Nice report, thanks. Pretty area.

Offline Maddog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 02, 2014, 08:22 AM »
Nice pictures landscape and fish.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Mar 02, 2014, 09:13 AM »
Hell Yeah!  Good adventure- its usually my 1st hiking trip of the season also.  Scary ice when you are alone-
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Shoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 02, 2014, 11:14 AM »
Less scary with 2" of snow covering up weak spots and methane pockets.  :o  I was cautious and only walked about 100 yards on ice total - with a floating suit.  I have trouble talking anyone into going on these adventures.  Life insurance is paid up and conscience is clean.  The worse the conditions, the better the fishing.  Hope to see you on the open water this year.

s

Let me qualify what I said.  There undoubtedly is soft ice and weak edges but the 10" of ice was not soft yet in the small area that I fished - it was clear ice.

Offline DoctorPerch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 02, 2014, 08:50 PM »
Shoe,

You certainly earned those perch!  Glad you avoided the thin spots.  Will make some nice meals for sure.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.