The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Ice Auger  (Read 3302 times)

Offline ADKLakerTaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ice Auger
« Reply #30 on: Aug 25, 2014, 03:55 PM »
I have been thinking the same thing. I'm in the market for a new power auger. Normally I use a hand auger...but my arms are tired! I've used both.2 of my pals have both. the cons out weigh the pros for me. The ion has battery issues with the cold, as well as the propane. I think I am going to go withe the tried and true 2 stroke. Just my .02

Hard tell'n, not know'n

Offline NordicJigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Aug 25, 2014, 05:45 PM »
Love my propane auger. 1 bottle will last me about 70 holes and easy to have another waiting. I pack about 4 bottles usually, 2 for my propane heater and 1 plus a spare for my auger.

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Aug 25, 2014, 06:53 PM »
last ice season around here there was a propane shortage and propane prices went up. this is cause of the sudden hit from the snow and not being able to travel in it that easily. could happen this year to during peak season so bare in mind every time you go out you need propane at 6.39 for two of the 1 pound tanks price for last years propane is it worth it? to go that or battery operated?

i still think propane is better but were i am at we don't get ice in the feet we only get maybe a foot to 15 inches max. so hand drilling gets tough to do so we use electric  that were they need a electric attachment like the clam plate or just drill smaller holes lol's

or buy a nills i am still not sold on nills even though i got one the blade need sharpening every year.  is it cause of the edge they use on their blade is the wrong angle? it should hold a edge longer in my opinion?  all my thought are of spending 189.99 for a 8 inch and having to spend $30 each season to have it sharpened? add up in the long run!

then you look at the blade for the jiffy propane there $75 just for the blades not including spark plugs air filter etc changed every year including the propane.  then having the blades sharpened is going to cost you unless you have to by new blades? or buy them every so often? it still going to cost you no mater what...

i am sure i could go out and drill a hole with my lazer with last years blades on it no problem that why i wonder about my nills maybe it just so new i question it? but you see my concerns cause the heads cost about $100 each on the nills  and how much sharpening can one take?

but back to propane i think the cost of the jiffy is about 589.99 unless you can find one for 419.99 like some have. any how all the up keep etc with air filters propane and spark plugs blades etc.. is going to cost you.

now on to the real question no one thought about is do you get enough ice to justify the spending for a propane auger for your self and your wife sake lol's?

if there is heat attack risk involved go power for sure but it just some things out weight others you know what i mean lol's     

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Aug 25, 2014, 07:17 PM »
The tried and true 2 stroke is always a top choice for anything. I think what the OP is looking for is something for in the permanent house that wont fume out the place. For that I feel the electric is by and far the best. This is coming from a gas auger guy, the electric needs no warm up, puts out no fumes, and is more user friendly. Often overlooked is the exhaust from any combustion engine whether its 2 stroke, 4 stroke, propane, gas, whatever will put out fumes/smell, as well as it can damage the interior with exhaust heat. I have lines where my auger burnt holes in the insulation of my house. It no big deal to me, and I love the smell, but it is a problem to many. There are plenty of good options for electric augers now, and they all seem to do fine. My top pick would be the ion, with the big volt close behind. The big volt has a 10 1/4" auger for those who want it. I have no problem with an 8" with pike. The other thing you have to remember with the batteries, is gas motors don't go forever either. While newer motors can go 200 holes or more, older ones were hard pressed to get 40-50 on a tank. My solution? Carry extra gas. There is no reason you can't bring two batteries if you really need it. If you need to drill 100+ holes a day, an electric is not for you. I'm not even sure how people swiss cheese a lake like that. You would have to spend more time drilling than fishing. I usually end up somewhere around 30 holes a trip, and the ion could do that.

Top picks

2 stroke gas: Nils - fast cutting, light (I think 21 pounds?), dependable, easy starting, easy to fix. cons; louder idle, more smoke
propane: Jiffy pro 4 - smoother/quieter idle, less smoke, good all around auger. cons; heavier (36 pounds for the 10"), propane can have issues in the extreme cold, I find the 1# propane bottles a pain in the a$$.
4 stroke gas: I hate them, and don't think they have any place as an auger.
electric: Ion - no noise, no fumes, no warm up. cons; more complicated, questionable long term durability, issues with batteries in the extreme cold, expensive replacement batteries.

If you get less than 15" of ice, I'd just go hand auger IMO. I often see 40"+ here in central MN, so thats kind of out of the question. Just to add on for maintenance, augers are simple, and require little work. A new spark plug every few year, blow out the air filter every year, maybe some new fuel line. Changing the oil every year on 4 strokes. Thats about $2.50 for a spark plug, 2 minutes for the air filter, Maybe $10 for an oil change. Not really a concern IMO. Sharpening blades is part of any auger. Take care of them and they will be sharp for years.
-Tom

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Aug 25, 2014, 08:05 PM »
I guess it is all in whatever a guy wants for his hard water needs. ALL of the above listed augers have pros and cons. As for me I had a 7" sm mora hand auger and a 8" eskimo 2 stroke that runs/starts good enough, however I was tired of mixing gas (and getting it on my hands and in my truck), fouling plugs and lugging the heavy sucker all over the place. I used the 7" mora for the Auger plate drill conversion. Don't underestimate the auger plate/ drill setup I previously mentioned. It is very powerful and did not give me one problem last season and I drilled hundreds of holes. I sincerely believe if a someone is looking for a powerful, lightweight and reasonably inexpensive alternative to other augers on the market this is a great one. I am sure hooking 3 vex batteries in series would add more capacity, however it is just adding unnecessary weight that I personally am trying to avoid. I carried a second battery around last year and didn't need it once.

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Aug 25, 2014, 08:47 PM »
to:shack man shoney:
the only thing you got to worry about is brushes for the drill and blades lol's

to: the original poster:
like said weight you options the propane is a good choice so is the electric. just depends on what your needs are. like why buy one if the ice don't get over a foot thick? will brushes be available for the electric motor? most dc motor have brushes so just a tip: there carbon brushes that ware down with use as the motor spins they ware out. like i  have right now a hard time finding some parts for some augers is  why i said this and brushes for certain drills.     

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Aug 26, 2014, 07:25 AM »
The milwaukee fuel 18v is brushless. (No brushes to wear out)  That being said there are plenty of parts that can wear out. I just havent found them yet....

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #37 on: Aug 26, 2014, 08:06 AM »
Depending on the size hole you want, and amount of ice, will dictate the best drill for your application.

I only use a 6in auger. So i went with the 18v Rigid Hammer drill (dont use the hammer setting) that came with 2x 3.0mah batteries. Also has a lifetime warranty on the drill/batteries. And again, get about 60-70+ holes thru 18" of ice.

I purchased an auger to drill adapter for $10 and was ready to go. Whole setup weighs about 10lbs. An added bonus is if you use a pop up, you can take the adapter off and use the drill to screw in the anchors =)

Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline vaughan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Aug 26, 2014, 08:54 AM »
Have used the Ion 8" auger for two years now and LOVE it.  Charges quickly in a couple hours and it lasts me all day.  We go up to North hero and put out 30 tip ups between my grandson and I and quite a few jigging holes and have no problems in almost 2' of ice.  Is light, my grandson who is 16 now has been taking over the drilling and he loves it, it's always ready and does the job.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #39 on: Aug 26, 2014, 12:53 PM »
I had an Ion as well, and loved it. I sold it after using the drill auger for a season. Does the same job, serves multiple purposes, usable during the off season, and half the weight. All for less cost than the Ion.

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Aug 26, 2014, 04:04 PM »
got the nim rod adaptor for my 5 inch lazer that is the nim rod adaptor with the nim rod safety device is what i got.  it does good with just the hand auger  with the drill it that much better.  i can use a 3/8 inch drill on it instead of having to buy a new  drill for the clam adaptor plate. best part is it works got it at a local shop for about $40. the safety device prevent the auger from falling threw the ice if the chuck slips...cost $20 for me and drill adaptor $20 again. a lot of people us the nim rod with out safety devices and find out the hard way that is why i mention it here... and when done drilling holes you can put up the tent like :baitbucket: said .     

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #41 on: Aug 26, 2014, 05:25 PM »
I went for the HT adapter because it was only $10. I made the disk with the strap to keep it from falling off.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.