The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Ice Auger  (Read 3301 times)

Offline LAKEGEORGEJEFF

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ice Auger
« on: Feb 27, 2014, 08:39 PM »
 With all the options available today which auger would you buy ?

CALLING ALL FISH!!!!!!!!!

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
Re: Ice Auger
« Reply #1 on: Feb 27, 2014, 09:00 PM »
With all the options available today which auger would you buy ?

It depends on a variety of things.

Do you want the smell of gas in your car or on hands? Fish do not like it that much.
You have to mix the gas which turns off some people too, but you may want a 4 stroke which eliminates the mixing part

Propane seems to be getting more popular but there have been issues with it freezing, I am also not sure how many holes you can get out of one tank.

Electrics are great but you have to keep the batteries warm and you do not get nearly the number of holes. You can also hook it up to a battery in your sled and go from there but then you have to be "tethered" to the sled or carry it with you everywhere you go.
i.e. an ion battery is 150 dollars and you have to keep warm or it will not hold a charge.

I would search the forums for a variety of threads that ask the same question that you did.

In the end make sure you are ok with your decision, they are not cheap and it is an investment. You also want to understand the maintenance that will be required for whatever auger you choose in order to get many years of good use out of it.

I personally have a old, old 10" Strikemaster magnum 2 stroke and I love it. It is heavy as heck but it cuts like no tomorrow and I have never had any issues with it.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Feb 27, 2014, 09:49 PM »
I bought an Eskimo Z51 4 years ago. If I was going to buy a new auger today,I would still buy the Eskimo Z51 or Z71 in 8" model. Starts on the first pull still today and cuts great. I run only Ethanol free gas and synthetic oil at 50:1.
<===Lefty===

Offline er-e-is

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 27, 2014, 10:00 PM »
Propane.

Offline 4Buck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 28, 2014, 12:22 PM »
So far I really like my Honda.

Offline tundra redneck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 28, 2014, 12:57 PM »
PROPANE ROCKS

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Mar 01, 2014, 09:05 AM »
I can't complain on my Solo Lazer Pro, it flat out cuts. I have been using non Oxy, AMSOIL mixed at 58-1 and 2 oz of seafoam per gallon. My auger likes the taste of it.

WS

Offline Nightbird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 01, 2014, 09:43 AM »
Choice might be dictated by your vehicle. Gas is fine if you drive a truck, but propane or electric is a lot better if auger and fuel have to go in a car.

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 01, 2014, 09:49 AM »
I went Propane, but I do have an electric one available for a good price. no complaint's with it just got a killer deal on the propane.

Offline nocod

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 01, 2014, 04:49 PM »
just got the jiffy pro4,happy with the easy start and no gas smell or leaks,cuts like butter lol,not happy with the propane bottle holder or the plastic throttle.

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
« Reply #10 on: Mar 03, 2014, 03:36 PM »
I run an older laser mag. Still starts right off and purrs like a kitten. If I were to buy a new one today it would be a coin toss between the Honda four stroke or a new lazer mag. There isn't an electric or propane auger on the market that can keep up with me when I go into search mode.

I was on a bus and just happened to be sitting on a news paper. This guy came up and asked. "Are you reading that ?"
I said  yes, stood up, turned the page and sat back down.

Offline BWB

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Mar 03, 2014, 03:49 PM »
I'm on my 4th season with an Ice Gator, purchased before the ION came out.  Anyway, no complaints AT ALL!  I've taken care of the battery in the off season (charge it up, once or twice a month) and I'm still getting about 70 holes through 12-15" ice with 8" Nils attached to it.  We have between 20-35" this year but I haven't really tested how many holes I can get.  I drilled about 25-30 yesterday through 22" ice and didn't miss a beat.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Mar 04, 2014, 03:11 AM »
I'd stick with a gas auger.  The electric ones are nice until you get to the price of them and replacement batteries.  The propane ones are reasonably priced but when a problem comes up you're stuck sending it back for repairs since there's no one in my area to work on it.

Offline TC5

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 04, 2014, 03:22 AM »
Ion the only way to go.On the second year with mine best thing since they invented condoms.No worries just fun.And blades are expensive for all. :flex:

Offline Jessechop

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 04, 2014, 10:25 AM »
I'd stick with a gas auger.  The electric ones are nice until you get to the price of them and replacement batteries.  The propane ones are reasonably priced but when a problem comes up you're stuck sending it back for repairs since there's no one in my area to work on it.

If they can work on gas they should be able to work on propane. Just a different carb than the 4G to regulate the propane. Any 4 cycle gasoline engine can be converted to Propane

Offline wile.e.1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 04, 2014, 05:19 PM »
another vote for propane,  have used a cordless drill setup for many years,   figured I spent more on new drills than I did on the propane auger.  after using it this season, I wish I would have went this way sooner.  Bought the adapter to fill the 1 lb tanks
Remember those that served..All gave some...Some gave All

Offline perchslappinmy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Mar 04, 2014, 06:20 PM »
Just bought my first power auger after many years with a hand auger. I went with a Tanaka power head and a Nils auger. Weighs less than 20 pounds is pretty quiet and cuts through over 20" of ice in 5 seconds. The Tanaka motor has a 7 year warranty also and comes with a transmission lock. Couldn't be happier. If you're fishing early ice and don't want to use the motor just pull the bolt add the Nils handle and you've got the best hand auger made. Couldn't find the 6" package anywhere so I bought the Tanaka motor and the Nils adapter seperate and I'm using my buddies 4.5" Nils until I can find a 6" hand auger.

Offline crappienpike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Aug 23, 2014, 09:13 PM »
Should I go with an electric auger or the jiffy propane auger????

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Aug 23, 2014, 10:02 PM »
In the same boat. Typically only get 13in of ice max here so electric is jumping out at me but my buddy has a propane and that thing rips and starts first pull. Like the light weight of elec but thinking longevity and propane seems better in that category. Too many decisions. My old jiffy 30 puuuurrrs still but looking for a change and have that as a backup.

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Aug 23, 2014, 10:49 PM »
me my self would go propane reeds had them on sale last i looked?

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Aug 24, 2014, 07:48 AM »
All you have to ask yourself is do you fish in a permanent more, or do you stay outside?
-Tom

Offline ff318

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Aug 24, 2014, 08:05 AM »
do you plan on fishing ever were that has power? a spare one pound bottle is alot lighter then a generator to recharge your battery auger
flag em and tag em

Offline Dog-duster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Where's the ice?
« Reply #22 on: Aug 24, 2014, 08:38 AM »
Go propane. I love my Jiffy Pro 4 and I bet the new Eskimo propane auger will be a good one too.

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #23 on: Aug 24, 2014, 08:41 AM »
Most go with the electric because of weight...my concern with electric is battery life ...on ice and the "life" of the auger ...the on ice math would probably be  just fine for most ...but the "life"  of the battery is limited ...not sure how long the estimates are for battery life plus those battery packs in the ION are quite pricey  so I'm certain no one carries a spare ...plus how long is the recharge time between outings   ....The "life" of the propane auger with regular maintenance is "forever" so to speak ...you can bring spares on ice and reserves in your truck ..cookware...lantern . The other option is the 18 0r 20 v drill on a hand auger drill unit ...add the Clam plate conversion or kit  for an even better option.. but that too has limitations ...on ice life ...spares...and recharge times . How many holes you drilling per outing? How many back to back outings ? And of course good "ol" gas ...but then its 2 stroke or 4 stroke ......good luck
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline wile.e.1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Aug 24, 2014, 03:28 PM »
after years of drilling with cordless drills, I figured I would go with the ION, but ended up with the propane.  this will be the 2nd year with it,   no problems     starts easy and cuts well
Remember those that served..All gave some...Some gave All

Offline nocod

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Aug 24, 2014, 04:04 PM »
I went propane and happy i did  :)

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #26 on: Aug 24, 2014, 08:04 PM »
Between your choices I'd go with the propane for a few reasons.  My guess is there are a lot more places to have to worked on if need be, propane is pretty cheap and you can get is just about any where, and the replacement batteries aren't cheap and beyond that if you don't have an extra $150 or so sitting around  when they go bad you won't be able to get out fishing unless you have a spare auger of course.  I saw pictures of Eskimo's propane auger they're coming out with this year and it looks real nice.  If I was going to go with a propane auger I'd give the Eskimo some serious consideration.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #27 on: Aug 25, 2014, 08:10 AM »
Go electric!  Icegator has made a new one  that is fantastic   yes the Li Ion batteries are not cheap   but the lead acid ones are very reasonable   bought 2 lead acid for 36 bucks off ebay for 36 bucks for spares   My problem with the batteries is that they are the same size as the kids John Deere gator and tractor so end up buying new ones each fall so they are still fresh for my use! 

I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Aug 25, 2014, 09:28 AM »
My vote would be electric. I got the clam auger plate last year and Milwaukee Fuel with the xc 4.0 lithium batteries and a 7" SM mora and an extension.  The combination is awesome!!! I got 44 holes through 16" of ice @ 0° one morning last winter. Batteries are also reasonably priced ( I purchased 2 for $100) also extremely lightweight.

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Aug 25, 2014, 11:59 AM »
My vote would be electric. I got the clam auger plate last year and Milwaukee Fuel with the xc 4.0 lithium batteries and a 7" SM mora and an extension.  The combination is awesome!!! I got 44 holes through 16" of ice @ 0° one morning last winter. Batteries are also reasonably priced ( I purchased 2 for $100) also extremely lightweight.

is yours a 18 volt drill? if so you could get three 6 volt vex batteries and put them in series for 18 volt. if you have ever drop a lithium ion battery in a drill off a roof you know those packs are full of about 12 double a batteries series-ed together. those 6 volt battery are better and last a heck of a lot longer then the double "a"'s batteries do.. all you need is a waist pack to fill it full of them and throw it over you shoulder wile drilling. then just have two wires coming out of it positive and negative going to the drill.. this all depends on the drills age and if it is worth trying for you? did it to mine and it slams holes all day long even with a lazer auger lol's 5 inch of course want to get a calm plate is on my to by list for sure..       

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.