The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Ling Fishing  (Read 10295 times)

Offline trapper1369

• IceShanty Rookie
Ling Fishing
« on: Feb 27, 2014, 12:30 PM »
Does anyone know what works best for ling bait?

Offline HuntMT4Life

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ling Fishing
« Reply #1 on: Feb 27, 2014, 12:32 PM »
Perch parts...

Offline cnelson

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 27, 2014, 01:01 PM »
dead minnows and shrimp on a treble on the bottom of the lake

Offline NateZ

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 27, 2014, 01:38 PM »
I'm partial to strips of sucker meat on a big glow jig about six inches off the bottom.

Offline Strippnthedream

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Keep ur knots tight and ur lines tighter!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 27, 2014, 01:42 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Itsallaboutcatchingem
Team IceShanty Regular

Re: Ling bait?
« Reply #9 on: Jan 08, 2014, 11:27 AM »Quote
Catch a perch, squeeze it, put it down in the hole.  Perfect.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Luv2strip

So good with my rod I make fish come!

Offline Bigskyokie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 27, 2014, 10:21 PM »
Depends on what the ling are used to eating.  It could be perch, crawdads, sucker meat, worms.  We always used smelt from the grocery store and did very well.  Using the baits on a BIG glow jig really helps.

Offline Onefish wonder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 28, 2014, 08:50 AM »
Sucker meat or smelt the fresher the meat the better... if your jigging use anything that glows, buckshots, jig heads, jigging rapps, spoons, and a drop hook with a nice piece of meat on it. If your using a tipup cut the head off the and halfway up the body from the tail leaving about a 1 to a 1 1/2 inch chunk of fresh bloody meat and drop it as close to the bottem as you can get. Also look for bends in the lake little places where the water drops in a a nice hole. Same thing if your on a river rod fishing find a deep eddy and cast it in there with a lindy rig that way they can take it all before the feel any weight from the line. I will use whole smelt some times just to see if there are any monsters in there. Otherwise same bait tactic. Hope this helps. HAPPY FISHING.
Just Feedn'em

Offline BloodShotP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 28, 2014, 09:14 AM »
Great info 1Shot. Just out of curiosity, when you guys are jigging the big glow jigs, spoons, etc. how often do you have to recharge them? We got some of the small glow jigs for perch, they are barely visibly glowing when we charge them up, and I doubt the glow lasts long enough to even reach the bottom? Do those UV type lights make a huge difference? We used regular headlamps to charge. Anyone tried the old school glow sticks down a hole next to your line? What can you do to increase your glow visibility, any ideas or tips appreciated. PM me if you don't want lurkers to know!!

Offline NateZ

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 28, 2014, 11:53 AM »
As far as recharging the jigs go I'm just not sure. I fish with a buddy who recharges with a camera flash every fifteen minutes. He also jigs like he is having a seizure. I will often dead stick and leave my jig in the water for over an hour just bouncing the jig off the bottom every once in a while.  We don't see a lot of difference in catch rates between the two methods. Ling are a unique creature. Many times we will catch several in one hole and not a bite in an adjacent hole. Where I fish they feed mainly on crayfish but sucker meat still brings them in. They are weird and that makes it really fun. Check out the excellent video posted the other day filmed with the marcum lx-9.

Offline BloodShotP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 28, 2014, 11:12 PM »
Thanks Nate. I had watched that and that video blew my mind, I really want to catch one of those underwater anacondas. I use to have a few pythons and those things are so snake like it is crazy, can't wait to reel one up. I am learning the whole glow thing, but I really do seem to think the glow jigs glow power is minimal. If bright light and attention getting is the main thing, there are a lot of ideas that come to mind better than a little jig or spoon. We Will See.

Offline vicster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Mar 01, 2014, 10:37 AM »
I've only fished them once but did pretty good.  Most of my fish came within 5 min of recharging my jig.  I recharged with on of the little uv lights and my headlamp combined and seemed to do pretty well but the camera flash works really well too.

Offline fishinwithbrittanies

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Mar 01, 2014, 06:21 PM »
I've been testing the glow power of jigs lately on the ice.  I charged up like five or so and left them on on a tackle box one night.  I just watched them for awhile.  It's pretty crazy how much difference there can be between brands.
Its better to have hooked and lost than to have never hooked at all - J.B.

*WARNING*  This man fishes with dogs off leash

Offline eastmont

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Mar 02, 2014, 01:09 PM »
What brand did you find held light the longest?

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Mar 02, 2014, 06:27 PM »
There are few.  It seems as much as anything it's the finish.  The ones that have more of a powdery texture last longest.  I have some with stickers on them and they get really bright and last awhile as well

Offline vicster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Mar 02, 2014, 09:10 PM »
I used a glow tube plastic in addition to the jig head. Highly visible presentation, and worked well for me.

Offline Bigskyokie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Mar 02, 2014, 11:52 PM »
The length of time that the glow jigs will last depends on the quality of the phosphorescent paint.  Those big old jigs that they had at Uncle Bob's in Dillon lasted a long time.  We put them next to a lantern or put them in front of a car's headlight, sometimes just used a headlight that you could put on your head.  They lasted a long time. 

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Mar 04, 2014, 09:33 AM »
I want to try some plastics as well.  There are a bunch of videos on youtube where they are in Utah.  All they use is glow twister tails and they HAMMER them.  Sportsmans has a decent selection of glow plastics but I haven't found anything in the size I want.  Everything is to small or to big.  Of course I have yet to find something that is too big for ling!

Offline rippinlips25

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Mar 04, 2014, 10:45 PM »
i bought my ling glow jigs in dillon at rocky mountian supply great selection there and ive caught ling everytime ive used some of those jigs

Offline vicster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Mar 05, 2014, 08:01 PM »
I got my plastics at sportsmans.  I used a 3.5 in  and  5 in. tubes  Ended up cutting the 5 in down but I'm sure a bigger ling wouldn't hesitate to eat a 5 in bait.  Plastics were still visibly glowing after 15 min when I brought them up to recharge them.

Offline Iowafarmer2014

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Mar 09, 2014, 10:16 AM »
never used any thing that glows. All new to me ,so do plastics and jigs recharge the same? And what really works best? camera on phone work ok? Always have that!!!!

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Mar 09, 2014, 02:00 PM »
I've been using a little LED flashlight I can keep in my pocket.  Stupid iphone gets "cold" to easy and turns off.  It's a pain to keep it buried under clothes just to pull it back out again to recharge.  Flashlight app works best with the phone though

Offline Iowafarmer2014

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Mar 12, 2014, 09:31 PM »
So then how long do you have to shine light on them? Always have a flashlite. But does the facy flash lite you're suppose to use do a better job?

Offline elksavy96

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Mar 18, 2014, 11:56 AM »
where do I find the video that was mentioned?

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Mar 24, 2014, 03:55 PM »
Here's a link to the thread with the video link.
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=287569.0

Offline nutinbutjiggin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Mar 27, 2014, 09:41 AM »
Salted minnows (get em at Rellers in Townsend) for CF. Can't keep the ling off to try and catch a walleye

Offline ARMY1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Dec 02, 2014, 08:47 PM »
bumping this post from last season. I bought a UV light from sportsman's that worked way better than my surefire light for charging glow jigs. the wavelength of the light is important but I do not remember the specific wavelength in nM.

Offline vicster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Dec 02, 2014, 09:09 PM »
I just use my bright led headlamp.  cup your had around it and it charges them pretty quick.  They make uv flashlights that would probaby work better, or a camera flash works best if you have one.

Offline whiptail

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 02, 2014, 10:38 PM »
Pete's tackle Stanley Thumper with a chunk of cut bait.
Whiptail
Pete's Tackle Shop

Offline albo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Dec 02, 2014, 10:43 PM »
hey whiptail, how big of a piece of cut bait
if you're too busy to go fishing, you're too busy

Offline thewyler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go hard or go home