Author Topic: FLashers  (Read 2476 times)

Offline cyclocoastie

• Team IceShanty Regular
FLashers
« on: Feb 26, 2014, 07:38 AM »
I'm thinking about a flasher next year. I wanted to see what you guys are using out there? I'm interested in the Humminbird flashers, anyone use one?
Jesus was an ice fisherman...

Offline Maddog

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: FLashers
« Reply #1 on: Feb 26, 2014, 09:15 AM »
I would go with the Marcum line. Alot of good ones to choose from ;D

Offline vasea

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 26, 2014, 09:46 AM »
I perfer Marcum, you can get a good deal if buy now

Offline cyclocoastie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 26, 2014, 10:09 AM »
What kind of Marcum are you using? Why did you choose your Marcum over other brands and models?

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #4 on: Feb 26, 2014, 10:37 AM »
Ive got a Vex FL18 and cant imagine Id need more.  There are a few different varieties out there, and lots of opinions.  If you can go somewhere to actually see the units side by side........Otherwise, I think if you stick with a major brand, do a little research, lots of opinions on this site, you will be happy.

Offline cyclocoastie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 26, 2014, 10:48 AM »
Thanks Perchnut! I've been researching these for a long time and I've played with them in the store too. But I've only been able to fish with a couple of vexs temporarily. I'd really like to hear what users are finding as shortcomings and success of their own units. Seems like everyone polarizes to Vexilar and Marcums but I don't ever hear much about Humminbirds.

Offline hesseltine32

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yelling at the fish on my screen
« Reply #6 on: Feb 26, 2014, 11:09 AM »
Check out Lawrence as well the elite 4 is a great unit my buddy got one this year the elite 5 has gps on it. Reeds has been having a good sale on flashers the last couple weeks 100 bucks off

Offline cyclocoastie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 26, 2014, 11:25 AM »
Thanks hess! I'm not so worried about the deals to be had as I am spending the money on the right unit. I get pro deals or have access to pro deals on many of these units. But I only want to do this once!

Offline jbscrazies

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 26, 2014, 12:43 PM »
I have an Humminbird Ice55 and my father-in-law has an Ice35.  No problems.  It's like anything else, everyone has their preference but as long as you have a flasher with the options that you feel you need (like zoom for example), you should be happy.  My uncle used my Ice55 a couple times and wanted to get one but didn't want to spend quite that much.  He ended up getting a Marcum LX-3tc on sale for the price he wanted to spend and he's happy with it.  So my advice is to decide on how much you want to spend and then evaluate the options available at that price point and pick the one you like the best.  Either way, you'll be much happier on the ice next year.

Offline cyclocoastie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 26, 2014, 04:43 PM »
I like the Humminbird Ice 35. The idea of the dual beam at the price of the Vexilar fl-8 is inspiring. But there is definately a love/hate with the Birds. I like the idea of the Lowrance Elite 4, but the screen seems small and while the price is attractive, is the flaher mode as percise as a flasher? I'm currently using an old graph. It works just fine. I'm really looking to up the anti on the ice. The graphs haveva flasher like display, but I'd say (at least mine) isn't as detailed as a flasher.

Offline Douger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 27, 2014, 07:03 AM »
Jon, if we get out on Deep Creek next week you can play around with my Elite 5 HDI that I had with me the last time up there.  You can run both flasher and traditional sonar side by side on the screen if you want to see the flasher ops.  I will also show you a recording I happened to capture from Lake Champlain when I picked off a pike at 15 FOW when fishing in 25 FOW.  Hopefully the fish will be a little more aggressive this time.

Offline cyclocoastie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 27, 2014, 07:40 AM »
Sounds good Doug!

Offline flyfishbowhunticefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 27, 2014, 09:56 AM »
I'm looking as well...but mine will double as a summertime unit for my kayak and navigation for duckhunting. so im looking at the hummingbird 386ci...it has it all. Still not sure though
Y'all catchin?

Offline vasea

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 27, 2014, 10:44 AM »
I got Marcum lx3 and I love it, unit is ready for use out of the box, I do not know much about other companies, based my choice on general information and appearance, Elite 4 is also a good option because it is universal, my opinion is that most important quality is reliability.

Question: Who can tell me what are advantages of dual beam? Does it solve the problem of all extra signal when fishing the area with a sudden change of depth?

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 27, 2014, 07:58 PM »
Hunninbird 597ci sonar/gps combo is on its way from cabelas!  it was more than originally planned, but it has it all. And its on sale. It surely wont be making it in before sunday but after the next weekend hopefully we still have safe ice n ill let u know how it works for me....super stoked to use it in the rivers on the eastern shore soon for crappies and perch out of the kayak...that's gonna be awesome! I may even bring a ice rod just for vertical jigging...lol
Y'all catchin?

Offline REB9

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 27, 2014, 08:19 PM »
I've got a Vexilar fl18.  Resolution to 1/2 inch, u can dial out nearby clutter from other flashers...  Gets down to personal preference.  I've tried em all.  Loved my old Zercom colorpoint also.   

I like the vexes because once u get used to it u can tell small fish from big ones...  Others may do that to, but my research found you can't go wrong with a Vex.   So far, I'm a believer.

REB9

Offline cyclocoastie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 28, 2014, 09:31 AM »
vasea, the dual beams allow you change your cone width so you can see more of what's around your hole rather than just what's directly below you. The problem is, that just because you know more about what's around you doesn't necessarily tell you in which direction you need to be going!

Offline vasea

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 28, 2014, 07:23 PM »
As of my short experience I had only one problem so far, and this is fishing near the steep incline, side of the cone picks up the incline and displays it so you can see nothing near the bottom, so I think that narrow beam might be helpful in this situation.

Offline TRAPPER3

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 28, 2014, 07:32 PM »
i have ice fished for 30+ years and got a marcum last year for Christmas......never used electronics before that.....got the showdown and I am really impressed ...shows fish as lines easy to read for us old fellas......like a video game ...lol.... see the fish come and watch the rod......
from what i read the marcum and vex are both great units....all preference after that !!!!
Good Luck !

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Mar 03, 2014, 05:15 PM »
Anybody here ever use or own a HB 597 ci hd GPS DI combo?  Cant seem to find anything online about the battery life. Plus I want to know what chip is most effective for inland lakes, and does the navionics hotmaps chips have deep creek? cant seem to find a full list of all the lakes.
Y'all catchin?

Offline hesseltine32

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yelling at the fish on my screen
« Reply #20 on: Mar 04, 2014, 06:39 AM »
Deep creek is on navionics. It's a decent map.

Offline West by Virginia

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Mar 04, 2014, 08:28 AM »
I just got an old Hummingbird 2000 for $30.  It might not have all the bells and whistles, but it is an amazing tool for less than the price of a tank of gas. 

Offline cyclocoastie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Mar 04, 2014, 09:07 AM »
Mine was free and just a little newer than that. The only reason why I want a flasher is because the color detail can give you some idea of the substrait and cover characteristics as well as fish size, where these old school grids fall slightly short.

I've been reading more on the Humminbird 35. I know someone said their dad had one of these and like it. What features did he like on the 35 that the comparable Vex and Marcum may have had or didn't have?

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Mar 04, 2014, 09:12 AM »
I have an ice45. It's a great machine but every once in a while it starts vibrating a bit and it'll drive me nuts. Just move it a little and it stops... for a while. I also get a "ghost" at around 2 ft. The owners manual says it's just algae and turbulance just under the ice. either way it doesn't bother me much, but I've never seen it on another unit. I was fishing with a buddy that had a vex-18. I was much more impressed with it than the bird. I'll probably sell the bird at the end of the season and get a vex.

Offline cyclocoastie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Mar 04, 2014, 09:15 AM »
Thanks Spider....what would ask for the 45?

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Mar 04, 2014, 09:16 AM »
oh, one more thing. The reason for the different angles is that with a narrow beam in shallow water you will see a much smaller area than with a wide beam and in deep water a narrow beam won't show too much and pick up too much junk on the bottom and you'll get a cleaner signal. You use the wide beam for shallow water, say 25ft or less and the narrow beam for deeper water.

sending you a pm

Offline cyclocoastie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Mar 12, 2014, 09:09 PM »
Super big thanks to everyone who chimed in on this thread! Helps me out alot for next year! Sure is good to know we're all in this togeather eh!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.