Author Topic: May be moving to IL  (Read 2793 times)

Offline Yote

• Team IceShanty Regular
May be moving to IL
« on: Feb 24, 2014, 03:45 PM »
Hey all,

I'm graduating college in May here in SD and may be accepting a job out in your neck of the woods. The job is based in McHenry. The old lady is from out that way and I'm getting a lot of influence on her part... One major issue I have with this move is my perceived lack of walleye fishing in that area. I've been spoiled on walleyes and jumbo perch. Does anybody target eyes through the ice around here?
keep yer stick on the ice.

Offline blufloyd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re: May be moving to IL
« Reply #1 on: Feb 24, 2014, 04:36 PM »
Do not do it.  Illinois sucks as a state for a lot of reasons.  Finances etc.  New jobs and new women are a better fit.
I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent. ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

Offline DU4LIFE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 24, 2014, 07:04 PM »
Its a great move if you don't care about your 2A rights and like paying for a bunch of welfare recipients. Oh and the libtards show no signs of letting up. Soon they will have a  tax for ice fishing  ;).  I'm with blu on this one.

Offline Bj1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 24, 2014, 07:47 PM »
stay put!!!!

Offline fish333

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 24, 2014, 08:07 PM »
I guess I would have to agree with the guys. Gosh go north to the oil fields. I think here would be more money there. Good luck what ever you do!!! :tipup:

Offline OnTheEdge

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 24, 2014, 10:41 PM »
Wow, those are some harsh reflections on the area.  I recently moved here to follow my lady (without a real job), and from what I've seen so far you could do worse than the Chicago area for fishing opportunities.  From what I can tell you've got to go north to WI or MN for walleyes, but Lake Michigan has plenty of perch, even if the fishery is a shadow of its former self.  I'm hoping to run into some salmon and trout along the shoreline this spring and fall.  I came from Connecticut, so 2A considerations and taxes are pretty much a wash.  Good luck with your move

Offline Nutsicles

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Can't sleep, ice season is too short!!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 24, 2014, 11:26 PM »
Fox river and fox chain of lakes run through Lake/McHenry counties. Good fishing through the ice. I Don't have a boat for open water though, so I've only open water fished it a few times.  "The Chain" as the locals call it, turns into a pleasure boating and jet ski free for all in the summer. No respect for the fisherman. Lots of bars/restaurants on the chain as well. Lots of other lakes in the area too. I'm just over the border in wisconsin, and fish the chain a few times each winter. Mainly for panfish.

If you like firearms, Illinois is not the state for you. You have to apply for a F.O.I.D card, that's a firearm owner identification card for those that don't know. Illinois is the only state that has them. It takes forever to receive, you need it to purchase both guns, and ammo. You still have to pass a background check for any gun purchase, so the card is pointless.

Here's the kicker, you have to renew your FOID every few years. Doesn't seem like a big deal, until you forget, or wait until the last minute. The turn around time is ridiculous, If you renew a month before it expires, it may not come until a month or two later. I've heard stories of much longer processing times, since they just passed the conceal carry law. So technically you would be in felony possession of firearms, and ammunition.

I was born and raised in northeast Illinois. That above is one of the many reasons I left. I'm ten minutes from the Illinois and Wisconsin border, so I can still see family and not have to deal with the ridiculous gun laws, and property taxes. If you do move out there let me know. The chain is about 45 minutes from me, so we could meet up, and chase some walleyes.

Offline Cranked

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 25, 2014, 09:45 AM »
Do your family a great service and move to southern Wisconsin and commute. Mchenry isn't that much of a commute and you won't be subject to Illinois' ridiculous laws and taxes.

Offline CharlieBrn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Mar 16, 2014, 11:58 AM »
Yote,  I second Cranked and his comment on the commute.  Having lived in Chicago and Northwest Wisconsin in the past,  I know all too well Illinois' wacked laws.  Of course now, I've moved further north and west to Alaska, still I remember how frustrating the laws can be.  Not to mention the taxes etc. etc. etc.  Good luck to ya.

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 26, 2014, 06:10 PM »
I live right next to  Mchenry. Actually have a Mchenry mailing address. Its not a bad place. The chain indeed holds lots of fish. But beware of the thousands of pleasure boaters! Very high real-estate taxes. High personal tax rate. Everything you buy has a tax added on. The state is broke and the democrats in charge spend money like there is no tomorrow or the bill will never come due.  Bills eventually always come due. Plus IDNR is broke. The schools are mediocre at best. That said I used to do great fishing around here and at times still do. The thing is I invade cheese land as much as possible to do my fishing. There was a time that if you couldn't make a good or great living in Chicago land you couldn't make it any where. That is not the case any more. Unemployment is high. If you have a choice. I would opt for somewhere else. That being said if you do come. Welcome to the rat race. As soon as kids are out of the house and its feasible. My wife and I are moving out of Illinois.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline Hoosier

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Bucket,some bait and,,what did she ask me to do??
« Reply #10 on: Mar 27, 2014, 08:12 PM »
Inlaws are Woodstock addey/McHenry phone. It is an awesome place. alot of really nice homes and properties. Spent a lot of time up there. Wife and I have talked about moving up there, but then the reading up on things came into play. Taxes, across the board are higher than I think they should be. Unemployment is high too and I aint  workin in Chitown, I hate drivin anywhere close to the place and not to mention the gun laws really suck. I will say the land is beautiful the lakes and ponds are awesome too. Indiana trails everywhere it seems. and yes its not far from some even better fishin in Wisc. Really is a shame I would love to have the kids grow up in such a beautiful area.

Offline Tod

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2014, 03:24 PM »
Many of the above comments are true but fishing in northern IL can be awesome some my biggest fish come from home waters and trust me I fish all over some yrs holding 7 different states and Canada. I travel to different states for many reasons before I get asked if fishing is so great why do I leave the state!

Right now the Fox Chain is producing walleye's with many fish over 27''.

Let me know if you move east.
Bring It

Offline muskiewrangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born to fish
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2014, 04:55 PM »
Many of the above comments are true but fishing in northern IL can be awesome some my biggest fish come from home waters and trust me I fish all over some yrs holding 7 different states and Canada. I travel to different states for many reasons before I get asked if fishing is so great why do I leave the state!

Right now the Fox Chain is producing walleye's with many fish over 27''.

Let me know if you move east.

Fox Chain have been amazing for fishing this year and one of my home lakes had me land my personal best crappie! 18incher!!!
Be who you are and don't listen to others that say you shouldn't. That's how life should be lived as.

Offline hardwatercrazy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2014, 08:13 AM »
Fox Chain have been amazing for fishing this year and one of my home lakes had me land my personal best crappie! 18incher!!!
I would like to see a picture of an 18" crappie ::)

Offline muskiewrangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born to fish
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2014, 12:25 PM »
The perks of living in Illinois  ::)

Be who you are and don't listen to others that say you shouldn't. That's how life should be lived as.

Offline Gadget Geek

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Sep 13, 2014, 11:34 PM »
I was born and raised in the Chicago area or Chicago Land as we call it here. Depending on what type of work you're looking for it might the place to get a good start. There is all kinds of paper pushing going on downtown and we still have a good manufacturing base. Yes the governor is a tax raising bleeding heart liberal and the guy who would replace him is a crook. Without a doubt there are way too many social parasites who are sucking a living off the welfare system... Illinois is broke, in serious debt and there is no relief in sight.

Fishing here has improved tremendously over the last couple of decades most of which I attribute to cleaner water and catch and release fishing practices. Too much of the good local water is in private hands and even if you can get access for open water fishing, ice fishing is usually strictly forbidden. Walleye and perch are better sought after elsewhere, at least through the ice. Perch fishing on the lakefront is decent and you can even catch them through the ice when the harbors freeze over. Try panfish and bass fishing, bass through the ice are a lot of fun, you just have to ferret out the good spots for yourself.

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Sep 14, 2014, 12:04 PM »
Well Yote. What's the story? did ya make it out here?
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline ZodiacWI

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Sep 14, 2014, 01:46 PM »
I'm originally from SE Wisconsin, and I had a store in McHenry for quite awhile.

I've spent a lot of time in the area. And I have friends that now live in Racine, Wisconsin, but are originally from McHenry. It's a nice place.

But people are right, live in Wisconsin, work in IL.

McHenry is not far away from some smaller towns in WI.

And literally a TON of people do it. Everything is cheaper in WI, and wages are generally a bit higher in IL.

Offline nova

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Sep 28, 2014, 08:30 AM »
There ya go if that isn't enough to make you wanna move to the great state of Illinois I don't know what is. 

Offline Cantgetenough

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Sep 28, 2014, 10:46 AM »
I think we scared him off!! Nice to know I'm not the only one who dislikes what has happened here. If I didnt have to take care of my elderly mom I would be moving north. See you all on first ice in south bay...
Be Safe, Be Smart, Have a Great Time!!!

Offline clm

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Sep 28, 2014, 10:55 AM »
28 years ago, I moved from northeastern South Dakota to Iowa.   There is not a day that goes by, that I don't wish I still lived there.  I could not even imagine having to live in Illinois.    Do yourself a huge favor and stay in God's country.   It sounds  like you're a younger man, who is just getting started in life.  It's very easy to go somewhere with the intention of staying for a while and then moving on.  Problem is that things happen during this time.  You get a decent job, a couple promotions, kids and pretty soon your roots are planted and moving isn't feasible.    These are things to seriously consider.   Good luck

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.