The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Thick ice causing me issues....  (Read 595 times)

Offline ddlpole

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thick ice causing me issues....
« on: Feb 22, 2014, 06:58 PM »
We have around 2 ft of ice.  Seems like I can drill 6 holes easily, then for whatever reason, the auger won't bite when it gets down over a foot.  Still has full power, just not cutting.  Applying more pressure doesn't really help either.  I have a Pro 4 lite, but noticed the same thing with my previous Legend Lightning.  The blades aren't icing up.  Anyone got some ideas on what I'm doing wrong?   If the ice is under a foot thick, I've never had issues.  Only the thick stuff.

Offline GH

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Thick ice causing me issues....
« Reply #1 on: Feb 22, 2014, 07:43 PM »
try lifting up the auger about half down the hole to clear the shaft of ice, snow and or slush. then proceed to drill. hope this help

Offline coboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 22, 2014, 08:20 PM »
GH's suggestion may help. This could be a far fetched idea but maybe the ice is harder as you drill deeper and could be slowing it down. One thing I can think of would be
to try sharper blades. 30 inches of ice here and no problem drilling. Only other thing I can think of is as you drill deeper you might not have the auger perpendicular to the ice
and could be binding the auger because you are changing the angle of the drill as you drill deeper. For me I have to pay more attention drilling through thick ice just so the hole
isn't at a bad angle to set up over.

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #3 on: Feb 22, 2014, 08:47 PM »
I would make sure the flighting is cleared out and the  hole in the middle of the auger does not get jammed up. This happened to me about 3 weeks ago. It never happened before.

I thought my blade finally crapped out but when I got all the frozen slushy crud out of the flighting and the center of the auger so it could move up and out of the hole, it worked fine.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline indeeptreble

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Every hour you fish adds an hour to your life!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 23, 2014, 12:15 PM »
check this video out> That's me on Pasqua lake Saskatchewan last year ice was getting pretty rotten and the bottom starts to melt out become porous. When you get down into that its like slush and tends to put a lot of pressure on the auger and can stall the auger.

http://youtu.be/daCW3fXF5Js

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.