Author Topic: Big Buddy Heater  (Read 3326 times)

Offline PdotIF

• IceShanty Rookie
Big Buddy Heater
« on: Feb 20, 2014, 10:36 AM »
How are the Big Buddy heaters? Ive bought 2 regular sunflower heaters and they were both GARBAGE! Or maybe someone knows how to fix these heaters, the one is leaking from one seal and the other wont stay lit...
Team Slay

Offline travis2091

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Big Buddy Heater
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20, 2014, 01:16 PM »
Buddy heater are the way to go. I have two big buddy's I run off a propane tank. Works like a dream

Offline MBRaz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 20, 2014, 02:19 PM »
For my money it's the best shanty heater around.  Throws more heat than the single sunflower, easy to start, and pretty durable (haven't broken mine yet).  I would recommend these heaters.

Offline PdotIF

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 20, 2014, 08:26 PM »
Sweet thanks guys! How long would you say a 1 pounder would last on a -20 day? Just want to compare it my sunflower
Team Slay

Offline travis2091

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 20, 2014, 09:24 PM »
It would last all day for sure. I run at 10 pounder abd go a lot and am just about running out now, the little green tanks are about a day deal if you stick two in in.  I prefer the old
BBQ propane tank and adapter

Offline 40 Creek

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 20, 2014, 11:32 PM »
How are the Big Buddy heaters? Ive bought 2 regular sunflower heaters and they were both GARBAGE! Or maybe someone knows how to fix these heaters, the one is leaking from one seal and the other wont stay lit...

The heater that wont stay lit, sounds like the tip over switches are not working. I had the same problem with mine until I replaced them.

I have a big buddy and it works well, but I find it doesn't heat the 6x12 pop-up shacks as well as a double sun flower.

Offline PdotIF

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 21, 2014, 07:34 AM »
The heater that wont stay lit, sounds like the tip over switches are not working. I had the same problem with mine until I replaced them.

I have a big buddy and it works well, but I find it doesn't heat the 6x12 pop-up shacks as well as a double sun flower.
That's interesting I was thinking it might be te tip over switch. Did you  replace it your self? I was thinking about trying to somehow by pass the safety switch... Might not be the greatest idea but I'm desperate! As for the big buddy where's the best place to buy em? I know cabelas has them but I'm sure there's a place out there with a better price!
Team Slay

Offline teemu2424

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 21, 2014, 10:25 AM »
Canadian tire or even wholesale sports would most likely have them!  ;D

Offline oldccm

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 21, 2014, 10:25 AM »
We had to by-pass the safety on one of our double sunflowers. Works great, but obviously no safety now. On the other double 1 side only works if it's perfectly straight the other has to be tipped upward a bit.

Offline thinktwicez71

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 21, 2014, 10:26 AM »
absolutely love mine !

Offline Steven_fishing1998

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 21, 2014, 10:26 AM »
The 1 pound green propane tanks do NOT last all day, in the mr.heater they last a good 4 hours of continuous use. Don't invest In the 1 pounders get a 5 pound propane tank and you have to buy the adapter (30$) and you save a lot of money.
The curious thing about fishing is that you never want to go home. If you catch anything you can't stop, if you don't catch anything, you hate to leave in case something might bite.

Offline kris127

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 21, 2014, 10:30 AM »
is the double sunflower a mr heater? check and make sure the little black tip over switches are straight, if there is any bend whatsover that side will not light. i seen cabelas has the buddy heaters on sale...run a 20lb tank and adapter like mentioned or you will have some very expensive days ahead of you...those 1lbers are 4 bucks a piece compared to 16 bucks at costco for a 20lb er...just my thought

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 21, 2014, 10:40 AM »
Me for the small 5 pounders are the right size, not to heavy to carry around like the 20lb. Even the 10lb is good. I know for me it costs 9$ to fill up my 5 pounder and that lasts me 24 straight hours. 9$ for 24 hours of straight use with the 5lb is the way to go. If you keep buying the 1 pounders they will cost you a fortune.
The curious thing about fishing is that you never want to go home. If you catch anything you can't stop, if you don't catch anything, you hate to leave in case something might bite.

Offline travis2091

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 21, 2014, 11:29 AM »
Only run one green tank at a time, you only need to
Run it on low with the fan going, if
You need more heat than that stick to summer fishing;)

Offline travis2091

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 21, 2014, 11:32 AM »
I think you'd get more than just 24 hours?  ive been running a 10 pound all season. I only run mine on low so that could be it

Offline SpartySturg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 21, 2014, 11:42 AM »
Love my Mr. Buddy heater.  I have the smaller one.  I use green tanks as the weight and bulk of the bigger tanks is an issue as I mostly walk to my spots.  The small green tank last about 4 hours on low and 2.5 on high.  Although, on high it gets way to warm in my FatFish!
Yesterday was a crazy weather event here in Michigan.  Snow, about 3 inches, then wind, then rain and hard rain with lightening.  Crazy.  Made for a very tough slog back to the car, which was over a 1/2 mile walk.  Good exercise!

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 21, 2014, 12:27 PM »
I have my 5lb propane always on high so it lasts a good 24-28 hours continuous.

Offline 40 Creek

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 21, 2014, 03:51 PM »
That's interesting I was thinking it might be te tip over switch. Did you  replace it your self? I was thinking about trying to somehow by pass the safety switch... Might not be the greatest idea but I'm desperate! As for the big buddy where's the best place to buy em? I know cabelas has them but I'm sure there's a place out there with a better price!

I did replace the tip over switches my self. I think they are 6 bucks each. They just screw on and off the metal frame and then connect the wires to the new switches.

I have toyed with the idea of by passing the switches, but then that's not safe. But I run my double heater off a 20lb propane tank that I have in a plastic crate. I cant see how I would ever tip that over but you never know.
I don't know where the cheapest place to get a big buddy heater is. Sorry.

Offline PdotIF

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 25, 2014, 09:22 AM »
I've got an adapter so i can refill the 1 pounders from my 30lb at home. I'll check to make sure that those guys are straight, I love how much heat the sunflowers kick out just frustrated with their readability.... If the switch is only 6 bucks maybe ill do that.   
Team Slay

Offline PdotIF

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 25, 2014, 09:25 AM »
I think as long as you don't TIP the heater over the safety switch isn't that important! If anyone sees a shack on fire out there you know who it is tho...
Team Slay

Offline fishaman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 26, 2014, 12:11 AM »
BB is a good heater. If you take the front shield off and zip tie it to the handle it doubles as a grill. Forget the 1lbers. Get a bigger tank so you have more fuel than you expect to need. You never know when you'll need it. I started with the 1lb tanks, but realized quickly, its expensive, they freeze up easily in cold weather, and my BB just didn't heat well till I put a big tank on. WORLD OF DIFFERENCE! Plus I'm well prepared if we run into bad weather or get stranded. 10 lb  tank is perfect for me.
Go fish.

Offline frozengator

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Feb 26, 2014, 01:15 AM »
Great heater, I can't believe the one that says it won't heat a 6x12 ??? Even on High? Heck that runs me out of my shack if I leave it on. I flip it on high for about 5 min. after we open the door or just set up. It will run you out if you leave it on. I get about 4 to 5 hours on two 1lbs tanks.
Gator Nation

Offline dkozyra15

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 26, 2014, 07:45 AM »
Frozengator no disrespect but you don't live in manitoba we've had 71 -30 Celsius days this winter add some wind and most of those days are -40 big buddy in a 6 man tent doesn't cut it! I believe minus 30 Celsius is around -22 Fahrenheit imagine that for 71 days straight welcome to where we live lol
A bad day of fishing is still better then a good day @ work!

Offline frozengator

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Feb 26, 2014, 08:40 AM »
Holy Moly No! And thank heavens we haven't. You keep it. LOL -teens is as bad as we have had. Sorry Now I see what you mean.  ;D
Gator Nation

Offline Torp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Mar 01, 2014, 06:51 PM »
I'm not saying this is a good idea but this is what I have done to my double sunflower. I took the tip over switches out completely and installed toggle switches. If it is cold out I start out with both sun flowers and when the tent gets warm I just turn the toggle switch off and only run one. I run a 20 lb tank and it is in  milk crate so it's kind of tough to tip over.
If I can't be fishing or at least buying fishing tackle, then I may as well be reading about it or talking about it.

Offline Svengalli

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Apr 11, 2014, 12:19 PM »
The old sunflowers didn't have tip over switches on them but the newer ones do, and "off brands" too, and they can be a pain in the rear.  Even a slight bang or moving the positioning on the heater would cause the steel ball in the switch to pop out of the bowl and poof out it goes.  As far as safety goes it only prevents problems in the event of a complete tip over.  Agreed Torp, if my double sunflower on a 20lb tank, in a milk crate tips over, it's because I tripped on the damn thing in which case I know it tipped over or a snow machine crashed into my pop-up. 

The other problem I could see is on the boat in fall and the waves, wake, movements in the boat would keep shutting off the single sunflower every 2 seconds. Thankfully my old single sunflower doesn't have the tip over switch. I like to bring it out for those days when the spray freezes and turns to ice pellets before it hits you  ;D.

I removed and bypassed the tip over switches in my double with no issues.

Offline 40 Creek

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Apr 11, 2014, 03:47 PM »
I'm not saying this is a good idea but this is what I have done to my double sunflower. I took the tip over switches out completely and installed toggle switches. If it is cold out I start out with both sun flowers and when the tent gets warm I just turn the toggle switch off and only run one. I run a 20 lb tank and it is in  milk crate so it's kind of tough to tip over.

Toggle switches is a great idea. I would like to see a picture of that if you don't mind? And what kind of toggle switches did you use?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.