Author Topic: Walking out of Catawba  (Read 2712 times)

Offline Waterbite

• IceShanty Rookie
  • No problems exist w/ Cooler full of Fish
Walking out of Catawba
« on: Feb 19, 2014, 04:37 PM »
Just curious if anybody went out of the Millers Ferry area and how bad the snow was.   NOt having a 4-wheeler, its hard to get excited about dragging a sled and fighting that stuff,
Stay Warm, Stay Dry, Stay Safe

Offline bones

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Walking out of Catawba
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19, 2014, 04:54 PM »
Welcome to the site. Be careful about the Miller thing. You will be warned off the area like it has the plague. It is dangerous at times though. Fishing is hot out there most of the time so you have to weigh the risk as you do on any ice anywhere.

Offline mdrobny

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • common sense is no longer common
« Reply #2 on: Feb 20, 2014, 08:57 AM »
people fishing that area have most likely got there by going west and then north to get around the area right out from millers.
2 weeks ago I sat on 13" of ice out there,6-7" was good clear ice, last week( Friday) I went out and set up before light. about an hour into it I noticed there was very little good clear ice left and was all white snow ice. still had 10-11" but not strong ice. had two fish already but it just spooked me enough to get moving.  not trying to scare anyone but I would be very CAUTIOUS out there with the forecasts

Offline Waterbite

• IceShanty Rookie
  • No problems exist w/ Cooler full of Fish
« Reply #3 on: Feb 20, 2014, 09:33 PM »
Thx for the comebacks   I am well aware of the precarious ice conditions in that area, but we can have another thread on that issue.  I was looking for info on the conditions "On top" of the ice.   With this warmer weather and rain coming, Not going to risk it unless we get some good cold nights again.   
Stay Warm, Stay Dry, Stay Safe

Offline Erieguy1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 2014, 07:39 AM »
wont have to worry about that area after Tuesday with the Tug and Barge coming through . May have just saved your life .

Dale

Offline sloughslabber

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 21, 2014, 11:20 PM »
wont have to worry about that area after Tuesday with the Tug and Barge coming through . May have just saved your life .

Dale

Dang man you really sound like a downer.

Offline Erieguy1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 22, 2014, 07:43 AM »
Not being a downer at all . That area is the well known for bad ice and eating equipment. So.far 7 quads have went through in that area this winter.  The tug coming in Tuesday will only hurt the ice in that area and will not stop the fishing to the west one bit.

Guys see others fishing the passage that take the route said above and think they can go right off the ferry area to get there without knowing the danger. Many have found that out the hard way .
Dale

Offline mdrobny

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • common sense is no longer common
« Reply #7 on: Feb 22, 2014, 08:30 AM »
Not being a downer at all . That area is the well known for bad ice and eating equipment. So.far 7 quads have went through in that area this winter.  The tug coming in Tuesday will only hurt the ice in that area and will not stop the fishing to the west one bit.

Guys see others fishing the passage that take the route said above and think they can go right off the ferry area to get there without knowing the danger. Many have found that out the hard way .
Dale
x2 Dale!!   the last season of real good ice(4-5 yrs. ago?) was not normal either in the ice was good there. It gave a lot of people
the impression that it is an access point and it really is not.

Offline leftydeadeye

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "Well Done is Better than Well Said"(Ben Franklin)
« Reply #8 on: Mar 04, 2014, 09:15 PM »
Hey, You can walk out of Catabwa fine, the ice is very good, just follow the quad and sled tracks.  The area that you described, from Millers Ferry is some very shady ice even in conditions like we have had. There is some very high current flows on both sies of Mouse Island.. There is a  Range Rover on the bottom over in that area.  It went in in Late Jauary during some very good ice.   If you go to Catabwa and head towards Davis Bessie about three miles you will find some 23 ft water.. We have caught quite a few there and we have been walking it..  It is not to bad now that the snow is gone.   We did it in deep snow, pretty tough..

Offline pearcheyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #9 on: Mar 05, 2014, 12:16 PM »
How far of a walk to get into some eyes

Offline leftydeadeye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Mar 05, 2014, 02:08 PM »
3 miles is how we went, there were many who went farther and many who went less.  We did very well,,  near  C can maybe a little farther North.   Don't know about the guys closer..  I figured it was better to go as far as the machines were going .

Offline eyefisher2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Mar 06, 2014, 12:50 PM »
Leftydeadeye.    Did you mean G or F can?    C can is roughly 11 miles from catawba.... F is 3.5 and G is 4.5.....those are rough estimates and all in a straight line from the state park.   

Offline leftydeadeye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Mar 06, 2014, 03:05 PM »
I'm sorry, I meant around  (F) can  maybe just a little North and not quite West to it.  GPS  showed 3.1 miles almost a B line from Catabwa  to the Power Plant.

Thinking about hitting it on Saturday,  got my quad set up... so if I get everything else around I will be there.

Offline leftydeadeye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Mar 06, 2014, 04:11 PM »
Hey Eyefisher2  , I see you are from Lima??  I'm from North of Lima,, Gomer..

Offline eyefisher2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Mar 06, 2014, 05:06 PM »
Yes sir actually more like cairo.    Im on state rd

Offline gdccsc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 07, 2014, 08:51 AM »
I'm from lima..Shawnee rd...headin up sat eve...fishin sun-tues...fish-on   

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor