The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Jiffy not cutting well  (Read 590 times)

Offline SKaquaholic

• IceShanty Rookie
Jiffy not cutting well
« on: Feb 14, 2014, 11:49 AM »
I have a buddy that has a 3hp Jiffy and is running a 10" auger.  The problem is that it has NO power.  The last  time we were out it, the first few were 5min holes. After that it seemed to catch and was able to drill about 18-24" ice in 30 seconds.  He thinks the head has no power, I think that the plate/blade on the bottom being loose is causing more of an issue than he thinks.  It will pivot a few degrees either way.  I think it 'caught' because he drilled a few holes then let it sit for a bit (I think the water froze and solidified the pivot point and allowed it to cut better).  How does a guy know what angle to set that plate at if it is super loose?
Can anyone provide any insight into this?

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
Re: Jiffy not cutting well
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20, 2014, 03:33 PM »
Pics would help but I have a couple questions.

When you say plate, what are you referring to, I believe the blade shield just screw into the bottom of the flighting?

Are you saying you can grab the blade and wiggle it up and down? Meaning the screws that hold it are loose?

It would take a pretty good whack to get that bit off angle, not saying it couldn't happen, just that there maybe other issues.

Can I assume the engine was running well during this whole time or did it bog down when he was cutting?
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Jiffy not cutting well
« Reply #2 on: Feb 20, 2014, 08:46 PM »
The round end plate the blade bolts to should be perpendicular (square) to the drill shaft. There should be some sort of wedge in the end of the drill tube that helps center it and a bolt running trough the tube and end plate. The bolt holds everything together and should not be loose.

It is possible the motor is not running right. Fouled spark plug, bad gas, carburetor needs adjustment, dirt in carb, fuel issue and etc. The drill should still be in good shape and tight. Make sure the blade and center point is sharp also.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.