Author Topic: To keep or not to keep  (Read 20764 times)

Offline Bigggcountry

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I'm not a man prone to sharing my secrets.
To keep or not to keep
« on: Feb 13, 2014, 07:48 PM »
The average clutch size is 23,000 eggs, but can range from 2,000 to 90,000. Most research has shown the maximum age to be approximately 9–10 years Yellow perch typically reach sexual maturity in 2–3 years for males and 3–4 years for females. Let's say there are 5,000 sexually mature females in Cascade a year that would mean 115 million eggs a year. Let's say that only 1/2 the eggs get fertilized that's 57.5 million, and let's say that half of those make it it two years that's over 28.5 million 2-3" perch for the jumbos to eat. I think it really depends more on the fishery than the fish. I grew up fishing a lake where catching 16-17er" wasn't uncommon and most people didn't even think of keeping them if the were under 12".  The limit was 30 and most days it was pretty easy to catch a limit. At the end of the day it's up to the individual, but if ya keep it ya better eat it

Offline weigand

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: To keep or not to keep
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2014, 08:34 PM »
Great, but I would say that way less than 50% (of the 57million) make to year two.

Offline StrikeMojo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 14, 2014, 07:35 AM »
Spoke to a F&G biologist a couple days ago about this issue.  He told me the biggest issue facing C.J. Strike right now is over proliferation of sexually mature perch, which outcompete crappie, bass, and other fish.  It isn't just happening in Strike, he also cited Lowell and potentially Cascade as having the same issue.  Remember the size of the crappie that were in Cascade during the perch slump?  Yeah, that isn't going to happen again soon, with all those perchlings outcompeting any successful crappie spawing effort.  All of those lakes are set up for a major crash.  The last really successful crappie spawn on Strike was in 2006.  The perch spawn first, and the fry eat a ton of zooplankton.  They don't leave much for the crappie, bass, and bluegill fry to feed on. 

I agree that you won't catch a 17" perch in any lake if you kill them all at 12", but we (sportsmen) aren't killing ALL the big ones.

Like I have said many times, keep what you are gonna eat, they will make more.  Just do not waste the ones you keep.
Tight Lines,

Offline Duck-Slayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 2014, 09:17 AM »
http://hatch.cehd.umn.edu/research/fish/fishes/yellow_perch.html

how many minnows does a jumbo perch eat in a year? my guess would be way less than 2,000 as they don't always feed on minnows, especially when other bugs and organisms are 'hatching

I respect your thoughts masterson, I personally think the 12"+ perch eat a ton of 2" and smaller perch/minnows almost exclusively, from May too April almost every jumbo I've caught has at least 1 perch minnow in its stomach, so in my opinion if you take out too many big perch there will be more little fish, and they exclusively eat plankton and bugs.... At times they may eat the same foods...

On another note how's your season been going?
Matt
Duck-Slayers new nickname is "DUD-switch".  Just for the record......  BITE ME

TEAM SPUDSICKLE..... 
2012 Ice Shanty winner - Perch
2012 Cascade Ice Cup Derby winner - Perch
2013 Hard Water Classic winner - Perch
2013 Ice Shanty winner - Perch
2014 Hard Water Classic 2nd - Perch

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2014, 11:14 AM »
this is why i rarely keep any perch over 10" in most lakes. the combined predation will keep the smaller fish from overpopulating and stunting the entire fishery.

bear in mind that crappie, trout, and bass will all feed on perch fingerlings at any given chance they have.

Offline bryantukkah

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 14, 2014, 11:21 AM »
http://hatch.cehd.umn.edu/research/fish/fishes/yellow_perch.html

200,000 to 300,000 eggs is more realistic for the 15+ in perch in cascade ( most egg sacs weigh 12 to 13 ounces before spawning )

how many minnows does a jumbo perch eat in a year? my guess would be way less than 2,000 as they don't always feed on minnows, especially when other bugs and organisms are 'hatching'

This may or may not be relevant here but I've heard that a 3lb largemouth bass can and will eat upwards of 75,000 walleye fry in a single year... My guess would be those perch eat far more than 2000 per year.

Offline FishingSpud

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 14, 2014, 12:27 PM »
this is why i rarely keep any perch over 10" in most lakes. the combined predation will keep the smaller fish from overpopulating and stunting the entire fishery.

bear in mind that crappie, trout, and bass will all feed on perch fingerlings at any given chance they have.

I agree with your assertion about trout and other species feeding on perch fingerlings. In fact, the last time I was fishing out of Blue Heron, I was speaking with an old timer about what the trout were feeding on, and he told me that several trout he caught had 2 inch perch fingerlings in their stomachs which he discovered during the cleaning/filleting process.

Offline curt69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 14, 2014, 12:46 PM »
Perch Rapalas catch fish everywhere . Even waters the don't have Perch , so yes trout eat Perch .
Catch'em and Eat'em

Offline gunslinger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 14, 2014, 02:17 PM »
I know that a mandatory regulation on perch would really aggravate everyone but it would b cool if f&g would do a study and post a recommended method to manage perch population so that concerned sportsmen had a guideline to follow if they chose that was as effective and educated as possible

Offline Duck-Slayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 14, 2014, 03:15 PM »
I know that a mandatory regulation on perch would really aggravate everyone but it would b cool if f&g would do a study and post a recommended method to manage perch population so that concerned sportsmen had a guideline to follow if they chose that was as effective and educated as possible

Not gonna happen, took years too get them too restock cascade with perch, seems that for the most part that other than trout and bass, Id F&G want them gone almost with with no limits,
Matt

TEAM SPUDSICKLE..... 

Offline gunslinger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 14, 2014, 06:07 PM »
Ya thats to bad to. They can easily ruin a small reservoir, however in a large and diverse fishery like cascade they do hav value as a sportfish and bring sportsmen ( money ) into the community that might otherwise go somewhere else. I wouldn't make the drive just to catch my six trout, I could do that a lot closer to home. I wouldn't stop to spend my money at the restaurant, tackle toms, the grocery store, gas station or anywhere else in town if the perch weren't there. They should certainly b seen as a valuable asset and b taken care of. I personally release the big ones simply hoping that that helps keep the small ones in check and provides a sort of balance to the population. I prefer to keep them at 10 to 12 in my opinion just as much meat just less pot belly. But im not claiming that I know best for anyone other than myself. As long as u use all that u take thats great to each his own :) ill just keep doing what I do

Offline the chief

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 14, 2014, 07:39 PM »
eat  what you keep  lol  ;D
Team Spudsickel 2012 1st place rainbow 2016 2nd place perch

Offline deepforks

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 14, 2014, 08:30 PM »
fish and game wants them gone? what's your reasoning behind that? I posted this article on bft. it speaks to the contrary. seems they've been doing quite a lot in an attempt to restore the fishery. and, they've been doing it over the coarse of many years. if they wanted them gone, these types of efforts would not be happening. agree or disagree, it's a good article to read.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2013/10/31/2842539/lake-cascade-bounces-back-and.html

Offline the chief

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 14, 2014, 08:37 PM »
 man lighten up this and just fish and have some fun in the out doors life is to short enjoy the day ;)
Team Spudsickel 2012 1st place rainbow 2016 2nd place perch

Offline bowhunter68

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 14, 2014, 08:47 PM »
I hear the most active volcano in the world at Yellowstone Park is going to erupt soon and we will all be car- pooling to florida .....
BOWHUNTER68

Offline Duck-Slayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 15, 2014, 12:27 PM »
fish and game wants them gone? what's your reasoning behind that? I posted this article on bft. it speaks to the contrary. seems they've been doing quite a lot in an attempt to restore the fishery. and, they've been doing it over the coarse of many years. if they wanted them gone, these types of efforts would not be happening. agree or disagree, it's a good article to read.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2013/10/31/2842539/lake-cascade-bounces-back-and.html

look at the date.... 2004.... they needed too be doing it in the late 90's... it took that long of people complaining about the perch and when the perch went down the trout went down, trout like too eat them... so that's about the only reason they did anything is too help out the trout.... it says quote; continued stocking hundreds of thousands of trout and kokanee, they don't manage panfish in idaho for anglers they do it too feed the trout they stock..... more is spent on those hard too keep alive slimmy snot rockets than just about anything in this state.... can you tell I don't like trout.... ;D i'm not saying this in a derogatory manner, just stating, so don't get mad, just an opinion.... trout have there place in Idaho, but I believe too much money is spent on them, and most people have a complaint when they say that the panfish are an invasive species, so the trout people do have a case when it comes too not wanting the warmwater panfish around..... but too each is own, I'm slowly understanding that I won't change too many minds, but i will keep doing my part....
Matt

TEAM SPUDSICKLE..... 

Offline deepforks

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 15, 2014, 01:19 PM »
"look at the date.... 2004.... they needed too be doing it in the late 90's... "

if you read, they started netting the pikeminnows in the early 2000's. could have been 2001? that's only a couple years off of your "late 90's". being intelligent biologists, it's safe to assume that they realized before the perch population could rebound, they needed to get a jump on thinning out the pikeminnows, correct? so huge planting efforts were not conducted until some years later...AFTER they HAD thinned them out. if the problem was the over abundance of predatory fish, you attack the problem. just continuing to stock perch would more than likely not accomplished anything, at that time. and on a reservoir that can obviously support huge numbers of trophy class trout, perch, kokanee and bass, why would they only focus on one species? yes, this is a trout state, it's IDAHO!! but to say and think idfg wants to eliminate non-trout species is completely unfounded. 

"they don't manage panfish in idaho for anglers they do it too feed the trout they stock"

hmm, fact or your opinion?
guess what, all bigger fish (especially perch) will eat the little fish.

"they say that the panfish are an invasive species"

I'm sorry, but I have lived in Idaho my entire life and have spent that life hunting and fishing. I am an avid fisherman. not once have I ever heard ANYONE call panfish an invasive species. I used to do a lot of flyfishing and have quite a few "purist" type friends. ones that think it's a crime if you're not catching trout on the surface from a free stone stream. never heard anything of the sort from them or their circle of fishermen.

you obviously have a passion for these perch, and I commend that. if you want to see change, I suggest taking your concerns to fish and game. discussions on the forums are great, but if there are complaints and suggestions, those need to move up the ladder. if nothing comes of it, you can at least say you've made the effort. I hope you don't consider any of my 'rant' as a personal attack. not meant to be. I think we're all on the same page as far as the enjoyment of knowing that the next catch could be a new state record. but, there will always be differences on how we think fish should be managed, are being managed, and what should be managed, etc. if we all thought alike, these forums, and life, would be pretty damn boring!!

tight lines everyone...

Offline Duck-Slayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 15, 2014, 02:05 PM »
all my comments are my opinion about what I have read and what "I" see in the regulations, I probably will attend the next fishing regulation proposal meeting,
Matt

TEAM SPUDSICKLE..... 

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 18, 2014, 10:11 PM »
I heard about a group of fisherman out of St Maries Idaho area taking 50 gallon drums over the Moses Lake, Wa and filling them with jumbo perch.  The guy who told me was from St. Maries and said that is why there is a limit on perch on that lake now.  That is what always happens to unmanaged (unprotected) fisheries, they get over fished by the hogs ... and then, some day down the road,  the next fish comes along.

Offline shawdawg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 18, 2014, 10:23 PM »
I heard about a group of fisherman out of St Maries Idaho area taking 50 gallon drums over the Moses Lake, Wa and filling them with jumbo perch.  The guy who told me was from St. Maries and said that is why there is a limit on perch on that lake now.  That is what always happens to unmanaged (unprotected) fisheries, they get over fished by the hogs ... and then, some day down the road,  the next fish comes along.

Ya those guys from St. Maries are the worst  ;D ;D

Sounds like a fish story to me.

Offline 97sx

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 18, 2014, 10:53 PM »

I'd like to shake the hands of the guys who could go out and catch 50 gallon drums (plural now mind you) of perch!  Sounds like some darn good fishermen to me!  Were they taking these drums out onto the ice or just filling them one 5 gallon bucket at a time?  ;D

As for a limits, I personally believe Cascade should have a 15 fish...or 25 tops for perch.

Offline Iceflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Never be late for. Church, Work, and Fishin.
« Reply #21 on: Feb 19, 2014, 04:22 AM »
As for a limits, I personally believe Cascade should have a 15 fish...or 25 tops for perch.

Mmmmmm.....NO.  IMO the perch there at Cascade are not threatened by hard water or soft water angling.  Putting a limit on such a prolific fish would discourage a lot of would be anglers in pursuing that quarry.  Also, harvesting these fish helps keep population numbers in check.  I'm not bashful when it comes to perch...if I can I will take home a truck load of those golden beauties and fill the freezer all the while knowing I didn't put a dent in the population.  Just say NO to perch limits.   ;D

Offline gunslinger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 19, 2014, 06:58 AM »
If u Wana help the perch we shouof all b feeding the foxes a nice sqwa fish dinner every chance we get! :)

Offline rickgehrke

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rippin lips
« Reply #23 on: Feb 19, 2014, 08:59 AM »
25 per person is plenty.
Fish hard, or go home.

Offline gunslinger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 19, 2014, 09:52 AM »
25 per person is plenty.
is 4 me I don't  Wana clean much more than that haha
And the sooner I run out the sooner i gota go get more!

Offline curt69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Feb 19, 2014, 10:13 AM »
CJ Strike is 227 miles , Brownlee 386 miles . I am not sure how far Cascade is , never been there . When and if I go it won't be for 25 fish . If you live close and make several trips keep what you can use . When I come over I need to stock up for the year .
Catch'em and Eat'em

Offline 97sx

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 19, 2014, 10:49 AM »
No offense Curt, but it is because of that reasoning that there are limits on fishing.  Let's say word gets out on a lake like Cascade that there are unlimited jumbos to be had by all...you don't believe it will get fished out?  Fillet Hunters flocking from the Midwest and everywhere else catching and keeping every fish they can get their hands on.  There are reasons for limits.

Offline curt69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Feb 19, 2014, 06:24 PM »
I find it hard to believe that the people with easy access are not harvesting way more fish than someone who comes over once or twice a year . There is a reason there are no limits . They reproduce very quickly . 10 percent of the fishermen catch 90 percent of the fish . The people that do well work hard to catch them . They put in the time and know the lake .
Catch'em and Eat'em

Offline hooknhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Feb 19, 2014, 06:34 PM »
I find it hard to believe that the people with easy access are not harvesting way more fish than someone who comes over once or twice a year . There is a reason there are no limits . They reproduce very quickly . 10 percent of the fishermen catch 90 percent of the fish . The people that do well work hard to catch them . They put in the time and know the lake .

+1 Curt.

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 19, 2014, 06:34 PM »
I personally fish only for species that I intend to eat, but I always respect bag limits and never exceed them. Filetting perch is a PITA and 25 per person is about my personal limit because I am the one in my family who ends up cleaning them all. I would have no problem with a limit of 25 per on perch, but I also understand that they are a species that produces very quickly and that is why the Idaho F&G has the limit set where it is set.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.