The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: You have got to be kidding(new g&f rule)  (Read 11777 times)

Offline rbmchief

• Team IceShanty Addict
I'd rather do it on the ice

Offline Sundancekid

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: You have got to be kidding(new g&f rule)
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2014, 09:20 PM »
That's not a hook... It's a rock worm under the bead. 

Offline idahohunter1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2014, 09:37 PM »
I use this while steelhead fishing with the bead about 3-4" above the hook. I haven't ever hooked one on the outside the mouth. I usually use a trailing hook too.
On the ice again, just can't wait to get on the ice again, the life I love is catching fish with my friends, and I can't wait to get on the ice again. "kinda Willie Nelson"

Offline rbmchief

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2014, 09:38 PM »
I fish a lot of ice fishing rigs with suspended beads, also fishing slip bobbers with a bead above the bobber is technically illegal now? I also fish spinner rigs and harness's with beads aways up the line. Am I fishin illegally now?How would they even enforce this?

Offline FairIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2014, 10:04 PM »
Government agencies at their best.  Give them a little power and they want more..

Offline GFIceMan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 13, 2014, 11:50 AM »
This is a legit law. It is definately snagging. Its illegal in Montana too. Put some bait on it and you will be fine.

Offline rbmchief

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 13, 2014, 01:02 PM »
How is it legit? Do you really think the guys out there "snagging" fish are gonna see this and stop what theyre doing?  Well if thats all it takes lets outlaw marijuana, meth and heroin to! What this is going to do is get honest people tickets because as that law reads alot of the setups i fish have beads above the hook, with floaters or blades between the beads and hook. You say just put bait on it and you'll be fine, why doesnt it state that, it's way to wide open and open to interpretation to be fair.

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 13, 2014, 01:09 PM »
 ;D

Offline rbmchief

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 13, 2014, 01:29 PM »
Again though, people that are genuinely trying to snag fish arent going to stop because of this law, it is to open for interpretation that will allow wardens to write tickets to people fishing that have no intent on snagging fish. I do fish some spinner baits and harness's with beads suspended a few inches above the hook when I am getting short striked and they work well sometimes, I am not snagging them, they are mouth hooked everytime but i am now violating some stupid law aimed at trout fisherman. Is the g&f even aware that people fish for other species besides trout? I really have no problem with them trying to stop unethical fishing or hunting practices but rules like these dont solve the actual problem because the people snagging fish arent really going to stop because of this law, it will just allow wardens to write ticket based on there own interpretation. I wish posting pics here wasnt such a pain, i'll try to post some pics of some of my rigs that I think could maybe get me a ticket

Offline rbmchief

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 13, 2014, 01:42 PM »
These are some of the rigs I have been told could get me a ticket based on a Wardens "interpretation"

Offline Baiter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Get jiggy with it!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 13, 2014, 01:45 PM »
Anybody who thinks this is a legit law does not know the premises behind fishing a pegged beat. It is better for the fish, let me say that again it is better for the fish.  A fish that goes after a pegged bead is more likely to be hooked on the outside of the mouth than down in the gill area, increasing the chances of mortality.  A bead or egg pattern at the hook increases the chance the fish will swallow the presentation and get hooked deeper.  Take a look at the laws in salmon states such as Alaska, pegged beads 2 inches from the hook is allowed because it is better for the survival of the fish.  Alaska Fish Department has the best in the Biz and they know their stuff.  Wyoming F&G need to do their research before they make ridiculous laws.

It is okay to fish tandem nymph rigs with 2 or more nymphs tied 18 or so many inches apart.  More fish get snagged by the angler missing the take from a trout and snagging them with their trailer hook.  They will probably make that illegal as well. 

In no way is fishing a pegged bead snagging, it is exactly the opposite.  Why are panthers martins or mepps spinners not illegal, they have beads that are a few inches from the hook.  Ridiculous law if you ask me.
Fishing is not about life or death, it is much more important than that! And all I have to say is FISH ON baby.

Offline Dorado

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 13, 2014, 03:03 PM »
Anybody who thinks this is a legit law does not know the premises behind fishing a pegged beat. It is better for the fish, let me say that again it is better for the fish.  A fish that goes after a pegged bead is more likely to be hooked on the outside of the mouth than down in the gill area, increasing the chances of mortality.  A bead or egg pattern at the hook increases the chance the fish will swallow the presentation and get hooked deeper.  Take a look at the laws in salmon states such as Alaska, pegged beads 2 inches from the hook is allowed because it is better for the survival of the fish.  Alaska Fish Department has the best in the Biz and they know their stuff.  Wyoming F&G need to do their research before they make ridiculous laws.

It is okay to fish tandem nymph rigs with 2 or more nymphs tied 18 or so many inches apart.  More fish get snagged by the angler missing the take from a trout and snagging them with their trailer hook.  They will probably make that illegal as well. 

In no way is fishing a pegged bead snagging, it is exactly the opposite.  Why are panthers martins or mepps spinners not illegal, they have beads that are a few inches from the hook.  Ridiculous law if you ask me.

As I understand it, the law was put into place precisely because of the regulations in Alaska.  There, the huge rainbows that follow the salmon spawning runs are big business.  As the fishing pressure increased, the fish started avoiding the usual egg patterns, and people started "pegging" a bead,  with the hook way down the line.  The result was most fish were snagged in the side of the head, eyes etc. and many fish were mutilated.   Fish seldom swallow artificial lures, but getting hooked in the eyes is common with pegs. Thus the 2" limit in AK.

Apparently, people were starting to use the "peg" method during rainbow spawning season in WY, and there were complaints to the department.  The regulation is intended to prevent trout fisherman from using the pegging method with a long leader between the bead and the hook when targeting trout.

Offline LeeDoo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 13, 2014, 07:13 PM »
Looks legit to me.  A trailing hook means the fish is obviously not striking at the hook and that by definition is snagging.  Not that I have anything against snagging, but these are the rules we play by.  If you are worried about fish swallowing the hook with a bead, use a circle hook. 

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 13, 2014, 07:14 PM »
I dont' think any of those beaded spinners are anywhere near what the regulation is stating. I believe that's making an argument just to argue. The rule is simple. A bead above a hook that catches a fish outside the mouth is snagging and I see no problem with the rule change. It's not an ethical way to catch fish if you ask me. Any kind of lure with beads acting "as" the lure isn't under the same rule or they would've mentioned that as well.
Trent Williams
When hell freezes over, I’ll ice fish there too!

Offline emholden

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 13, 2014, 07:39 PM »
This is truly a ridiculous rule!  There is no reason to even start this debate about beads and pegging them or not. The G&F has many other issues they should be spending their time and money on and this is not one of them!  For many of you that have put in your two cents worth about the bead rig issue and have stated your against it I truly believe your uninformed about this issue and have probably not even used the rig personally.  We should all be in support of other sportmen's techniques not bashing them especially when it's one like this that does not hurt any part of the great blue ribbon rivers we have in this state!
Eat, Sleep, Teach, Get Outdoors!

Offline Kinkyline

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • How sweet they are!
« Reply #15 on: Feb 13, 2014, 09:10 PM »
   Any fish that has a choice between plastic bead and minnow,crawler or leech would probably take the bait 99% of the time. This rule is as stupid as the minnow that is caught in the Pathfinder drainage which may have been born in Seminoe and floated downstream, that can't be taken up to Seminoe as use for bait even though it is the same species of minnow that is already in Seminoe.

Offline icefishing J

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 13, 2014, 09:25 PM »
10-4 on that kinkyline, your right on the money
Just making Swiss Ice

Offline LeeDoo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 13, 2014, 10:00 PM »
The minnow rule makes more sense than the bead rule honestly, as most guys can't tell a stickleback from a fathead and there's species downstream from Seminoe that aren't above it.

But as for the bead rule... uninformed... no.  Do I care if the fish bites your lure and then you hook it as opposed to biting a lure with a hook?  Naw, but the G&F does.  I doubt they will change it either as the North Platte is a big-money trout fishery and they want to keep the image pristine.

Offline emholden

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 13, 2014, 10:21 PM »
If a person can't tell the difference from a stickleback and a fat head then they must need glasses :)

And I don't think it's the G&F that has the issue with the bead rig I think it's a couple of their over zealous young wardens. Most of the department couldn't care less about the pristine image of the Platte and flyfishing in general they are more interested in big game and hunting.  This is a can of worms that never needed to be opened.
Eat, Sleep, Teach, Get Outdoors!

Offline ClearCreek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Feb 13, 2014, 10:28 PM »
Does anyone know why G&F made the decision to enforce the begged bead setup as snagging?  Did someone or some group approach them and request they consider this setup as snagging and enforce it that way?

ClearCreek

Offline LeeDoo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 13, 2014, 10:32 PM »
  This is a can of worms that never needed to be opened.

But how will you know if your worms have died and smell terrible?  ;D

Offline laker24taker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 13, 2014, 10:49 PM »
sorry guys im from ny but thought I should chime in..I steelhead fish a lot in lake Ontario tribs and can say this rule seems to be bs I always pet ny bead2 inchs from my hook.. I do this because those fish are just sucking in eggs  and a hook right on the bead causes the fish to be hooked deep in the throat/ gill area... while leaving2 inch between hook an bead most fish I catch are either on inside corner of mouth or outside corner of the mouth... no real harm done to the fish..... I understand a longer lead will result in  hooked eyes/gills but the 2 inch lead only hooks in or very close to the mouth.. I cant understand this law either other than the state wants more money because whenever I use the beads its easier on the  fish to have at least a little line between hook and bead that way I deep hook very few fish..... sorry for the interuption just my opinion
(img)http://i44.tinypic.com/2e5k1s2.jpeg(img)

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Feb 14, 2014, 03:13 AM »
 ;D

Offline Kinkyline

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • How sweet they are!
« Reply #23 on: Feb 14, 2014, 06:51 AM »
   I guess that being the case,the sporting goods stores should be informed that they are selling spinner rigs with multiple hooks and Erie Dearies which would be illegally used by fishermen unless the trailers are cut off. Sort of defeats the purpose. Not really to worry too much. When was the last time a warden checked your rigging on a pole or tipup?

Offline rbmchief

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Feb 14, 2014, 08:17 AM »
Does anyone know why G&F made the decision to enforce the begged bead setup as snagging?  Did someone or some group approach them and request they consider this setup as snagging and enforce it that way?

ClearCreek

I was told a few of the fly fishing guide services out of Casper and gray reef have been the main drivers of this

Offline wyo969

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 14, 2014, 09:00 AM »
Rbm that's not too surprising.

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 14, 2014, 10:51 PM »
Anyone find this on their website?
Don

Offline Kinkyline

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • How sweet they are!
« Reply #27 on: Feb 15, 2014, 10:01 AM »
   This really sits in my craw,because years ago snagging of swawn walleyes was allowed by the g&f and coolers of big walleyes were hauled out of Miracle Mile by "sportfishermen" with no regard to the fish. The fisherery at Pathfinder suffered many poor years as a result of this promiscuity. This went on for many consecutive years until Real Sportsmen voiced their concerns and got it stopped. Sorry just had to vent,not trying to get anyone po'ed.

Offline birdguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Feb 17, 2014, 12:30 AM »
I see both sides of this. I guess if it weren't more effective than a standard egg pattern, it would never have become a common practice.  Maybe it's too effective.  I floated the Platte outside Casper 3 yrs ago and this was the rig that we used as per our guide friends  Worked great, and to tell you the truth I don't remember any foul hooked fish. The tandem rig comment was a good one - I've foul-hooked a few trout over the years with this method, not a ton, but it happens.   

On a side note - I used to have a spoon that would catch fish with great regularity - bought it at a garage sale with a bunch of other stuff - the problem was that over 50% of fish caught with that lure were hooked smack in the eyeball.  I switched hooks on it and let my brother try it.  He snapped it off on the 3rd cast.  Idiot.

Offline wyoeyes!

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Feb 17, 2014, 08:11 AM »
Just what we need, MORE RULES! And the G&F wonders why there are fewer people fishing. But to the point, if the fish was going after the bead and is foul hooked and released, WHO CARES! This is entirely different than someone with a weighed treble hook or a streamer trying to foul hook trout on a redd. I call B.S. on this one.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.