Author Topic: WINDY!!! Landlocks on Finger Lake  (Read 1395 times)

Offline Kardinal_84

• IceShanty Rookie
WINDY!!! Landlocks on Finger Lake
« on: Feb 09, 2014, 10:36 PM »
Holy COW! It was WINDY today!  Tried Finger Lake and it was glare ice.  A little unsettling driving over ice you can see cracks that go all the way down.  You could even make out the bottom in a few spots.  But the ice was plenty thick and I followed a trooper onto the ice so I figured it was sort of safe.  lol.

The ice was so slick I couldn't even auger a hole.  Once the auger bit, it just spun me around a few times.  I finally ended up punching holes with one my feet braced against the tires.  There was no way I was setting up the shelter so we just fished from inside the truck. Taking turns with one rod, we managed 14 land locks in under an hour.  Temps weren't too bad, but the wind chill was insane!!!

Lot of land locks to entertain the kids though.  So it made for a good quick outing.  Short video with the first segment shot with the Fishphone camera to just show the number of landlocks.  The last segment was showing my daughter trying to go out and "save" my son, who had jumped out of the truck to go retrieve something that had blown out of the vehicle.  It was so windy and slick, he couldn't get back!!  LOL.

Here's the video:  http://youtu.be/ax30ouT23TY

Offline AKSweetpete

• IceShanty Rookie
  • If enough time wrong lure becomes right one!
Re: WINDY!!! Landlocks on Finger Lake
« Reply #1 on: Feb 10, 2014, 12:41 AM »
Wow you are hard core.  I was going to out toward the big lake area today but saw the wind when I woke up and called it off.  It looks like you were getting a vertical video on your fish phone, did you put that attachment that comes with it on the tail? I have one as well and would like to try that.  Any recommendations or suggestions?
Thanks.

Offline Kardinal_84

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 10, 2014, 01:05 AM »
Wow you are hard core.  I was going to out toward the big lake area today but saw the wind when I woke up and called it off.  It looks like you were getting a vertical video on your fish phone, did you put that attachment that comes with it on the tail? I have one as well and would like to try that.  Any recommendations or suggestions?
Thanks.

My recommendation is mainly not to be as lazy as I am and try to drill a second hole.  Two reasons.  One, there should have been PLENTY of light.  But pointed down, there really wasn't... partly due to the shadow of my SUV.  Two, I lost a decent fish on Big Lake since the line is prone to tangling with the camera down the same hole.  I guess a big fish could always find the camera cord if it takes off on you even if it is in another hole.

But to get the shot, all I did was run the cord through the back slot on the camera and it hangs almost vertically. I actually like the slight offset as it seems to cover the bait/lure better when the camera cord is off to the edge of my 10" hole. Depending on the water clarity, you can have it in the hole, or you can lower it further if you need to see the bait/lure better.

Offline AKSweetpete

• IceShanty Rookie
  • If enough time wrong lure becomes right one!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 10, 2014, 01:55 AM »
Thanks

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.