Author Topic: Ice conditions @ Cascade  (Read 12738 times)

Offline the chief

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ice conditions @ Cascade
« on: Feb 09, 2014, 09:51 PM »
How's the snow on Cascade lake?
Can a person get UTV's on it yet?
Team Spudsickel 2012 1st place rainbow 2016 2nd place perch

Offline FishingSpud

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ice conditions @ Cascade
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2014, 10:56 PM »
If you can get an update on ice/snow conditions on Cascade and wouldn't mind sharing, I'd sure like to know as well.

...Dave

Offline 97sx

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2014, 11:00 PM »
Bad...depending upon where you are on the lake and getting worse.  Snow was super heavy today.  Slush and water building up on the ice.

We had an ATV on tracks stuck multiple times on Saturday.

Offline elkcrazy8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2014, 11:15 PM »
was there yesterday (sat)... all wheelers were stuck by the SL ramp. Not sure what today brought but was glad I left mine at home and brought the sleds... sleds were fine. Only one spot the short track bogged down a bit. But the long track did ok... Fishing was mediocre at best but did nail some jumbos. Lots of slush under the snow made for a mess where we were fishing

Offline FishingSpud

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 09, 2014, 11:21 PM »
Thanks for the update you guys. I've fished those conditions before on Cascade where you basically have small rivers of water running around from melted slush and snow on top of the ice...miserable to say the least. I hate to miss another weekend of ice fishing, but I may just have to spend time in the Cascade cabin doing a little maintenance instead of fishing.

...Dave

Offline 97sx

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 09, 2014, 11:25 PM »
With the current forecast there could be 2-3ft of pure slush by the weekend.  It's going to be warm and there is a lot of precipitation being forecasted.

Offline KozinKenny

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2014, 08:17 AM »
Was up at Poisen Thurs-Sat.  Thursday we were able to get my wheeler out with our gear.  Snow was about 8" deep. More snow fell thursday night another 6".  Sat another 3" to 4", then the bottom layer got slushy. Fri-Sat and Sun no way we could get the wheeler out, had to snowshoe out.  Fishing was slow. My power auger broke so we had to drill by hand thru 18" of ice, therefore we didn't move around alot. Still beat going to work! ;D
"When an Ice Fisherman Freezes, another one thaws and takes his place."
~Patrick F. McManus~

Good Fish'n, Kenny

Offline stjoemitch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 10, 2014, 10:40 AM »
Fished Cascade Thursday through Saturday and the conditions for travel on the lake were very difficult.  4-wheelers from Poison Creek made it out on Thursday, but we struggled with the snow on top that didn't pack.  Left ATV's at the house for the rest of the trip. Tried track machines next day and they did better, but you had to pack light.  Snow machines did the best, but short track machines struggled when they hit slush.  Did get near Sugar Loaf on Saturday and had a pretty good fish for Jumbo perch.  Best advice, wait until the temperatures drop and get a better base to ride on.

Offline Pollfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 10, 2014, 01:06 PM »
Hit Sugar Loaf on Fri, caught several perch and one nice steelhead (19 inches). Moved down to Blue Heron on Sat and only caught a few small perch. Snow was 8 inches deep and ice was 18 / 19 inches.  Thinking about doing Salmon Falls this weekend.

Got pics, but can't see how to upload them.

Offline Hamstn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 10, 2014, 08:30 PM »
Fished today out Sugar and with the morning temp into the teens there was no slush. It was getting a bit soft when we left later afternoon. No water under snow. Saw an UTV drive along just fine. Fishing was slow for us as we were not very mobile on foot with walking slightly taxing on sled trails and exhausting when you had to walk on unpacked snow.

Offline Riverwanderer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 10, 2014, 08:45 PM »
That UTV is probably Mike Hall with Mac's Lures. He has been doing pretty good on the Jumbo's, trying to break the record on their jigging spoon the "SONIC BAITFISH".
Good Fishing
   Dave
<'((()))><

Offline xstream

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 10, 2014, 08:49 PM »
Just got back from SCI show in Vegas and the conditions are far different than when I left. I rode the snow machine about half way from Boulder to SL this evening and it was extremely soft and starting to get slushy. Stopped and got off a few times and snow was just below the knee. I doubt anything without tracks will go very far right now and snow shoes would be a good idea. I'm going to try to get down to SL in the morning. Let's hope it gets cold again soon!

Offline mattcarlson7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 10, 2014, 09:03 PM »
Bringing my Rhino up with the kids...anyone that fishes please keep a good running line of info through friday...sucks to drive few hours and not be able to get out!

Offline 97sx

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 10, 2014, 10:53 PM »
The current forecast is not looking good for anything without tracks.  Spent time this weekend with a guy who had a tracked rhino and I was impressed with how it handled the snow.

Offline fishandchips

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 10, 2014, 11:10 PM »
My boys and I have been walking out on the south side of the lake.  There wasn't much slush where we were but the edges of the lake had a lot of snow.  Fishing was good.  If you're coming up and need info let me know and I try to point you in the right direction.  Good luck!

Offline hooknhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 11, 2014, 07:10 AM »
My boys and I have been walking out on the south side of the lake.  There wasn't much slush where we were but the edges of the lake had a lot of snow.  Fishing was good.  If you're coming up and need info let me know and I try to point you in the right direction.  Good luck!

Fishing was good on the south end?  How was the catching?  And what were you catching?

Offline fishandchips

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 11, 2014, 08:10 AM »
We were fishing for trout and that is primarily what we catch along with some pesky perch. 

Offline hooknhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 11, 2014, 08:38 AM »
Cool.  Good to know.  Thanks for the info.  Any size to the pesky ones?

Offline fishandchips

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 11, 2014, 09:28 AM »
Most are really small but we catch a handful of 10" perch.  Nothing really bigger than that. 

Offline xstream

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 11, 2014, 05:58 PM »
Rode the snow machine from Boulder down to SL this morning. Very soft and sloppy. Never got below 33 last night and 40 this afternoon.  Fishing was slow only 10 keepers with a couple jumbos and a 6lb 7oz squaw fish......oh excuse me....Pike Minnow. Foxes will eat good tonight. Walking around was doable but tough. New storm supposed to roll in tonight and tomorrow so we'll see what happens.

Offline worm hole

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 14, 2014, 03:52 PM »
I am on the south end of the lake right now. Its 4 or so inches of sluch and raining. One bite right off the bat and now nothing. Its not to bad on foot but muck boots are needed.

Offline ID_IceRookie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 14, 2014, 04:31 PM »
I just made the drive to Cascade from Boise. There is quite a bit of water running over the road. If it freezes watch out for ice patches. It's 35 degrees and raining steady right now. West Mtn road south of Tamarack has not been plowed, and there is about 6" of slush.

Offline stjoemitch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 18, 2014, 11:12 AM »
Keep me posted on ice conditions and how you are getting out and about on the ice.

Offline hooknhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Feb 18, 2014, 01:15 PM »
Ditto on that.  The Johnson Creek air strip web cam at Yellowpine makes it look like they got a good bunch of new snow up that way, but the McCall airport web cam and the Little Donner web cams make it more like a skiff to an inch or so.

I'd love to hear some fresh news.

Offline fishandchips

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Feb 18, 2014, 02:10 PM »
Walked out last night on the south end.  Most of the snow on the lake has melted off and water has begun to freeze.  Good rubber boots and rain pants and you should be fine. 

Offline Iceflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Never be late for. Church, Work, and Fishin.
« Reply #25 on: Feb 19, 2014, 04:30 AM »
I'd like to go on Thursday with HooknHunter and my boy.  Any news about the lake would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers. :)

Offline the chief

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 19, 2014, 08:54 AM »
looking to head up Thursday Friday or the week end . will have Kuna farmer with me.  not sure the rest of the time wife will be with me  one day and maybe her aunt and uncle. can you did utv or four wheelers on the ice .

Offline Bigfish33

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Feb 22, 2014, 05:12 PM »
Didn't get to make it up today, if anyone made it up today (Saturday) if you could give conditions  that would be great! Might make it up tomorrow, want to make sure if I pull the atvs up that they will be usable. Thanks in advance guys .

Good luck to everyone  :tipup:

Offline the chief

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 22, 2014, 06:02 PM »
headed up in the morning out sugar loaf will in a artic cat utv  blue gray color  stop and say hi . me and the wife  and dog

Offline elkcrazy8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 22, 2014, 06:36 PM »
Was up there yesterday (Friday) and today, most of the lake is healed however there are places in the center that will still burry a 4 wheeler. I had to pull one out with my sled. Also on the west side where the snow has drifted in may present areas of slush underneath. I watched a short track sled burry to the tunnel today. I did alright with my long track but shot a 50 foot rooster tail. If you are fishing the loaf you should be fine with an ATV

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.