Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Last Ice Predictions?  (Read 6778 times)

Offline ASATMillerbluegill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
Re: Last Ice Predictions?
« Reply #30 on: Feb 17, 2014, 09:31 PM »
Back to single digits next week!!!!!! Yee haw!!!!

Buy a suit that floats you

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
« Reply #31 on: Feb 18, 2014, 03:24 PM »
I hope your right ku nu ;D :clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbsup:
Never to many short poles

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #32 on: Feb 28, 2014, 11:22 AM »
Looking at the 10 day, we are good through the 9th. 1 day above 30 (34) and the rest in the teens and 20's.

Anyone getting their boats out yet? Personally, I'm ready for the thaw. Been a great season but I wan't to start casting, not dropping.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline BigRock947

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Feb 28, 2014, 12:11 PM »
I'd be lying if I didn't say I'm starting to look forward to Spring....the wife will be done with Archery Season this weekend (Teacher/Coach in West Des Moines) so I want to get out a few more times with her before calling it quits. Also, I really want to get a nice walleye out of Big Creek before ice out.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Mar 01, 2014, 07:31 AM »
Theres 3' of ice on Emerson Bay. Its unbelievable. Wont be iceout any time soon.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline MidnightRambler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Mar 01, 2014, 09:58 AM »
20-22" of good ice on a pond just south of I-80 this morning.

I'm pretty sure the predictions for today being the end of safe ice in southern Iowa are off the board.  ;D  As for my pick of March 15 being the last day of safe on ponds around IC, looking at the five-day forecast I think I'll be fishing hard water here a few days beyond the 15th.

Offline tricohatch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Mar 01, 2014, 04:41 PM »
Here in central Iowaega I think probably March 20th but, you might be walking the plank matey to get on the ice! ;D

Offline MidnightRambler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Mar 08, 2014, 06:51 AM »
Looking at the forecasts for the next seven days I am pretty sure my prediction of March 15 for the end of safe ice around Iowa City will be short by just a couple days. We will probably be done here after next weekend.  :-\

That would still mean ice fishing in Iowa City possibly as late as St. Patrick's Day. Most years we are done by March 7, and more than once the ice has been gone here before March 1.

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
« Reply #38 on: Mar 08, 2014, 01:38 PM »
well friday morning I drove out on badger creek down by winterset but that will be the last time for that. I figure another week and a half to 2 weeks and then the edges will be too rotten

I was on a bus and just happened to be sitting on a news paper. This guy came up and asked. "Are you reading that ?"
I said  yes, stood up, turned the page and sat back down.

Offline ranger620

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Mar 08, 2014, 05:29 PM »
i think tomorrow for me. getting busy at work and looks like warm temps coming .

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Mar 08, 2014, 09:44 PM »
Down here in southern Iowa I think my last day is Sunday but I'm heading to NE South Dakota on Thursday until next Sunday night  then the next weekend to Minnesota  so my ice fishing days are going to over march 24th when I get back from Minnesota

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #41 on: Mar 09, 2014, 10:54 AM »
Why is today your last day guys? Drilled through 2 feet yesterday with at least 20" of good solid ice. Its not going anywhere. Might need a board to get on for next weekend, but we'll have safe ice for a long time still.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Mar 09, 2014, 11:48 AM »
Because today's forecast 60 and in the 50s all week and we only have 9" of ice as of yesterday .  After my trips it will be almost the first of April

Offline MidnightRambler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Mar 09, 2014, 12:02 PM »
The variable is how much rain we get this week. There is a chance of rain for Tuesday in IC, but it is not supposed to amount to much.

We still have a lot of ice, 16" or more, on most ponds around IC, and that can handle the warm temps for a few days. The south and west-facing shorelines will go bad fairly quickly, but the north-facing shorelines will be OK for a while...if we don't get a bunch of rain.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #44 on: Mar 10, 2014, 12:15 AM »
Walked off the ice today and it was still in good shape. A little bit of water on top, and the top 1" of ice was honeycombed. Edges had water but were still solid. Good 20" of hard ice still.

Weds should tighten up the shoreline, high of 32 low of 22.

Oh and the bite sucked today. Too much water entering the lakes, muddy!
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Mar 10, 2014, 12:54 PM »
Ice is still 14" at blackhawk pit and at least 22" at Blackhawk lake. Bite sucks today.

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Mar 10, 2014, 09:44 PM »
Just be careful because the sun is very powerful this time of year and water on the ice weighs a lot . Be safe and enjoy the great late ice bite use a spud bar and PFD 

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #47 on: Mar 11, 2014, 12:45 AM »
Lots of ice here, but no way to get on. Time to break out the planks and hope for a cool day or two to tighten up those first 3 steps.
EYECONICFISHING

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #48 on: Mar 11, 2014, 05:53 AM »
wed and thursday in the 20's and not seeing above freezing, or barely above up at brushy...lots of fishing yet...I'm planning on going to the mississippi backwaters yet too for some of the jumbo perch late ice action up there

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #49 on: Mar 11, 2014, 10:57 AM »
Well, good luck.. but there is open water for 15' out in the backwaters. You'll need to hike and find a shaded spot with no runoff to get on.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline BigRock947

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Mar 11, 2014, 11:13 AM »
Well...I think its time to put my gear away and get some home brewed beer going for the open water fishing. Its been a great year for me!!!

Offline adam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Mar 11, 2014, 11:20 AM »
kevin I would guess he is talking about the backwaters in pool 9. probably no open water there.

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
« Reply #52 on: Mar 12, 2014, 11:44 AM »
I'm gonna do one last run to brushy this weekend but other than that I'm done. Fished badger creek Tuesday, 10 feet of open water around the edges and 12 inches of what looks to be clear ice, but turned out to be soft honeycombed crap. And just think I was driving a truck on that last Friday.

I was on a bus and just happened to be sitting on a news paper. This guy came up and asked. "Are you reading that ?"

Offline orangefeetdown

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Mar 12, 2014, 12:33 PM »
I'm gonna do one last run to brushy this weekend but other than that I'm done. 10 feet of open water around the edges and 12 inches of what looks to be clear ice, but turned out to be soft honeycombed crap. And just think I was driving a truck on that last Friday.

So your saying brushy creek has 12 inches of ice??? your post was confusing?

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
« Reply #54 on: Mar 12, 2014, 02:28 PM »
No sorry that was badger down here by des moines i will fix that post

Offline tysontia

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Mar 12, 2014, 08:05 PM »
Already "summarized" and out away. Rained quite a bit in SC area yesterday. No way id set foot out there now. And someone went though in Snyder Bend Lake near Salix. Ice gets very bad with suns angle and two 70 degree days in a row then all day rain and 60s tomorrow!!!  C'mon open water!!!

Offline Bates

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Mar 14, 2014, 12:07 PM »
Looks like the melt is here to stay. When the ice is around this late it doesn't take as much to go. The sun is much higher and days much longer than just a month ago. Some inexperienced who think just because the ice is thick it'll stay for awhile now can see what this time of year will do to ice. Heck some thought just 5 days ago people were crazy to be giving up. Those are the ones who understand ice can turn bad over night. Don't think anyone will be ice fishing in May yet again this year.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #57 on: Mar 14, 2014, 01:30 PM »
16" solid ice still, not melted away from the banks at all on one of my spots (shaded 24/7). But I don't feel the need to ice fish anymore. It will be safe through next week I'm sure.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline MidnightRambler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Mar 15, 2014, 09:40 PM »
I made it to my March 15 prediction for Iowa City.  ;D Now I'm thinking March 17, if we don't get rain tonight.

As noted in the "warmer weather on the way" thread, a few ponds here can still be accessed if the south shoreline is shaded and not much runoff has gone in to them, including the one I fished tonight. It is no longer possible to fish most here without a plank or waders.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #59 on: Mar 15, 2014, 10:43 PM »
Great ice today up at pool 9 on the Mississippi today!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.