Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Last Ice Predictions?  (Read 6770 times)

Offline MidnightRambler

• Team IceShanty Regular
Last Ice Predictions?
« on: Feb 08, 2014, 10:37 PM »
So when does everyone think this winter's ice season will be done in your part of the state? We are now closer to the end of the season than the beginning, but we still have a ways to go.

I predict that we have five more weeks of safe ice on small ponds in Iowa City this year, which would put the last safe ice here around March 15. That is a little later than normal, but not a crazy reach. (I am not looking at any long-range forecasts when I make that prediction. I'm just going on what the ice is now, and what typical weather for southeast Iowa is for the next five weeks or so.)

We have thicker ice than we usually do this time of year, so I feel safe picking March 15. A very warm late February/early March would put us more on schedule, of course.

You guys up north, especially around the IGLs, should be fishing hardwater close to April this year if not in to April, I would think.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Last Ice Predictions?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2014, 10:40 PM »
At least the end of march here in the QC area. There are many locations that get shade 24/7 and are well over 2 feet thick. They don't melt fast. On a normal year we fish these areas 2 weeks past when all the posts come up on here about guys calling it quits. I call it quits on these areas when we get less than 8" of hard ice. 12"+ of crap ice on top of 8" of hard ice is pushing the limits. Last year we had 14" on the shaded areas and fished late into feb.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline herkyicer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2014, 08:23 AM »
I'm hoping to be floating in my boat soon, but that's not going to happen.
Go with Marcum or go home, lol

Offline Trump

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2014, 09:20 PM »
South east Iowa  here and I don't think it will be that far we have 50 degree weather forecasted and I heard chances of rain we have average 12 to 15" of ice with minimum a foot of snow that's a lot of water on the ice and that always has some say in it I wish we had a bigger window this was one of our beat years of fishing made some awesome memories we head to green bay march 8 and I don't see a whole lot of holes after that so I'll say first of march

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 09, 2014, 10:00 PM »
2nd week in April possibly here.

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 09, 2014, 10:53 PM »
Shooting for the first week of April having started my season on November 30th. Long season!
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the ice looking like an idiot.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2014, 09:30 AM »
SW Iowa could easily see March 15..... Longest season I remember...

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Feb 10, 2014, 11:43 AM »
I asked my pops what he thought and he said the last time he remembered a winter like this was 25 years ago and they fished until may 15 here in the QC on our shaded spot. I hope its not that long. I love ice fishing, but not that much.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline ASATMillerbluegill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 10, 2014, 11:48 AM »
I asked my pops what he thought and he said the last time he remembered a winter like this was 25 years ago and they fished until may 15 here in the QC on our shaded spot. I hope its not that long. I love ice fishing, but not that much.
lol...agreed!!

Buy a suit that floats you

Offline Bates

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 10, 2014, 11:58 AM »
If the long range forecast stays warmer might make for a quick ice exit in the southern part of the state. Early March for around I-80 late March up north. No way there was ice fishing in Iowa in May.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Feb 10, 2014, 12:11 PM »
If the long range forecast stays warmer might make for a quick ice exit in the southern part of the state. Early March for around I-80 late March up north. No way there was ice fishing in Iowa in May.

How quick is quick? We have 24"+ of ice and a foot of snow on the shaded spots here. Thats not going to melt quick lol
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Cotacatchers

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • No Bad Day on Ice
« Reply #11 on: Feb 10, 2014, 01:17 PM »
I hope we keep the ice as long as possible , after starting season in sw iowa november 29th its been the longest season in years .
thinking 3rd week of march

Offline Iceaholic

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • let's try this spot...
« Reply #12 on: Feb 10, 2014, 05:04 PM »
I say enjoy it while we can.  It's always sad putting the vexilar and ice poles away for the season. 
Red screens......tight lines......

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
« Reply #13 on: Feb 10, 2014, 05:31 PM »
I'm saying i-80 corridor will probably be around march 20-25. There will be a few people push it longer than that. Up around hwy-20 and north could see second week of April or so. Once the warm up comes I think it will come fast.

I was on a bus and just happened to be sitting on a news paper. This guy came up and asked. "Are you reading that ?"
I said  yes, stood up, turned the page and sat back down.

Offline Ranger619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 10, 2014, 06:56 PM »
I agree with "It will come fast" just look at the long range forecast it's gonna start !!!! The Polar Vortex is losing its grip.
Fish as much as you can we're not here forever!

Otter Cottage Pro X Over
Marcum LX9 LX7 LX3
Thorne Bros,G Austin & TUCR Rods
Striker Lite Flite Milwaukee Fuel M18

Suzuki 750 King Quad W/Otter Monster Box

Offline brittlab

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • HARD WATER ROCKS
« Reply #15 on: Feb 10, 2014, 07:11 PM »
Hopefully well into March. last time we has ice this thick, we has 8' of snow on the ground and it ruined the edges pretty quickly. had over 20" of ice we couldn't get onto

See you on the frozen pond.......Mike

Offline LarryClutch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go Big or Go Home
« Reply #16 on: Feb 11, 2014, 08:03 AM »
Starting this Saturday 5 days of 50's in south west Iowa... not looking good...

Offline teamhardcorefishing_cc

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wiggle wiggle wiggle...Yea fish on
« Reply #17 on: Feb 11, 2014, 08:05 AM »
I'm shooting for mid March. This is when I plan on storing away my ice gear. But who knows. I might still go out. ;)

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 11, 2014, 02:33 PM »
last day on the ice for me, 4/13. Following weekend I fish the canals. Weekend after, looking for walleyes from the boat. Oh, pipedreams, how I love thee.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline Trump

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 14, 2014, 08:40 AM »
I wonder what this late ice will do for our annual trip to northern minn.  We go fathers day weekend and have had years where its 80 and like last year had 1 day where we didn't take our sweatshirts off.  Last year was one of our best years tho the eyes were shallow. Talking 5 to 7 flow horseing 25 to 27" fish what a blast any of you guys do early summer trips

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Feb 14, 2014, 09:57 AM »
I heard a prediction of a 75% chance of ice through eye opener.  :woot:
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Trump

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 14, 2014, 10:00 AM »
wow that would set them back.  last year on gull lake in the brainerd chain of minn.  didnt the close it a week after they opened it.  i thought i heard there was a lot of big eyes caught in a short window in some open water so they moved the opener back

Offline MidnightRambler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 15, 2014, 06:54 AM »
Yup, I don't pay any attention to Accu Weather's 45 day weather forecasts. I could have my dog predict what the weather will be a month from now, and it would be every bit as accurate.

Like someone else already said, forecasts for the next forty-eight hours are usually spot-on, the two or three days after that right more often than not. Any weather forecast for more than a week in advance is little more than guesswork.

Offline fishunlimited(fu)

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 15, 2014, 08:29 AM »
I'd wish it was gone today! I'd much rather be chasing open water fish! I hope we get 5" of rain next week, bring the water up a bit.

Offline Trump

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 15, 2014, 09:27 AM »
FishU in kinderdarden we learned our first rule on the first day of school it was if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. So don't ask for 5" of rain just yet.  Ice fishing lasts less then 4 whole months that's 8 for open water lol

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25 on: Feb 15, 2014, 12:34 PM »
My god, 5" of rain would be devastating right now with the frost line 3' deep. It would all run off, be ice jams on all the rivers, towns would be flooded... would not be good at all! I would not wish that on anybody!
EYECONICFISHING

Offline fishunlimited(fu)

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Feb 15, 2014, 06:47 PM »
Lol I'm sorry I'm sorry, I'm getting bored with panfish, I want gamefish!  :tipup:

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
« Reply #27 on: Feb 16, 2014, 12:29 AM »
March 7th down here in southern Iowa
Never to many short poles

Offline ku-nu

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Feb 16, 2014, 07:34 PM »
March 7th down here in southern Iowa
You are too early, we will have ice until the 21. ;)

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #29 on: Feb 17, 2014, 08:40 PM »
26" of ice here, I think we'll make it past the first week in march guys. Lows near 0 predicted next week, highs in the teens and 20's.
EYECONICFISHING

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.