Author Topic: Am I alone?  (Read 1888 times)

Offline scmelik

• Team IceShanty Addict
Am I alone?
« on: Feb 08, 2014, 04:12 PM »
I spent yet another day unable to find fish, this has never happened to me for as long as it has this winter.  Sure there will be days where a guy just can't win but this winter seems worse than normal, I have gone out twice and actually marked a decent number a fish and had a good day but most of my days this year have been absolute busts.  Is anyone else on the east side of the state south of the webster area struggling as much as I am or do I just have a black cloud of fishlessness hanging over me this year?

Offline rags

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Am I alone?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2014, 04:27 PM »
went 3 times and 0 every time

Offline duckhunter125

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2014, 12:56 PM »
The constant high pressure has shut off the fish this past month
Team Haviner Outdoors

Offline fosto

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2014, 08:47 PM »
Yep high pressures have been killing me.. its irritating marking fish all day long and putting on hundreds of jigs,spoons, cranks and hardly get a bite. We have been out almost every day and i keep asking myself "WHY"...

Offline tornadochaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2014, 08:14 AM »
A week ago the key for me was to use big bright rattle baits to attract fish, and immediate drop down a mooksa tipped with 2 spikes or a plastic tail.  very few perch would hit the spoon or clackin rap, but they would hang around long enough I could trigger a bite with the downsized bait.  This past saturday the perch would not touch anything with spikes or waxies.  Small full minnow hooked on a spoon was what they wanted.  Crappie wouldn't hit anything that didn't glow, both during the day and after dark.  Haven't gotten piles of fish, but it has been nice to find some methods that have worked.  I struggled last year for 3 or 4 weeks before getting on some good fish again.

Offline CamoHunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 11, 2014, 03:04 PM »
You might not be alone, but I haven't had anything unusual this year.  We're still getting fish when we find them.  As usual, the trick is finding them.  Once we've got on fish, we haven't had unusual problems getting fish to bite.  Pretty high pressure this weekend, and we still caught several limits. 

Offline drisk47

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 11, 2014, 05:07 PM »
I was having some tough times earlier in the year until I started moving around constantly. I would only give a hole 20 minutes or so before moving. Seemed to help.

Offline tornadochaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 12, 2014, 11:35 AM »
I was having some tough times earlier in the year until I started moving around constantly. I would only give a hole 20 minutes or so before moving. Seemed to help.

Agreed.  I've spent more time drilling than fishing during daylight hours lately.  Moving every 5-10 minutes trying to find active fish.  Gets tiring drilling through the thick ice but better than not catching anything I guess.

Offline scmelik

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 12, 2014, 08:04 PM »
Agreed.  I've spent more time drilling than fishing during daylight hours lately.  Moving every 5-10 minutes trying to find active fish.  Gets tiring drilling through the thick ice but better than not catching anything I guess.

i am the same way, I drill a ton of holes when I go out.  I think I just have a black cloud hanging over my head because i just cant seem to find fish.  Usually perch i have no problem getting on but good grief I can't even find them this year.  Hopefully I will break the curse on devils and be then be able to finish the season off down here in style.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.