The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Battery Powered Hand Augers  (Read 2157 times)

Offline Cambi47

• IceShanty Rookie
Battery Powered Hand Augers
« on: Feb 08, 2014, 11:03 AM »
The technology is now readily available to use a battery powered drill to operate a hand auger.  The handle is removed and a collet is used in place of the handle. A 18 volt 3 amp hr lithium ion battery will drive a 1/2 inch drill with up to 60 ft-lbs of torque, more than enough to drive a 4,5, even 6 inch auger. You can expect to drill easily 30-40 holes with a sharp auger (1 foot of ice] with a 5 inch auger with one battery.
Upside
-light, quiet, effortless, compact and fun to use.
Downside
- battery charge is temperature sensitive (keep warm) when not in use for long life
- 7 inch or larger hole not recommended due to higher torque requirements
- remember to use the safety harness that comes with the collet or you may lose your auger if the chuck loosens!

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
Re: Battery Powered Hand Augers
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2014, 11:11 AM »
Welcome to IS and please update your profile to include your location!!!
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2014, 11:14 AM »
yup  and  for  11  bucks  i  got  the  adaptor   not  bad  to  reopen a  few  holes  but i  went  and  bought a new  gas  auger  ...  my  reasons  are  simple  i  enjoy  fishing  not  swearing!   i need  something   reliable  light  easy  starting  and  able  to work  all  day or  more without a  recharge  .......  i  got  the  strikemaster  honda  lite  at  23  pounds  with a  8 in  auger  shaft  and  always  hae  the  5  inch  lazer  behind  the  seat in  the  truck  ....si  far  the  new  auger  is  the  first  auger i  have  not   verbally  abused   for  not  starting  or  being  to heavy

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2014, 11:15 AM »
 ???   ???   ???   ???

Welcome to the site... 
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2014, 12:24 PM »
Come on now RD.......lol
It reads like an ad, cut and paste some of the post.  Would hazard a guess they have a new shop or website advertising the very same thing

Offline pfd5623sg

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Dont eat the yellow snow... or ice... lmao
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2014, 02:50 PM »
The technology is now readily available to use a battery powered drill to operate a hand auger.  The handle is removed and a collet is used in place of the handle. A 18 volt 3 amp hr lithium ion battery will drive a 1/2 inch drill with up to 60 ft-lbs of torque, more than enough to drive a 4,5, even 6 inch auger. You can expect to drill easily 30-40 holes with a sharp auger (1 foot of ice] with a 5 inch auger with one battery.
Upside
-light, quiet, effortless, compact and fun to use.
Downside
- battery charge is temperature sensitive (keep warm) when not in use for long life
- 7 inch or larger hole not recommended due to higher torque requirements
- remember to use the safety harness that comes with the collet or you may lose your auger if the chuck loosens!

Really  i have a 8 in strike mast with a 18 volt dewalt... drill 15 to 20 holes per battery in a foot of ice... Just saying... and the drill is 7 years old...

JJ

« Reply #6 on: Feb 08, 2014, 03:11 PM »
???   ???   ???   ???

Welcome to the site...

It is an odd first post.  ;D

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Feb 08, 2014, 03:36 PM »
It is an odd first post.  ;D

There has been a lot of "odd" things on here in the past couple of days....     @)
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline trouter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 08, 2014, 03:41 PM »
Tried a 7 inch once and the experience was torture. With a 7 or 8 you better have some pretty syrong wrists. Plus carring the drill was a pain. Ill use my 7 inch lazer hand

JJ

« Reply #9 on: Feb 08, 2014, 04:13 PM »

There has been a lot of "odd" things on here in the past couple of days....     @)

Not even a full moon.

Offline wizard340

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 14, 2014, 08:10 PM »
 I had shoulder surgery before Christmas and have been using my 18 volt Milwaukee and 6 inch Mora to get my holes in and with the small batteries I get 18 holes though 12 inches of ice easy. But you have to keep the batteries warm or your done, I keep them in a small cooler with a hand warmer. It works for me and I can due it one handed.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 15, 2014, 04:22 AM »
30-40 holes with one battery is a huge exaggeration.

They work great, are light, and cut quick...but with a razor sharp 6" auger on a 18v lithium Milwaukee, we see maybe 15 holes on 12" black ice. We need to use both batterys to get anywhere near 30.

however, a 4" cut would last longer.

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 15, 2014, 07:42 AM »
Thanks for the scoop Cambi! PS check the search function for cordless drill adapter lol
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline Pindrifter

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I go to nature to have my senses put in order.
« Reply #13 on: Feb 15, 2014, 07:52 AM »
I have A Lazer 6 inch  with Millwakee 18 Fuel,     It tears the ice apart.  I am 63 years old, and the hand drilling through 14 inchs of ice is no fun,  If I make holes for jigging and traps  , where talking 7 holes.  With the drill no problem,  I thought I was going to fall over before I got the setup.  Found My auger!

Offline RIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • the tank!!!
« Reply #14 on: Feb 15, 2014, 09:48 PM »
I have a  new Dewalt 20v lithium 1.5 batterys and got 24 holes through 8in of ice last week. Clam adapter with a new lazer 6in drill
How are the edges ?

Offline Purple Floyd

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl.
« Reply #15 on: Feb 15, 2014, 11:15 PM »
At the Minnesota State Fair this summer I stopped by the Clam booth and saw the cordless drill plate and thought that was a great idea.Heck, I own a Custom Cabinet shop so I have several 18V drills and batteries sitting around every weekend with nothing to do so it was tempting. I have a 3 year old Eskimo z51 and to be honest I haven't used it much in the three years and with the warm weather we have been having it seemed overkill and I have a buddy with a SM that I could always use if I needed it. So I advertised the Mo for sale before the season started but there wasn't much interest so I decided to keep it. All I can do is say thank you to everyone who decided to pass on buying my Mo because right now with nearly 30 inches of ice on the lakes I would have been kicking myself for selling such a great auger. Every day I take it out and run it through the ice I am thankful for still having it.

Offline TRAPPER3

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 15, 2014, 11:37 PM »
Just got the nils 6" convertible.....18v dewalt with bigger battery and drilled at least 30 holes and still had juice in the battery....weather was warm and battery was kept warm when not in use.......never had to even take out 2nd battery......i keep batteries in cooler bag with a few hand warmers in it and never had a problem.......I think the key is keeping the batteries warm ....

luv2fish2

« Reply #17 on: Feb 16, 2014, 06:03 AM »
ok here's my experience i just bought a brand new"  milwaukee fuel  18 volt red lithium hammer" drill used a 6" lazer thats 8 years old never changed  blades but there in good shape fished four hours never put the batteries in anything left them out in the cold i drilled 14 holes threw 14-16" of ice and the batteries showed 2/3 full i love this setup so fast so much ice though i need an extension the batteries are the 4.0 amp hr ones my 2 cents this is a great setup but i paid extra to get the fuel brushless and the red lithium batteries are supposedley good to 0 farenheit

Offline Pindrifter

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I go to nature to have my senses put in order.
« Reply #18 on: Feb 16, 2014, 07:34 AM »
I have the same setup.  Works Great.   X2

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 16, 2014, 02:37 PM »
Just got the nils 6" convertible.....18v dewalt with bigger battery and drilled at least 30 holes and still had juice in the battery....weather was warm and battery was kept warm when not in use.......never had to even take out 2nd battery......i keep batteries in cooler bag with a few hand warmers in it and never had a problem.......I think the key is keeping the batteries warm ....

Beware of durability issues w/ Nils convertable, my buddies auger had the post into chuck nearly twist off. Metal was damaged to the point of failure...
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.