The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Strikemaster Honda Lite  (Read 5625 times)

Offline bigdog25

• Team IceShanty Regular
Strikemaster Honda Lite
« on: Feb 05, 2014, 09:27 AM »
After going through tons of problems with my Jiffy Pro4, I made the switch to the Strikemaster Honda Lite and this thing is sweet! Cuts great (even with the 10" bit that some say was underpowered) A lot lighter than the pro4 as well (only 26 lbs which is the lightest 10 inch out there right now), and starts right up nice and easy. No mixing of gas either which is nice. Glen's Outdoors is running a sale on the 10's for 459.99 with free shipping if anyone out there wants to pick one of these up, I know I'm glad that I did!  :tipup:

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Strikemaster Honda Lite
« Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2014, 10:33 AM »
You had the Pro 4 and had what kind of problems with it? Do you still have it?
<===Lefty===

Offline 4Buck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2014, 10:46 AM »
Just got mine from Glens yesterday, started great but seemed to not want to run wide open for a very long time. Called Strikemaster and they are sending me a new gas cap, also said to make sure the fuel line wasn't kinked. It did seem to get better the second time I tried it. I did read it works better when the gas tank isn't full to the top. Strikemaster was very nice to talk to.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2014, 11:54 AM »
The more holes ya drill the better and faster they run. I haven't had a problem wirh it not running right, but have read comments about the gas cap. Some say to loosen the cap before you start it and then tighten it again. They also said to leave some space in the tank.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline 4Buck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 05, 2014, 12:33 PM »
Thanks ice dawg. I am also from SD! I decided it was time to trade my 1986 Jiffy for one that I felt like lugging around. The Jiffy sure served me well all those years but I seemed to be in a little better shape back then. ;) I hope I made the right choice?

Offline bigdog25

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 05, 2014, 03:07 PM »
You had the Pro 4 and had what kind of problems with it? Do you still have it?

Transmission went, went through 3 or 4 carburetors, wouldn't start up in the cold (even with a warm tank), and the power head would constantly lose power while drilling. Got rid of it. Had nothing but problems with it, and like I said this Honda runs great.

Offline bigdog25

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 05, 2014, 03:09 PM »
Just got mine from Glens yesterday, started great but seemed to not want to run wide open for a very long time. Called Strikemaster and they are sending me a new gas cap, also said to make sure the fuel line wasn't kinked. It did seem to get better the second time I tried it. I did read it works better when the gas tank isn't full to the top. Strikemaster was very nice to talk to.

They say every time you use it, you should let it idle for a minute or two just to get it warmed up. And I have heard from a few people the line was a little kinked coming out of the box, but once that was fixed it obviously ran much better.

Offline moneypit2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 05, 2014, 03:10 PM »
X2 I also picked up a honda and this b***h cuts

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #8 on: Feb 05, 2014, 05:10 PM »
I have always had Jiffy augers with chipper blades and didn't think I would the blades on the Strikemaster. They have been good so far. I did buy a spare set in case I need them.

Offline bigdog25

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 05, 2014, 05:19 PM »
I have always had Jiffy augers with chipper blades and didn't think I would the blades on the Strikemaster. They have been good so far. I did buy a spare set in case I need them.

I did like the durability of those chipper blades, but these Laser blades cut real fast!

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #10 on: Feb 06, 2014, 11:44 AM »
Thanks ice dawg. I am also from SD! I decided it was time to trade my 1986 Jiffy for one that I felt like lugging around. The Jiffy sure served me well all those years but I seemed to be in a little better shape back then. ;) I hope I made the right choice?
lol I still have my 8" Jiffy 2 hp Stealth in tha garage in case I need it.

Offline 4Buck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 10, 2014, 08:08 AM »
Any tips on starting it the first time of the day? Seems to take several pulls and I have tried choke no choke along with priming it a little and it still hard to start the first time? After the first time it starts on one pull.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #12 on: Feb 10, 2014, 08:30 AM »
I would say several pulls on a cold day is pretty normal. I haven't had as much time on the ice as I would like this year to use it though. Others say the more they get broke in the better they start, run and drill. It seems the rpms come up with use. It starts with one pull evert time during the rest of the day. My Tecumseh would usually take 5 to 6 pulls first time of the day.

Offline 4Buck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 10, 2014, 10:38 AM »
I would say several pulls on a cold day is pretty normal. I haven't had as much time on the ice as I would like this year to use it though. Others say the more they get broke in the better they start, run and drill. It seems the rpms come up with use. It starts with one pull evert time during the rest of the day. My Tecumseh would usually take 5 to 6 pulls first time of the day.

Thanks, really runs nice and drills great.

Offline Poot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 10, 2014, 01:31 PM »
I have the Subaru strikemaster and love it. You know, how fast it drills is pretty irrelevant to me as I'm not winning a special prize for having my holes drilled the fastest. But, I do think mind cuts very, very smooth, runs quiet and is light as a feather at 22lbs. I would bet the Honda (I'm assuming) is an even better machine.
It's all ball bearings these days......

Offline Maddog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 10, 2014, 05:22 PM »
Glad to hear all of the positive comments on the Honda Lite from Strikemaster. Still waiting to pull the trigger on one.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #16 on: Feb 10, 2014, 09:08 PM »
For me it was between a Nils and Honda Lite. The idea of having to send the blade out to have it sharpened steered me away from the Nils. I like to be able to go to a local baitshop and pickup a set of new blades. I realize I have to send Strikemaster blades somewhere for sharpening, but I have a spare set.

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #17 on: Feb 11, 2014, 10:18 AM »
For me it was between a Nils and Honda Lite. The idea of having to send the blade out to have it sharpened steered me away from the Nils. I like to be able to go to a local baitshop and pickup a set of new blades. I realize I have to send Strikemaster blades somewhere for sharpening, but I have a spare set.

I get my strikemaster blades done locally and the guy does a great job, why do you send yours away? Most any fishing store or saw/knife sharpening store should be able to put a fresh edge on them for you.
"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

Offline 4Buck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 11, 2014, 01:05 PM »
Glad to hear all of the positive comments on the Honda Lite from Strikemaster. Still waiting to pull the trigger on one.

Now is the time, l and m supply has the 8inch for $450 free shipping no tax outside of Minnesota.

Offline pisces

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 11, 2014, 01:19 PM »
Has anyone used the chipper blades on the Honda power heads ?

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #20 on: Feb 11, 2014, 05:23 PM »
I get my strikemaster blades done locally and the guy does a great job, why do you send yours away? Most any fishing store or saw/knife sharpening store should be able to put a fresh edge on them for you.
No place to get them sharpened out here in the boondocks.  ;D

Offline haydo601

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 12, 2014, 05:17 PM »
http://bayservice.ca/Strikemaster/Bulletins/Honda%20throttle%20cable%20fix%20how%20to%20step%20by%20step.png

Just had this problem with mine, did some research and come to find out this is a big issue with the Honda. The throttle cable just comes disconnected and this a quick and easy way to fix it! Thought I'd share with others because I thought I was screwed after just getting this auger before Xmas paying $600  :-\ but did this fix and it's back to running awesome like it always did! Love this auger

Offline bigdog25

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 13, 2014, 08:04 AM »
Any tips on starting it the first time of the day? Seems to take several pulls and I have tried choke no choke along with priming it a little and it still hard to start the first time? After the first time it starts on one pull.

Mine is pretty new, but luckily I haven't had any issues getting it to start!  :)

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
« Reply #23 on: Feb 14, 2014, 08:50 AM »
One of my buddies got one this season and the thing is awesome. It rode for almost 2 hours in the back of the truck in -12 temps on the way fishing the other day, stated second pull and after warming up stared not even a 1/4 of the way through the first pull every time. I put over 250 holes on that auger that day and the thing never missed a lick. I WILL own one before next season.

I was on a bus and just happened to be sitting on a news paper. This guy came up and asked. "Are you reading that ?"
I said  yes, stood up, turned the page and sat back down.

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #24 on: Feb 15, 2014, 06:27 PM »
Has anyone else noticed how the exhaust blows up into your face?  Just got mine, and drilled 50+ holes with it, and it is great.  Its lite, quiet, and starts easily. 

My only critique is the exhaust blowing into my face.  Its not a deal breaker, as I'll make a shield to redirect it away from me.  Just a minor annoyance.
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #25 on: Feb 15, 2014, 06:32 PM »
You holding it with the carb closest to you? I have never had this happen to me. One thing I like about mine is using my left hand to pull the start cord.

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 15, 2014, 06:49 PM »
No, the exhaust is facing away, but it seems to blow straight up and as Im drilling down, it goes into my face. 
Ive been using my left to start it as well.  It starts that easy. 

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
« Reply #27 on: Feb 15, 2014, 06:54 PM »
I've had mine for about a month now and just love it. Unreal how much torque it has. Bought it because when I tried starting my 9yr old Lazar Mag after summer storage it wouldn't run hardly and I needed a power auger. I have since run a cleaning mix of Seafoam through the old girl and she is back to running great. But there is no way I'd go back to using it. The Honda has won my heart.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #28 on: Feb 15, 2014, 08:16 PM »
No, the exhaust is facing away, but it seems to blow straight up and as Im drilling down, it goes into my face. 
Ive been using my left to start it as well.  It starts that easy.
If mine is blowing in my face I have never noticed. Not even while drilling in my wheel house. I will probably notice it now. lol

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Feb 15, 2014, 08:18 PM »
Sorry about that. But it should be an easy fix

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.