Mobile Site Follow Iceshanty at Twitter Iceshanty Facebook Page Iceshanty Youtube Channel
Ice Fishing Shanty
Home | ThinIce | Chat | Pictures | Archives | ProShop | Militia | Sponsors
Iceshanty.com sponsored in part by:
Marmish | FishUSA | Marcum | Fish307 | Jiffy | Muck Boots | Frabill | FleetFarm | Lindy | Glens | KitteryTradingPost | Cabelas
Apr 19, 2014, 04:16 PM
Support Iceshanty... Get some great gear and forum goodies... Join The Iceshanty Militia

Miss activation email? Check your spam folder! | Forgot password?

Author Topic: WARNING POORLY DESIGNED GARBAGE! NATURES VISION JIG-UP  (Read 9986 times)

Boob Dinkelman

Re: WARNING POORLY DESIGNED GARBAGE! NATURES VISION JIG-UP
« Reply #20 on: Jan 03, 2006, 09:28 AM »
Man, that thing LOOKS like a piece of crap!

I just bought 4 Arctic Fire Frabills at Fleet Farm and tried them out over the weekend.  As someone else observed, no, they're not Beaver Dams, but at about 8 bucks a tipup, they were better built than anything else in that price class.   A metal spool and all metal guides and parts were the key selling point for me.   Plus, they're well lubricated from the factory.   The plastic frames are a little lighter than wood, and elsewhere someone reported that you can weight the end opposite the flag to keep them from 'jumping'.

I guess the point is, really inspect goods before purchasing.   Mail order is scary that way.   Even in-store purchases can take some scrutiny...I examined tipups for a good half hour or more before choosing the Arctic Fires.

The above mentioned things look like something from Popeil.

BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac

• JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
« Reply #21 on: Jan 06, 2006, 01:11 PM »
Saw the genz reels and rods ,thought the same thing, went with the rapapla combo!!!!!!
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

pikie

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #22 on: Jan 06, 2006, 01:27 PM »
Thanks for the info, I was going to buy a few of these too.....  You saved me some of my ice fishing budget for the year!

The Darkness

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #23 on: Nov 12, 2006, 08:13 AM »
That's why I love this site. I was thinking about getting one or two of these myself. Thought they looked a little cheesy. Now I'm glad I didn't.
Think I'll grab a Windlass and give her a try.

WORK is that annoying time between FISHING TRIPS

farmboy

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #24 on: Nov 12, 2006, 01:12 PM »
Just grab an old piece of carpet to cover you hole, cut a small hole in the middle of the carpet to run your line through, and use the vinyl coated ice-free tip up line and the windlass will work great in cold weather conditions.

Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • IceShantyholic

« Reply #25 on: Nov 12, 2006, 02:35 PM »
Sigh I wish I had seen these posts before I bought mine :(  Ive been so looking forward to the automatic jigging ( lazy by nature) is it that loud?   maybe figure away to use it in the shack   lol!  I haven't even taken it out of the package yet ( no where to buy line yet)   well looks like I wasted a 100 bucks so far this year in that tip up and the hole heaters I bought   (Impulsive buyer)   some day Ill learn   (prob not!)
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

SleePac

• Team IceShanty Regular

• I'd Rather Be Ice Fishing!
« Reply #26 on: Nov 12, 2006, 08:14 PM »
Here's another thank you for this post!  I was close to getting one of these.  Our Bass Pro Shop is having their annual ice fishing weekend in a couple of weeks and I had plans of getting one of these!  Looks like my $20 is going elsewhere now!

Skipper

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • IceShantyholic

« Reply #27 on: Nov 13, 2006, 04:45 PM »
Sigh I wish I had seen these posts before I bought mine

I try to never be the first guy with the new and improved wonder gadget. Always let it sell for a year, and check for feedback. They may as well have the president of china endorse ice fishing products, I will not trust Dave Genz's name on anything again!

I learned my lesson the hard way, I burned my cash on garbage deer rifle for $350. The Remington model 710, the answer to all of our woes! That gun was the bigest piece of garbage I have ever put my hands on! At least the price of a jig up isn't so steep. :-\

macker13

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #28 on: Dec 08, 2006, 09:12 AM »
Blarneydog,
Thanks for the warning.  Good job sending it back.
Knowledge is learning from your own mistakes.  Wisdom is learning from the experiences from others.
Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us.  We are wiser for it.

Someone has to be the first "real world" tester.  It''s ok to test things in a nice comfortable environment like a testing lab or a store, but it's not until the rubber meets the road that the true value of something comes out.  It's great to have a forum like this where there are no ulterior motives.  No one is getting paid by the manufacturer or advertiser.  The truth can be told.  It is disappointing that people (Genz) and organizations put their name on things that don't work.  A reputation is difficult to cultivate and easy to tarnish.  Too bad Genz and Ice Team don't get this.

Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac

• MMMM Fish!
« Reply #29 on: Dec 08, 2006, 08:55 PM »
Thanks Mackler13!
Your words a kind indeed...  Your correct in your assessment, I am wiser for my mistake! ;)
TEAM ALASKA

pirkaus

• Team IceShanty Maniac

• Is it safe? You go first.
« Reply #30 on: Dec 10, 2006, 09:25 AM »
I saw the jigging tip-up in the DVD that Natures Vision has out
The spool dipping in and out of the water looked like a nice feature ;D
It looks cheap too :%$#!:
Thankyou :bow: for proving that it is the POS it looks like
It's hard for us turkeys to work.....                                    while dodging S#!* from soaring eagles

Home Wood

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #31 on: Dec 10, 2006, 04:42 PM »
My wife bought me some ice fishing stuff from Cabelas for my birthday this coming friday. Well I couldn't wait and opened my gifts early. She got me one of these auto jigging tip ups. It does seem pretty cheaply made, but hey it was a gift and I'll use it for poops and giggles. I also got a new jig rod, thermals and one of Frabills orange disc looking tip ups. I'm used to the old fashioned 3 wooden stick tip ups. I ordered a new Polar and pimples from Cabelas last week, should be here any day now. We'll see how this auto jigging tip up works. If it's too cold to use, I have plenty of other tip ups to use.
2004 Honda Rancher 350 4x4 quad
2001 Arctic Cat 500 4x4 quad
2005 Arctic Cat Sabercat 600
1995 Ski-doo Formula 670
Jiffy auger
lots of tip ups
2 slush spoons

smoker9000

• IceShanty Rookie

• can't wait for good ice
« Reply #32 on: Dec 11, 2006, 09:37 PM »
 Speaking of endorsment names, have you guys seen that plastic pos Roland Martin is putting his name on. The bazooka fisherman or what ever it's called. Come on I mean does being a pro sportsman pay so poorly you'd have to endorse such Kmart engineered crap. And as for the jig-up, don't feel to bad I was about 2 seconds from buying it on sale for 15 bucks my self, I mean I hear good things about the windlass and it does'nt look to me to be over built if you know what I'm say'n.
Tip Ups*
Jiggin Poles*
Sled*
Bucket*
Ice...
 Wheres the ICE!!!!!!

Smeltecca

• Team IceShanty Addict

• Never mess with another man's hole.
« Reply #33 on: Dec 12, 2006, 03:55 PM »
Thanks for the warning Barley your revenge is this post!
  Ice Fishermen Walk on Water!

mullen2525

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #34 on: Dec 12, 2006, 07:45 PM »
After reading this post the other day, I saw this product at DICKS....got a chuckle out of it...seems to be a low quality product readily available, go figure :)

brujharr

• Team IceShanty Addict

« Reply #35 on: Dec 14, 2006, 06:39 PM »
As a gift, I would say! Thank you, (love & kisses)!  :-* When their not looking, take it back for a refund!  :-X

Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac

« Reply #36 on: Dec 14, 2006, 07:30 PM »
BarelyDog -
One dog to another, thanks for the report.  It does not surprise me.  I ordered their free CD this year, and
from their on info-merical could tell that thing was trouble.  I think I remembered reading your experiences
last year, but it's not surprising.  Hoping you get/got your tip-up jigging problem solved.  If so, update us all please.

MD

BUSCHLITE

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #37 on: Dec 14, 2006, 09:07 PM »
I picked up the Dec. Infishermen today, and watched the DVD they stuck in there. When they got to the part on the jig up, and  I saw that spool going in and out of the water like that, I started to laugh and blew soda pop out my nose. I'll stick with my Beaver Dams thank you. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out whats going to freeze and not turn. They must of done their testing in July, off a dock or something.

Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac

• MMMM Fish!
« Reply #38 on: Dec 14, 2006, 09:50 PM »
Thanks Gents! ;D
Yeah it's funny now!  Last year was a different story...  C.  I'm glad that my mistake will help others in their decisions.

Mainedog,  I did send it back to Cabela's and they refunded me my $$.  I did write them a little letter of concern stating my dismay, (without losing my bearing.)  Well my letter wasn't answered, (I assume it's due to Cabela's being swamped/overwhelmed with GENZ JIG UP returns eh!) Oh well!

Buschlite,
Amen to Beaver Dams!  Infishermen is pimping this monster out now?  Your right about testing it from a dock in the summer.  Problem starts with us folks in Alaska who rarely fish in 32+ degree weather?  :D  If you want something tested for WINTER use, send it up here!  8)

Good Fishing All!
TEAM ALASKA

model8

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #39 on: Dec 16, 2006, 07:12 AM »
that is why i go with all wood tip ups like the high flyers i use they are always well constructed and have never failed me or at least when i respool them the right way lol and they are more visible when the flag goes
jiffy model 30 the only ice auger because the bells and wissles wont  cut ice.

Iceshanty.com sponsored in part by:
Marmish | FishUSA | Marcum | Fish307 | Jiffy | Muck Boots | Frabill | FleetFarm | Lindy | Glens | Cabelas
Home | ThinIce | Chat | Pictures | Archives | ProShop | GearShop | Militia | Sponsors

Ice Fishing @ www.iceshanty.com Fishing @ www.myfishfinder.com Hunting @ www.myhuntingforum.com

Contact | Sponsor IceShanty.com | Disclaimer
©1996- IceShanty.com
All Rights Reserved