Author Topic: Marcum Bounce ??  (Read 11146 times)

Offline NHHARDWATER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • -Aaron-
Re: Marcum Bounce ??
« Reply #30 on: Feb 13, 2014, 12:28 PM »
I know what you are seeing, I've seen it first hand on my fathers LX5 unit.  I've had my LX5 for 4 years now, maybe 5 can't remember BUT never ever even once seen my unit bounce.  I can't imagine this is "normal" or performing as advertised.
You are right, I guess what I meant by that was, that it is still effective for picking up fish, and bottom, but annoying to watch  :)
Chasing Ice

Offline BWB

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Feb 13, 2014, 03:00 PM »
Yeah - I'm not sure I could deal with it all day, not what I saw on my dad's LX5.  Didn't really seem to bother him much.  Dealing with it would be better than not having it at all.

Offline NHHARDWATER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • -Aaron-
« Reply #32 on: Feb 17, 2014, 08:42 AM »
Dealing with it would be better than not having it at all.

X2
Chasing Ice

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #33 on: Feb 19, 2014, 08:05 AM »
I had an lx3tc, it did this to me, I returned it and got an fl12.

The whole screen shifts, from what I could find online, the motor was bad. That is why I exchanged it.

My vex fl12 does the same thing but very rarely and it does it for about 10 seconds and stops. I heard on the vex models, it is the brushes doing this.

I do miss the lx3tc, it was a great flasher and I loved the zoom feature, but my f12 has worked very well for me too.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Feb 28, 2014, 07:42 PM »
I had an lx3tc, it did this to me, I returned it and got an fl12.

The whole screen shifts, from what I could find online, the motor was bad. That is why I exchanged it.

My vex fl12 does the same thing but very rarely and it does it for about 10 seconds and stops. I heard on the vex models, it is the brushes doing this.

I do miss the lx3tc, it was a great flasher and I loved the zoom feature, but my f12 has worked very well for me too.

Your avatar disturbs me very much!!!!
Paul

Offline carcus1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Mar 02, 2014, 06:15 AM »
Where is marcum made?  Vexilar is made in Japan, I have a feeling that marcum is made in china, it sure would explain things!
Ladywood, Manitoba, Canada

Offline Lrains

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Mar 02, 2014, 04:22 PM »
Marcum is American made in Minnesota, unlike vex being made in japan.  This is my first year with the LX 5 having owned the VX 1 and ten years with a fl 18. I have no issues with about 100 hours of use. I question the integrity of some of these posts.

Offline carcus1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Mar 03, 2014, 05:08 AM »
Marcum is American made in Minnesota, unlike vex being made in japan.  This is my first year with the LX 5 having owned the VX 1 and ten years with a fl 18. I have no issues with about 100 hours of use. I question the integrity of some of these posts.

Better send in your warranty card, the new marcums are nothing like the older ones, something has changed, I have a older lx3tc that is bullet proof, liked it so much I bought another, its been in 4 times for the bottom bounce, oh and I had 3 showdowns 5.6's that didn't work, I bet they are made in china, and assembled in minnesota, rapala owns them now?  Just like how the mora augers are crap now, instead of sweden they are made in china!  Oh and I'm not talking out my ar$e, I live right beside Lake winnipeg and I'm out there all winter so my stuff gets some serious use

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #38 on: Mar 03, 2014, 08:42 AM »
ive seen it on 2 units a vx1 pro and lx5.just waiting for my lx3tc to start doing it.so far ive ran it about 60 hours and no screen shifting or bounce.

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Mar 04, 2014, 10:23 PM »
just got my lx3tc back from second trip into Marcum. Both times for the bounce issue and supposedly replaced the motor again. Only used it once since I've gotten it back and worked fine. Hopefully get to use it a few more times this year and with no issues. What little I did use it this year, I was impressed with how well it worked in weeds compared to my fl8??
Paul

Offline Curt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Mar 05, 2014, 04:23 AM »

My buddy has an LX5 that had the bouncing bottom and then the motor went out.  They sent him a new unit and guess what? The bottom bounces on it.  Just because yours does not do it....yet, does not mean that a lot of other people are not having this problem.

Offline dabills

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Mar 08, 2014, 10:09 PM »
Thought I was zeroing in on the flasher I wanted until I found this thread. Difficult decision!

Offline carcus1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Mar 09, 2014, 04:04 AM »
Thought I was zeroing in on the flasher I wanted until I found this thread. Difficult decision!
Get a Vexilar, awesome units, made in Japan!

Offline Lrains

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Mar 09, 2014, 08:03 AM »
Ford Vs Chevy again   Buy what you want they will both  serve you well..

Offline dabills

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Mar 09, 2014, 11:41 AM »
Ford Vs Chevy again   Buy what you want they will both  serve you well..

So you're saying I should buy two? Haha. Yeah I reckon I can't go wrong a flasher will help me a lot regardless of brand. Just a big purchase I'm probably gonna spend around $500 and want something at the very least reliable.

Offline Lrains

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Mar 09, 2014, 01:56 PM »
I have both machines stay away from the tri beam the only trouble I have ever had out of any flasher.  The Marcum will give you finer lines more power etc.  Vex are terrible under ten feet of water in my opinion. As far as mechanical flashers go Vex hasn't changed anything at all still fat lines and low power but it does work.
Learn the flasher you get is the largest key.

Offline dabills

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Mar 09, 2014, 09:21 PM »
I do fish under ten feet so you think a vex wouldn't do the trick? Marcum would be better?

Offline carcus1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Mar 10, 2014, 06:45 AM »
I have both machines stay away from the tri beam the only trouble I have ever had out of any flasher.  The Marcum will give you finer lines more power etc.  Vex are terrible under ten feet of water in my opinion. As far as mechanical flashers go Vex hasn't changed anything at all still fat lines and low power but it does work.
Learn the flasher you get is the largest key.
I have both as well, fish shallow all the time, they both seem to perform the same in shallow water, and I have a lx3tc and a fl20

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Mar 21, 2014, 08:48 AM »
just got my lx3tc back from second trip into Marcum. Both times for the bounce issue and supposedly replaced the motor again. Only used it once since I've gotten it back and worked fine. Hopefully get to use it a few more times this year and with no issues. What little I did use it this year, I was impressed with how well it worked in weeds compared to my fl8??
Paul

Done ice fishing for the year and didn't have anymore issues with my LX3tc. It is a bummer that I had to send it in, but Marcum was very prompt  in answering my e-mails and resolved the problem. That's really all I could have ask for...good luck!
Paul

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Apr 07, 2014, 01:35 PM »
After having the one motor replaced in my unit, I finished the season with over 100 hours of use issue free.  Figured I would follow up.

Offline Da_Roc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez! Ya hve to hunt them to catch em
« Reply #50 on: Jun 30, 2014, 10:18 AM »
The only time I get the sonar echo ( Bounce)  i when I am over big rock or rockss that are 6" or larger in a cluster.  The sonar signal gets caught up in the uneven hard bottom and the signal gets deformed.  It runs sideways instead of up and down which causes the bottom to echo sonar signals in the wrong direction.  Itssssss hard to explain but any sonar over very hard rock will do the same thing.  Its ver hard to fish when the signals get crazy.  I just shoot the camera down and fish that way. 
  Tight lines
  Da-Roc

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #51 on: Oct 09, 2014, 10:11 AM »
They should change something on those motors cause it is common ... The lx5 I had did it I had it fixed and it did it again next trip out... I loved that unit too... No issues with the 7
Fishin red lines

Offline jww311

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Oct 21, 2014, 12:24 PM »
my vx-1 pro did this too...so i said screw marcum sold it and bought a lowrance...

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Oct 22, 2014, 10:04 PM »

not really i've seen probably 20-some 5's in use...not one has had this symptom. 

Offline carcus1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Oct 30, 2014, 09:03 AM »
Lx3 sold, was on my 5th unit due to bottom bounce, didn't want this unit off warranty.  With the flx 28 wasn't so damn expensive!

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #55 on: Oct 31, 2014, 11:38 AM »
It can be fixed.
Just "bounce" the whole thing down your basement stairs and buy a Vexilar ...

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline chop1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Nov 01, 2014, 12:47 PM »
can anyone say if marcum is working on a fix to this problem on the new units ? i was saving for a lx3tc but not sure now !

Offline moneypit2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Nov 01, 2014, 01:10 PM »
It can be fixed.
Just "bounce" the whole thing down your basement stairs and buy a Vexilar ...

:tipup:
NBG
i would never downgrade

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.