The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Auger Size?  (Read 2630 times)

Offline Gnatter

• IceShanty Rookie
Auger Size?
« on: Feb 03, 2014, 01:05 AM »
OK, this is most likely stupid to ask, but hey, that's what I'm here for. ;D

I bought a Strikemaster auger awhile back, the box said a 4inch auger. Measured it and from point to outside
point it measures 5 inches. The blades are Chinese and I 'm thinking of buying Swedish blades. My stupid
question is... wait for it...

Buy the 5 inch blades?

This is my first auger, so instead of wasting money, I thought I'd ask those in the know!  ;D ;D
Thanks!

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
Re: Auger Size?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2014, 01:30 AM »
Howdy Gnatter, I just gotta tell you, the stupidest question is the one not asked.   Is your Strikemaster blue or black ?  Blue is Mora, Black is Lazer, very big difference in performance.   For perch and planter/stocker trout, the 4" should be just fine and a lot less effort.  If you go for fish with a larger cross section, like bull gills, crappie and bass, if you are lucky they will wedge in the hole. That makes the 5" more appealing.  Almost everyone with the Chinese blades, claim they are soft metal and dull quickly. Four years ago, a call to Strikemaster, with the number on your blades, resulted in free, new blades made in Sweden, but that may not be the case now. You may want to find the phone number and ask.     You should keep the blade size the same, as came on the new auger.  That means 5 inch blades.      ;)2

Offline Gnatter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2014, 01:48 AM »
The color is blue so it is not a Lazer. Has cut well through 9 inches of ice and I have been able to bring up some impressive ( too me at least!) bass. Too bad Bass are out of season where I live...they would taste great out of the cold water, and there isn't a shortage of them! Oh well, those are the breaks!
I will go for the 5 inch blades. I know my blades now are Chinese, but I really have no complaints with them. Are Swedish blades really worth the time spent working to pay for them? (this is how I find myself pricing things!).  :-\

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Feb 03, 2014, 08:23 AM »
The Swedish blades are a harder Stainless Steel. They will require less sharpening, stand up to more abuse, get you many more holes, and not rust.

If the box said 4in I would say its a 4in. That being said, Mora doesnt list a 4in on their website..

http://www.rapala.com/Mora/Mora,default,pd.html?start=1&cgid=strikemaster-hand-mora
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline jeffro9023

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2014, 08:39 AM »
There should be a stamping on the blades themselves to tell you what size auger it is....and continue using the blades you have on there until they are dull ( it wont be long now) then replace with good sweden blades...those will last u a while depending on how often u move/ drill...my blades tell me what size they are but the factory cheapo chinese blades might not say...best bet is take a blade off take it to a retailer and match it up when u ready to buy

Offline Gnatter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2014, 10:26 PM »
Thanks everyone. I bought a 4 inch set off ebay a couple of weeks ago, trusting the box. The blades are stamped 90mm, which, according to my math, I believe would fit a 4" auger. They are way too small. The only markings on the original blades read something like "M?00500??. I forget the questionable digits, but a google search of the whole number gave me squat. I will be getting a 5' set of blades. (5"Lazer's are for sale at the local bait shop for $93. I might go to Bass Pro at the end of the season).

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Feb 03, 2014, 11:20 PM »
So what auger DID you buy? You said its blue, so its not a lazer. Strikemaster does not make a 4" mora auger. You probably have a 5" mora.

Don't get tricked into buying a $79.99 lazer auger at BPS for $93 plus tax. You can get one from strikemaster right now for $67.99 plus shipping. The lazer 4" is $63.99.

EYECONICFISHING

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.