Author Topic: times for night fishing  (Read 4266 times)

Offline Salmonquest

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I once killed a gopher with a stick"
times for night fishing
« on: Feb 02, 2014, 10:21 PM »
Many of the guys I fish with claim that the bight stops after dark and usually pack it up. Evening is the time I have to fish. Have you found the fishing to lull after dark and if so does it tend to pick up later in the evening? I have read some of the tips for night fishing but any info is great.

Offline osiris

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: times for night fishing
« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2014, 02:28 AM »
every lake is different some pickup some the bite stops all together but ive had good luck at night

Offline adipose

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT OTHERS THINK OF ME IS NONE OF MY BUSINESS
« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2014, 10:23 PM »
night fishing is great if you watch the moon

Offline Salmonquest

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I once killed a gopher with a stick"
« Reply #3 on: Feb 04, 2014, 05:29 AM »
What do you ean watch the moon? Is tgere a phase to avoid?

Offline Vtgooseman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Take em'
« Reply #4 on: Feb 05, 2014, 03:24 PM »
I agree.  The week before and the week after a full moon can be the best fishing.  As far as time, I have done many overnights and usually after 9pm it slows way down.  If fishing shallows they seem to come in waves every 30 minutes or every hour. 

Offline adipose

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT OTHERS THINK OF ME IS NONE OF MY BUSINESS
« Reply #5 on: Feb 15, 2014, 11:23 PM »
here where i live, my best luck is 10 before full moon. The closer to the full moon,on both sides of the moon are not good. A couple times ive slept on the ice and fished all night at full moon just to see if they were feeding in the night instead of the day.....they did not...it was terrible fishing on the full moon. Just my two cents worth.Most fishing calenders to me are useless. Ive been keeping my own diary now for more than 15 years and can tell you there are definately patterns.

Offline EssoxHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Whoa black crappie bam da lam
« Reply #6 on: Feb 24, 2014, 04:26 PM »
The lake I usually fish, has no natural reproduction,the walleye are stocked as frye,the grow big there.in addition there's little to no traditional walleye structure, it's a mud bottom, except where the beach is sand.walleyes head shallow right before and just after sunset, this is when guys target them.u can't go wrong fishing into the night.
Catch And Release  Pike And Muskie!!!

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #7 on: Oct 28, 2014, 03:20 PM »
Many of the guys I fish with claim that the bight stops after dark and usually pack it up. Evening is the time I have to fish. Have you found the fishing to lull after dark and if so does it tend to pick up later in the evening? I have read some of the tips for night fishing but any info is great.

Water clarity, ice depth and snow cover is a big deal here. I fish on a relatively clear lake for walleyes and there's a definite lull in the action between duck and dark. I think it may take them time to adjust to the total darkness.  One thing I'll do after dark, is run bigger shiners/suckers and run them on the bottom so their bodies and or tails kick up silt.

Offline upnortfishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 04, 2014, 09:15 PM »
In most cases if you're comparing it to primetime(the pre-dusk to sunset feeding time) it is definitely slower. My experiences lead me to agree with adipose that full moons generally mean a pretty poor bite, I still love to be out overnights with a bright full moon shining down on an empty snow covered lake is stunning and if I can catch just 1 walleye it is totally worth it.

As others have mentioned lots of factors are going to play a role if you catch walleye at night, but if thats the time you have for fishing do it. Find a good lake, learn the patterns and you'll end up catching fish.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 12, 2014, 08:28 PM »
A lake where I have had luck on, the bite starts at duck and fish can be caught has late has 1 in the morning.

Offline thewyler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go hard or go home
« Reply #10 on: Dec 02, 2014, 10:53 PM »
I
LOVE
RATTLE
REEL
FISHING
In the off season so much as a similar pitched ding bolts me awake, and grabs my attention, i wish there was lakes around me that had a decent night bite since millilacs shut off
go hard or go home

Offline big bobber

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • cant fish during the day...learn to fish at night
« Reply #11 on: Dec 04, 2014, 11:38 AM »
been out for weeks...no walleye...full moon is on the 6th this month...the week before the full moon has brought me 3 wallys..so id have to say the moon phase has everything to do with night time wallys. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap
i just know they will bite if i stay another hour.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #12 on: Dec 22, 2014, 02:31 PM »
I also have never done any good walleye fishing after dark right around the full moon. Best hours are 1 hour before sunset to about 1 hour after sunset then it slows way down. You will still catch some but long waits in between. If I was able to get up early I found the best fishing was early morning 1 hour before sunrise until about 8:00am. I'm just not a early morning person.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 22, 2014, 02:45 PM »
I night fish a GREAT deal when open water fishing (mostly trophy bass) and find the full moon shuts off the bite, but it is the light of the moon, not the date... Give me a good cloud cover or shadow of a hill side and I will still do well... So, the question is; was it light level or calender?

Offline Jeremy_D

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 22, 2014, 09:30 PM »
Are you guys talking about a complete full moon? Looking at this
http://www.moonconnection.com/moon_phases_calendar.phtml
About the 3rd-10th is pretty close to a full moon. Would it be a waste on all those nights or is the bad fishing in a smaller window?

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #15 on: Dec 22, 2014, 09:50 PM »
Here's a link that will really put you more 'in the know'.       ;)2

http://www.lake-link.com/info/barometric_pressure.cfm

And, come back here to check this one out.     ;)2     Enter your zip code.

http://www.usprimetimes.com/7day.html?msg=jc1

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.