The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: need new auger and have questions???  (Read 881 times)

Offline michiganpolarbear

• Team IceShanty Regular
need new auger and have questions???
« on: Feb 02, 2014, 06:23 PM »
for those that have tried the fin bore 3 pro auger is the 8 inch comparable to the nills 8 inch? in cutting  or should i go with a 6 inch?? looking at these auger and need to know if the 8 inch cut as fast as the nils 8 inch cause i will buy a nils head if it is not the same?? any ways thanks for any info you can give on the finbore 3 i own a nill and i am sick at how long the head on mine lasted that why i am thinking finbore 3 pro either the 6 or the 8 inch...

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: need new auger and have questions???
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2014, 06:50 PM »
Hey MPB so you are not happy about how long the nils lasted before having to have it resharpened? This is an 8"? Just wondering how long you had the Nils before it became dull. Not sure but I thought Fin Bore augers used the same blades as Lazers.
Fish on!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2014, 07:30 PM »
Hey MPB so you are not happy about how long the nils lasted before having to have it resharpened? This is an 8"? Just wondering how long you had the Nils before it became dull. Not sure but I thought Fin Bore augers used the same blades as Lazers.

had the 8 inch for half a year to a year before it went dull... i think it went dull last season and tried it this season. took a lot of pressure to get it to cut. now i  am thinking the fin bore would be a awesome auger in a 8 or even a 6 inch. and am wondering if the 8 cuts like a nills? if not i will go with the 6 inch from fish307.com. reason being sick of cutting threw 18 inches of ice with a hand 8 inch lazer...  need more power and just don't got it...... 

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2014, 08:07 PM »
had the 8 inch for half a year to a year before it went dull... i think it went dull last season and tried it this season. took a lot of pressure to get it to cut. now i  am thinking the fin bore would be a awesome auger in a 8 or even a 6 inch. and am wondering if the 8 cuts like a nills? if not i will go with the 6 inch from fish307.com. reason being sick of cutting threw 18 inches of ice with a hand 8 inch lazer...  need more power and just don't got it......
I know what you mean brother. I have a 5" Lazer, 6" Nils and 7" Lazer Mag-Xpress. I fished yesterday and today and I fished ice 18"-20" and
only brought the Nils in case the gas auger wouldn't run. I am really glad I have it with the ice we have this year.

Greg
Fish on!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2014, 09:10 PM »
I know what you mean brother. I have a 5" Lazer, 6" Nils and 7" Lazer Mag-Xpress. I fished yesterday and today and I fished ice 18"-20" and
only brought the Nils in case the gas auger wouldn't run. I am really glad I have it with the ice we have this year.

Greg

yep that why i want to buy another nills head or a finbore 3.  but just don't know if it was bent when i bought it never relay let any one use it out of my sight and they never thumped it on the ice etc.. etc.. the guy i let casue i knew him.  but for sure can tell it is bent maybe it was from clearing the bottom of the hole getting the chunks of ice out of it what the auger did not gut threw. i usually pull up to clear the hole and i am wondering if it bent the head ? i think i caught the head on the bottom of the hole when pulling it threw which may have bent the head?  half way threw last season it started cutting like crap  like started needing pressure to cut the holes.  if i would have know they were that touchy i would have brought the spud to clear it the rest of the way ? i am wondering if the fin bore 3 would be as touchy as the nils and would it be better buying the nils head over that of the finbore? this problem  just tells me to be careful more so will see? any ways just trying to get opinions of what to do? $100 is a lot of money to sink in to a head or a new auger?

any ways thank for the advise and best of luck..   

Offline ducati

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 06, 2014, 06:10 AM »
I had a similar situation, new Nils 8" that quit cutting. After a lot of debate I decided to buy another head and send the other one in for resharpening.  The new head is working well but I am still bent out of shape that I am into this hand auger for about $250.00 now.  I plan on picking up a 6" Fin-Bore 3 for a back up.  I do not have confidence that the Nils will stay reliable.

Offline Sharp Nils

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 06, 2014, 07:10 AM »
  If you have to push on the Nils it needs sharpening soon.   If you bent the blade/mount I correct that at the same time its in for sharpening.
Back to pushing to cut. You might notice after drilling  the hole isn't round and straight.  Both blades are not working together and pushing on it to drill is forcing it to cut.  Eventually it won't cut at all.   Anyway it drilled a goofy hole and now your trying to get the head back up through that hole.  Rotate the drill as you pull, that'll help the head get started up and it'll be easy to get out.

Frank DeLuca

[email protected]

Offline OldCaveman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 14, 2014, 06:55 PM »
 I bought a 8" Fin Bore III this fall and I'm amazed how well it cuts. Never used a Nil's so I'm unable to compare. I've probably drilled 100 holes so far this year and last time out was 14". I haven't used my power auger yet. I paid 2/3rds the price of a Nils for the Fin Bore and I'm hoping there not as fussy. Good luck with your choice.
John

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.