The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Best cordless drill for use on ice auger  (Read 3307 times)

Offline iceman2719

• Team IceShanty Regular
Best cordless drill for use on ice auger
« on: Feb 02, 2014, 07:12 AM »
Just curious how many people have gone this route instead of the gas augers. & what brand & models are most common. Give me some good & bad reviews on those. Thanks
Don't horse em!

Offline digger953

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • build a bridge an float under it
Re: Best cordless drill for use on ice auger
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2014, 09:38 AM »
used to use a milwauke 18 volt cordless drill
worked good just keep your batteries as warm as possible

Offline oneman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2014, 11:22 AM »
I use a DeWalt drill, but I don't see a difference in the Brand of drill as long as the batteries are good and preferably 18V or better. The only thing I noticed is that is works better on a 6" auger than it does on a 8".
There is no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask questions.

Offline iceman2719

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2014, 12:30 PM »
Well I'm gonna reapply to my own post. Just tried my new Milwaukee m18 fuel drill/driver with lithium batteries.on an 8" strikemaster mora auger. AWESOME!!! Takes about 7 seconds to go threw 11" of ice.Drilled 8 holes battery life still full. I'm switching to 7" blades on my auger to get few more holes per battery. From what I've read the drill is the key here. This Milwaukee M18 fuel has over 550 lbs of tourque in the low setting. Went threw like hot butter without bogging the motor at all. This is the way to go. Way lighter than gas auger, no mixing gas/oil. & much less $$$.
Don't horse em!

Offline jitterbug

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2014, 01:01 PM »
Well I'm gonna reapply to my own post. Just tried my new Milwaukee m18 fuel drill/driver with lithium batteries.on an 8" strikemaster mora auger. AWESOME!!! Takes about 7 seconds to go threw 11" of ice.Drilled 8 holes battery life still full. I'm switching to 7" blades on my auger to get few more holes per battery. From what I've read the drill is the key here. This Milwaukee M18 fuel has over 550 lbs of tourque in the low setting. Went threw like hot butter without bogging the motor at all. This is the way to go. Way lighter than gas auger, no mixing gas/oil. & much less $$$.

The Milwaukee fuel series is the way to go. They just came out with a brand-new 4.0 amp hour battery that is replacing the old one that comes with the kit. But all the kits I could find have the old battery in it. The new battery is supposed to last even longer. I'm in the process of trying to find out when the new batteries will be included in the kit.

Offline pooch2543

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH ON!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 17, 2014, 08:42 AM »
The Milwaukee fuel series is the way to go. They just came out with a brand-new 4.0 amp hour battery that is replacing the old one that comes with the kit. But all the kits I could find have the old battery in it. The new battery is supposed to last even longer. I'm in the process of trying to find out when the new batteries will be included in the kit.

Are we talking about the actual m18 fuel drill driver or hammer drill?

Offline jitterbug

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 17, 2014, 09:06 AM »
Are we talking about the actual m18 fuel drill driver or hammer drill?

I found the drill with the 4.0 amp hour batteries in the package. You can use either drill you just don't set it in hammer. I have used it and it is awesome. The first time I drilled 12 holes through 12 inches of ice and used 1/4 of the power in one battery according to the gauge on the battery.  The second time I drilled 25 holes and used 1/2the power in the battery, and I have 2 batteries. To me that means I should get 100 holes with 2 batteries, with a 6 inch auger. That's more than enough holes for me in one day. It weighs about the same as a hand auger, maybe 10 lbs. not all drills or batteries work like that. 

Offline iceman2719

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 17, 2014, 01:47 PM »
I have the drill/driver & it it awesome & yea I agree about the 4.0 lithium batteries. They give a little more torque too. From what I've heard/read you can use the hammer drill but like mentioned above done have it on the hammer setting & in the lowest torque mode. I put the 7" blades on my mora auger I'm able to 22 holes on one 4.0 battery threw 12" of ice.
Don't horse em!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.