New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Butternut Pond-Keeseville, Chesterfield, Willsboro, Port Douglas area?  (Read 3759 times)

Offline Miller52

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hey guy just wondering If this is open to fish after I drove by the other weekend on I87 and seen some clams out there. DEC has it listed on their website in Essexs County under private but I read on a page that the land it was on is part of a sanctuary created for hunting and fishing and is state land. Is Butternut now open to the public for fishing?

Offline Superpole

• Team IceShanty Regular
No.  Private.

Offline Eaglecrg

• Team IceShanty Regular
About 30 years ago I fished Butternut a few times, but not on the ice.  At the time, we just pulled right off the northway, there were a few tire tracks where others did it any you could get well off the road if you had 4wd.  We dragged a john boat to the lake and fished.  Never got stopped but shouldn't have done it either and I wouldn't do it today.  At the time, there was only one shack on the lake which has been replaced by a camp from what I can see on Google maps. 

Offline Crash1433

• Team IceShanty Regular
I think those people are part of the group that leases the land to the west of the pond for hunting. If you look through the trees there is a road that leads right to the water. The big thing about that pond is that since it is Keeseville's drinking water supply you cannot use anything gas powered. No gas augurs, no wheelers anything. I do know that the rest of the ground around the pond is heavily posted so someone just walking on is taking a chance. Especially since you are so visible to everyone going by. Also, a couple of years ago I know of a group that was out there without permission and the supervisor at the time went out and asked them to leave. I have been working on getting on there before the end of the season without much luck so far.

Offline MJB518

• Team IceShanty Regular
I have fished there twice this year. Several times last year. There is a way to access without trespassing.  You just have to find it. Crappie, a lot of pike. Nothing big. Huge LM.

Like this one

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
My families camp is just on the other side of poke-o-moonshine from butternut.   when I was a youngin', my dad and I would troll it for pike, and did pretty darn well most times.  In the summer, you can get in there via quad trail through the old jellystone park road off rt 9.  Those pike in there are delicious!

Offline mikerudy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Laker Taker
My families camp is just on the other side of poke-o-moonshine from butternut.   when I was a youngin', my dad and I would troll it for pike, and did pretty darn well most times.  In the summer, you can get in there via quad trail through the old jellystone park road off rt 9.  Those pike in there are delicious!

(Image removed from quote.)
The one holding the fish is a good looking fella...Do you know which one? LOL, just kidding , good looking pic :icefish: :icefish: :icefish:

Mike
Dream Catcher

Offline MJB518

• Team IceShanty Regular
These are from a trip this year

Offline SSmithNY92

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Run it hot!
As stated, there is a way to walk on without encountering a posted sign, but the land around it is definitely private. Since I'm not 100% positive the way to get on is okay, I'm not going to say on here, however I do know it used to be fine because it involved water feeding to the pond. The law used to read that if a creek/river/any kind of flowing water fed a body of water they couldn't technically post it, but it was changed to say that you have to be able to float whatever craft you bring. The way I know, you definitely couldn't float anything through.

With the questionable legality aside, there are a lot of pike in there that are decent sized, and a good population of lunker largemouth. I don't know about perch/crappies/other panfish but I would assume there are some in there.
Common sense isn't so common.

The fishing was always better yesterday.

Ice Team Member.

Offline Miller52

• Team IceShanty Regular
So as some of you guys have said there is a way to get on without trespassing. But nobody has told me how as I want to go try it this weekend and run tip ups for pike and bass and one of you said crappie but there is supposed to be perch in it too. I would greatly appreciate it if someone told me where I could park and walk on with my shanty cause I would not bring my quad out there. The help is greatly appreciated but more info on how to get on and where to park would have me set to go. Thanks Guys!

Offline SSmithNY92

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Run it hot!
I'll shoot you a PM Miller.
Common sense isn't so common.

The fishing was always better yesterday.

Ice Team Member.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.