Mobile Site Follow Iceshanty at Twitter Iceshanty Facebook Page Iceshanty Youtube Channel

Home | ThinIce | Chat | Pictures | Archives | ProShop | Militia | Sponsors
Iceshanty.com sponsored in part by:
FishUSA | Marcum | Fish307 | KTP | Cabelas | CJS | PolarBird | AcmeTackle
Sep 25, 2017, 02:55 AM
Support Iceshanty... Get some great gear and forum goodies... Join The Iceshanty Militia

This board sponsored in part by

Author Topic: SARATOGA LAKE BS THREAD  (Read 57473 times)

Jazzangler442

• IceShanty Rookie

Re: SARATOGA LAKE BS THREAD
« Reply #20 on: Jan 31, 2014, 09:08 PM »
I havent had much luck lately on Saratoga Lake myself...I must admit this is my first year Ice Fishing but my fish catching has decreased over the past 2 weeks. 

iceangler442

• Team IceShanty Regular

• Got ice?
« Reply #21 on: Jan 31, 2014, 09:16 PM »
I havent had much luck lately on Saratoga Lake myself...I must admit this is my first year Ice Fishing but my fish catching has decreased over the past 2 weeks.
x2

fishyfishes

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #22 on: Jan 31, 2014, 10:01 PM »
I've been jigging up decent perch in deep25fow by the hill.
Whack'em and stack'em

Jazzangler442

• IceShanty Rookie

« Reply #23 on: Jan 31, 2014, 10:51 PM »
I've been jigging up decent perch in deep25fow by the hill.
By Fitch Rd?

frozenby

• IceShanty Rookie

« Reply #24 on: Feb 01, 2014, 04:18 AM »
Well, tried jigging. All blue gill and one crappie. Not one perch! Some holes clear of weeds, and 5 feet over solid weed cover. About 8 feet of water. Perhaps I gotta get into deeper water for crappies/perch?

phil2

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #25 on: Feb 01, 2014, 04:32 AM »
Been up and down for me to. One sat got my limit by noon of walleyes with a 5 &a 4 lbr with a half bucket of perch next day 2 perch. Following weekend four of us 106 big perch sun 10. I'm just going to fish sat..lol

buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict

« Reply #26 on: Feb 01, 2014, 05:28 AM »
I've been fishing Saratoga for 45 years and yes it has seen better days.  I think the weed programs have been bad for the fish (they say the poisons they are using aren't toxic but they are removing the habitat!).  My best years were around 1980, just before the weed programs got going for serious.  In the early 1980's I had some evenings with 25 walleyes.

Good news, the panfish are thriving.  All those dink perch will grow.  And hint, hint, look around until you get away from the dinks.  The keepers are still around, they just don't seem to be schooling up like the dinks.  Yesterday we caught 15 keepers but had to be patient at each hole (they did not bite immediately) and be willing to move around.

I think the walleye population took a big hit the last couple of years due to early iceout and the meat hunters that took advantage to fish the mouth of the Kaydeross prior to the season closing.  Did a lot of damage. 

iceangler442

• Team IceShanty Regular

• Got ice?
« Reply #27 on: Feb 01, 2014, 08:43 AM »
Hopefully in a couple years all those dinks will be nice keepers ;D

frozenby

• IceShanty Rookie

« Reply #28 on: Feb 01, 2014, 09:52 AM »
Well, we had ok luck for BlueGill, but no perch/crappie. We were in about 8 feet of water. Perhaps those fish are out deeper?

Rainonme37

• IceShanty Rookie

« Reply #29 on: Feb 01, 2014, 10:39 AM »
Fished off Fitch rd yesterday. 5 bass flags and 1 large pickerel. Everyone is saying the same thing about toga. Very slow year.

PeterC

• IceShanty Rookie

« Reply #30 on: Feb 01, 2014, 02:02 PM »
Hey buz23-- I have been around long enough to have fished the lake back in the 60's and early 70's as a kid (whenyou could keep 12 inchers). Moved away and just in last couple of years getting back on toga a few times coming from Albany.
Knwowing the old spots I was thinking Kaydeross in late season would make perfect sense. How hard is it hit, and are they really putting tha big a  hurt on the overall walley fishing? In some ways it should be the plan to fish there to be successful.  Also in my memory, is getting walleyes through the ice off  Brown's beach, is that still an option in current
times?

IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict

« Reply #31 on: Feb 01, 2014, 02:58 PM »
Big perch are still in there. Just have to find them. I fished deeper water than usual and pulled up some nice size perch. A lot of dinks too though.

iceangler442

• Team IceShanty Regular

• Got ice?
« Reply #32 on: Feb 01, 2014, 06:55 PM »
Fished off Fitch rd yesterday. 5 bass flags and 1 large pickerel. Everyone is saying the same thing about toga. Very slow year.

If you don't mind me asking what were you using for bait on the tip ups

Pickeralpicker91

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #33 on: Feb 01, 2014, 08:06 PM »
Been catching some nice perch but I also move like a mad man.  I will just bring nothing but a sled with my auger, a small jig box and a jigging rod.  I'll drill a hole, fish it for 5 minutes and if no fish then it move a few feet over and try again.  If no fish after a while then I'll move 50-100 feet and try again.  Never failed to find at least enough for a meal.

iceangler442

• Team IceShanty Regular

• Got ice?
« Reply #34 on: Feb 01, 2014, 08:53 PM »
Anybody think it will be safe enough to drive out on the ice off of fitch? (after this rain..)

Rainonme37

• IceShanty Rookie

« Reply #35 on: Feb 01, 2014, 09:20 PM »
On the tip ups I was using pike shiners

Pickeralpicker91

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #36 on: Feb 01, 2014, 09:24 PM »
Anybody think it will be safe enough to drive out on the ice off of fitch? (after this rain..)

I think it will be fine.  The ice is plenty thick but be careful if you don't know the lake.  I see guys hauling out across the lake and just hope they know where the springs are.

buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict

« Reply #37 on: Feb 02, 2014, 04:01 AM »
Hey buz23-- I have been around long enough to have fished the lake back in the 60's and early 70's as a kid (whenyou could keep 12 inchers). Moved away and just in last couple of years getting back on toga a few times coming from Albany.
Knwowing the old spots I was thinking Kaydeross in late season would make perfect sense. How hard is it hit, and are they really putting tha big a  hurt on the overall walley fishing? In some ways it should be the plan to fish there to be successful.  Also in my memory, is getting walleyes through the ice off  Brown's beach, is that still an option in current
times?

The last couple years guys were limiting out multiple times by shore fishing at the mouth of the Kaydeross prior to the season closing.  The closed season is supposed to protect the fish when they queued up for spawning.  It used to be that the closed season was a little too early- i.e., you could still get in on the action after the May opening.  With warmer climate and earlier ice out, the opposite is true - the closed season is too late.  DEC needs to adjust their dates to get with the times.

I don't target walleyes anymore, prefer chasing perch.  I've heard that they catch 'eyes in the South end of the lake (Browns Beach and beyond) but those who are successful stay out for several hours after dark.  No personal experience with this in years, however.  The only decent walleye I caught in recent years was in fairly shallow water when I went out from Fitch road before light one day a couple of years ago.  I caught a sub-legal one jigging for perch this year (along with bass, rock bass, sunnies, gills, perch, and believe it or not a good sized bullhead).

IceNeck9292

• Team IceShanty Addict

« Reply #38 on: Feb 02, 2014, 09:52 AM »

havent had much or a hard time findem ... theres years that are good and some bad. I tend to do pretty decent on toga just about every time... spend alot of time searchin tho iv been on this lake my whole life but to this day can still amaze me and challange me.. all the picture are from a diffrent day except the two bass. . Have akot more pica of diffrent days but trying to do this through the phone is tough... alls i can say to people is get a map and do ur research... i see the same thing every weekend everyone crowds the same places on that lake .. south end and fitch... theres the whole lake out there but people walk on and see a bunch of folk and think hey they must be getting into fish if theres this many people that close... cant do the same routine year in and year out.. water changes fish get older and smarter... good luck to u all and get out there before the ice is gone !

Cacth them by day, fillet them by night.

NatefishNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac

« Reply #39 on: Feb 02, 2014, 10:52 AM »
I think the walleye population took a big hit the last couple of years due to early iceout and the meat hunters that took advantage to fish the mouth of the Kaydeross prior to the season closing.  Did a lot of damage.

My buddies and I have discussed this very topic, especially after the warm winters we have had the past two years. It has been a free for all down at the Kay, a lot of guys taking way over there daily limits... taking 5 in the morning and another 5 at night... and worse there keeping the big breeder females... It has also lead to a lot more trash down there... but the way this years going, that may not be an issue... we should have ice through March 15th...
            P.E.T.A. = People Eating Tasty Animals

Iceshanty.com sponsored in part by:
FishUSA | Marcum | Fish307 | Cabelas | CJS | PolarBird AcmeTackle
Home | ThinIce | Chat | Pictures | Archives | ProShop | GearShop | Militia | Sponsors

Ice Fishing @ www.iceshanty.com Fishing @ www.myfishfinder.com Hunting @ www.myhuntingforum.com

Contact | Sponsor IceShanty.com | Disclaimer
©1996- IceShanty.com
All Rights Reserved