Author Topic: Merritt Fishing Report  (Read 7672 times)

Offline IceHutt

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep & bear arms.Assume nothing.Fish & hunt often!
Re: Merritt Fishing Report
« Reply #30 on: Feb 25, 2014, 05:38 PM »
Hi, anyone have any fresh reports on the ice conditions and fishing at Merritt?  Thanks

Offline hardh2ofish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Feb 26, 2014, 02:24 AM »
Don't know much newer than I fished boardman last Friday as previously mentioned.  Viasandhillgill caught a whopper of a muskie on Sunday.  Maybe Mr merrit will get on soon as he gets back from Colorado and learns what's up since he's been gone.  Other than that I haven't heard anything.   What are you after icehutt?

Fishing should be the exercise of your skills- and its rewards the places it brings you to
                                                                           Negley Farson
Going Fishing

Offline IceHutt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Feb 26, 2014, 08:05 AM »
Thanks hardh2ofish,
At this point I would be happy catching bait minnows!  ;D  I haven't had a chance to do any hardwater time since 2-8-14. :(   I woul like to tie into a few northern pike though.  Have you heard what area they are catching them at now on merritt?   Thanks.  :)

Offline hardh2ofish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Feb 26, 2014, 09:35 AM »
What for bait?  Or where?   Best bait seems to be live bait.  I like big creek chubs.  Sweezys outdoors and merrit trading post have both had sucker chubs.  A little small for my taste but I've seen some nice fish caught on them.  Not sure what either will have on hand for this weekend.  I could check for you.  I'd bring my own if you could find big ones and keep them alive.

Fishing should be the exercise of your skills- and its rewards the places it brings you to
                                                                           Negley Farson
Going Fishing

Offline viasandhillgill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Feb 26, 2014, 12:04 PM »
Sweeys suppose to have chubs in Friday. Thats what I caught my muskie on.  Ice was about 14 inches but there was open water in the area too. It helps to know the area you are fishing. This snow we are getting dosn't help. Don't plan on going again until it warms up alittle going to be real cold this week end single digit highs. Be careful.

Offline Mr Merritt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Feb 27, 2014, 10:03 AM »
Latest report said about 12" in Boardman.  Should be pretty firm but don't take anything for granted.  Some snow on top of the ice makes thin spots hard to see.  No reports on Snake but I would be extremely wary there. Main lake has lots of open water patches.  Travel on main lake not advised.

Offline Mr Merritt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Feb 28, 2014, 08:26 AM »
The big pike anglers have been catching in the back of Boardman Creek on Merritt have been full of 4"-6" alewives.  Judging by their excellent condition (34" fish weighing about 11#'s) I'd say they are feeding very well.  I know of two massive pike of over 43" taken this winter.
  Reports of a foot of ice with the top 6" white, the bottom 6" clear and the very cold forecast suggest fishable conditions through next weekend in Boardman Creek.  Those wanting a last hurrah on Nebraska ice should make plans now.  Don't forget to bring late ice safety equipment (picks, ropes, lifejackets etc.) and use common sense in the late winter conditions.

Offline IceHutt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Mar 03, 2014, 09:42 AM »
Merritt reports after this last cold weekend?  Just curious how things are holding up with the ice and the fishing.  Thanks

Offline Mr Merritt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Mar 03, 2014, 09:55 AM »
I had one group out fishing this weekend.  They reported about 12" of ice in Boardman Creek, 6" white on top and 6" clearer on the bottom.  They managed a couple of pike in the 30" range, a nice channel cat, and a scant handful of panfish.  They were newbies to Merritt so they did struggle.  Bitterly cold conditions did not encourage them to move around much either.

Offline IceHutt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Mar 03, 2014, 11:43 AM »
Thanks for the report, John.   :)

Offline sandhillguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Mar 05, 2014, 02:27 AM »
Hey John its Tyler, was hopin to get back up that way and try my luck at more fishing before ice out this year but looks like work isnt going to permit such playtime. Bummer. Lol at least i know where not to drive now though..... Especially with a big suv and trailer.... Lol idiot here....... But anyways i happened to see in a thread i was reading that you are rather fond of smallmouth... Ive got a little exciting opportunity for you if you have a day to spend away from the Trading Post, and its not much of a trip at all. :) Ill give you a ring soon.

Offline Mr Merritt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Mar 05, 2014, 08:21 AM »
Thanks for the shout out Tyler.  Getting out of here is seldom easy but I am interested.  Talk to you soon.

Offline hardh2ofish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Mar 06, 2014, 08:58 PM »
Hank and I fished the back of the Boardman today.   Ice was 17".  Major snow melt today.  Ice won't last long with these temps.   Hanks buddy managed an super fat 35" pike that weighed 14#.   Found a tree that was holding small gills and a few small perch.  No flags at all past ten am this morning.  No live bait though.  Still, the weather was amazing and met some great people today.  Never a bad day when your fishing! 

Negley Farson
Going Fishing

Offline hankthecrank

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Nothing better than DR PEPPER on shaved ice.
« Reply #43 on: Mar 06, 2014, 09:43 PM »
Yep by far the most beautiful day on the ice this year, too bad the catching wasn't as great as the day. Got my friend interested in IS hope he shows up and joins. Hinted to him about lurkers :-\. Anyway great day with friends and new acquaintances.
DR PEPPER POWERED PIKE HUNTER

THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN FISHING AND CATCHING, IS ONE FISH.

Offline fishngolf

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The bigger the teeth, the better it gets!!!
« Reply #44 on: Mar 07, 2014, 07:50 AM »
Congratulations on your buddy getting his huge pike, Hank. Glad you guys could get in on that, those pike are just hog fat this year. :tipup: 

Offline Mr Merritt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Mar 07, 2014, 08:21 AM »
  I had 2 anglers that stayed with me report some panfish action downstream from Beeds on the South East side.  They caught a half dozen each crappies and perch.  They also reported about 14" of ice there.  Said the ice was ok but lots of melt water on top.  Thanks to all who reported above.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.