Author Topic: Marcum Lx-7 or Flx-28  (Read 13460 times)

Offline Chevelle68327

• IceShanty Rookie
Marcum Lx-7 or Flx-28
« on: Jan 30, 2014, 07:55 AM »
Another ford vs Chevy post.  I am stuck between the 2. I send my ice 55 back and now looking for something else..

I like the idea of the Lx7 of having a digital flasher but I am also on the fence with how well will it hold up with the rough conditions on the ice and with the software issues..

The Flx-28 looks like it would be more durable on the ice. But the price comparison it feels like your over paying for a vexilar.

Most of my fishing will be in a shanty but some days I do fish outside and move around. I spent days looking through every post and video I can find on these 2 units and even spent 20minutes at cabelas staring at both. I am still on the fence, wish I could buy both but can't.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Marcum Lx-7 or Flx-28
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30, 2014, 08:40 AM »
is there anyway you can find a way to use both on the ice?

Offline mattstark44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2014, 08:51 AM »
Go with the Vexilar unless you want to be messing with updates all the time.  I had the Marcum LX-7 and I could notice a small delay and didn't like it.

Offline moneypit2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2014, 08:55 AM »
my buddy was also on the fence last year and chose a fl 20, so this year after staring at my lx7 he bought the lx7 now the fl20 collects dust on the shelf.the lx7 will never get old with updating cant say the same for that flx28 i have seen them both in action and none of the vexilars do anything for me just my 2 cents
vexilars have a good place in a history book thats about it. its 2014 not 1989 they need to do something different already to justify that price

Offline BassOn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2014, 08:56 AM »
well i also buy the best so therefore i drive a chevy and own a marcum lx7...am very happy with both and never let me down.

Offline moneypit2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 30, 2014, 08:56 AM »
Go with the Vexilar unless you want to be messing with updates all the time.  I had the Marcum LX-7 and I could notice a small delay and didn't like it.
and theres no delay at all on mine or my buddys

Offline Arcom

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 30, 2014, 09:10 AM »
what made you return the ice55? was it because of the digital read-out scan? and now you another digital flasher for an extra $100+. Should have stuck with the 55, but why dont you go for something like the lx5. Pretty much the same specs as the 55 other then its not digital and its in the same price range.

Offline patapus

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 30, 2014, 09:19 AM »
I fished Devils Lake ND last weekend with a guide's FL28 because I forgot to charge my LX7... that lasted 20 min until i asked the guide if i could use his battery in mine.

Running the chart zoom mode on the LX7 makes it so easy to see fish and see multiple jigs or multiple fish.

Haven't noticed any delay with mine, and haven't had any update issues.

Offline moneypit2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 30, 2014, 09:21 AM »
I fished Devils Lake ND last weekend with a guide's FL28 because I forgot to charge my LX7... that lasted 20 min until i asked the guide if i could use his battery in mine.

Running the chart zoom mode on the LX7 makes it so easy to see fish and see multiple jigs or multiple fish.

Haven't noticed any delay with mine, and haven't had any update issues.
thats priceless right there he was prolly like huhh

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #9 on: Jan 30, 2014, 09:31 AM »
I use both on a regular basis and I believe the FLX-28 takes the cake. Mechanical flashers > digital for me any day.

In my experience the FLX-28 has a finer resolution, loses less bottom on steep incline or rocks, is lighter and more compact, better on battery.. I could go on.

You'll be happy with either, but good luck even finding an FLX-28. They've been sold out here since November.
"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

Offline D_wood

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 30, 2014, 09:33 AM »
I have the FL18 pro pack and love it! Just throwing that out there its a good option

Offline bighof

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • have you seen me walk on water????
« Reply #11 on: Jan 30, 2014, 10:08 AM »
I use both on a regular basis and I believe the FLX-28 takes the cake. Mechanical flashers > digital for me any day.

In my experience the FLX-28 has a finer resolution, loses less bottom on steep incline or rocks, is lighter and more compact, better on battery.. I could go on.

You'll be happy with either, but good luck even finding an FLX-28. They've been sold out here since November.

The amount of bottom you are losing has to do with the cone angle more than anything else.  I looked at both of the mentioned flashers and still thought the LX-5 gave me the best performance.  I was really looking for a reason to upgrade.... couldnt do it.  Out of the two I would go with the lx-7 though,  It all depends on what you are used to.  I do not like how all the lines run together on the vex.  I can put my lx5 or the lx7 on SFL and get amazing target separation.... I was not getting that on the flx-28.
l

Offline brink

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 30, 2014, 11:48 AM »
I'm an LX7 kind of guy and don't notice any delay.  The target separation is great in my opinion. 
That's some tasty iced tea.

Offline Chevelle68327

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 30, 2014, 01:27 PM »
I sent the ICE 55 back because of the readout and backlite flashing all the time either on fhe lake of in demo mode at home... I guess 75% of people say this is normal.. idk mine didnt start doing this after the first day out.. made me question quility..

The flx28 is still avai around here.

Offline Smally22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 30, 2014, 02:13 PM »
Got to be the LX-7.  Absolutely love the screen and optional layouts.  Very impressed
Keep Your Stick on the ICE!!!

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 30, 2014, 03:03 PM »
This question is asked every other day.  The answer is there is no answer.  Your going to have the same arguments on both sides and both are good.  Study up and you decide unless you want to buy one of each.

Offline DFresh75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 30, 2014, 03:24 PM »
Do what most of us do and buy everything and try it and sell them until you find what you like! 

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 30, 2014, 04:32 PM »

full lolz right here.

Offline Duncan77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 30, 2014, 05:04 PM »
If you have a Cabela's  close to you. I would go there and buy one  if you don't like it return it and buy the other one.  you have 90 days to return it, no questions asked. I had an employee at the Rogers MN Cabelas tell me that.
Don't try to change me, my wife said that's her job.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #19 on: Jan 30, 2014, 05:08 PM »
vexilar flx28.take it out of the box put the ducer in the water and fish with it.barely any adjustments and no updates to make.jmo.

Offline bigbuckmiddaugh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 30, 2014, 05:11 PM »
what ever ice's your boat

Offline Da_Roc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez! Ya hve to hunt them to catch em
« Reply #21 on: Jan 31, 2014, 01:55 PM »
HI Gang,
  I am a marcum guy.  Until they made the high tec high priced units and put 90% of the ice fishers out of the price ballpark.  I would suggest a simple fl18 vex or a Marcum LX5tc or lx3tc.  Theres really no real world uses for any of those gadgets they put on there extra.  The FL18 vex is a really really nice unit.  But if you feel you have to pay alot more than do so.  I have a friend that is a crappie catching machine.  He always catches crappie.  His choice sonar.  Is a simple 14 year old fl8 on a blue box.  thats it for his technology.  Plus he uses glow lures exclusively now.  He said the old yealler flasher he has is as good as it gets.  Its simple and easy plus durable.  so if you have to spend $$$ big  money for what you think you need  your wrong.  Just about the time you buy one expensive thing they come out with more expensive stuff.  Just keep it simple and be happy fish often.   The companies that produce  big $$ machines dont last long.  but "hey" Iam just a low tec ice neck in a high tec world. I stole that quote if you must know.
  Tight lines,
  You cant go wrong with whatever sonar you buy as long as it is a vex or Marcun.
  Da-Roc

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #22 on: Jan 31, 2014, 01:59 PM »
HI Gang,
  I am a marcum guy.  Until they made the high tec high priced units and put 90% of the ice fishers out of the price ballpark.  I would suggest a simple fl18 vex or a Marcum LX5tc or lx3tc. ....You cant go wrong with whatever sonar you buy as long as it is a vex or Marcun.

completely agree here.   

For $699 I expected the lx-7 to feel like a professional tool, not look and feel like a toy.   They cost way way more than the newest ipad!

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 31, 2014, 04:19 PM »
an fl20 costs as much as a new ipad

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 31, 2014, 07:55 PM »
I will say lx7 for sure. Fine detail and great display. Also if you fish with others and share unit the 8" screen is cats meow. I have had no issues with it and it works every time I use it. last winter all spring, summer ,and fall in my boat and this year back on the ice. I love all the display options and light options. The vex has a way to go for me to even consider buying one over my Marcum. Best unit they made was fl18.
Fishin red lines

Offline roverman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Feb 02, 2014, 10:23 PM »
Lx7 by a mile, Flx 28 is nothing innovative, it isn't even a digital unit. With the Lx7 you can change the display so many more ways. There are many posts on these two do a search and I'm sure you'll find lots of info. I am sure you will like whichever you choose.

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #26 on: Feb 03, 2014, 09:33 AM »
Lx7 by a mile, Flx 28 is nothing innovative, it isn't even a digital unit. With the Lx7 you can change the display so many more ways. There are many posts on these two do a search and I'm sure you'll find lots of info. I am sure you will like whichever you choose.

Uhh, having the first brush-less flasher motor, the quietest and sharpest display of a mechanical flasher isn't innovative?

News flash, not everybody wants a digital flasher. I'm pretty sure humminbird and lowrance both made digital ice sonars before marcum did, so tell us again about how innovative they are.
"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

Offline Purple Floyd

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl.
« Reply #27 on: Feb 03, 2014, 04:49 PM »
Do you want to use the chart mode or the flasher mode? If you like the flasher then I would buy the Vex 28. I don't think there is a better traditional flasher available than that one.

If you like the graph mode then buy either  Lowrance or Humminbird sonar and us that as they have been doing them for a long time, have the technology down and you can get one that works with no fixes, no updates and no trouble and you can even use it on the boat in the summer if you have one.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Feb 03, 2014, 07:34 PM »
Do you want to use the chart mode or the flasher mode? If you like the flasher then I would buy the Vex 28. I don't think there is a better traditional flasher available than that one.

If you like the graph mode then buy either  Lowrance or Humminbird sonar and us that as they have been doing them for a long time, have the technology down and you can get one that works with no fixes, no updates and no trouble and you can even use it on the boat in the summer if you have one.

Even with bird a d Lowrance you still need to update them via downloads

Offline Purple Floyd

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl.
« Reply #29 on: Feb 03, 2014, 10:18 PM »

Even with bird a d Lowrance you still need to update them via downloads

That is a little misleading. They work right out of the box and updates are very rare. I seem to remember that you run Lowrance on your boat. How many times have you updated the Lowrance over the past 3 years to fix glitches compared to the number of downloads Marcum has issued over the same time period?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.