Mobile Site Follow Iceshanty at Twitter Iceshanty Facebook Page Iceshanty Youtube Channel
Ice Fishing Shanty
Home | ThinIce | Chat | Pictures | Archives | ProShop | Militia | Sponsors
Ice Fishing with Electronics board is sponsored by

MarCum
Oct 25, 2014, 04:04 PM
MyFishFinder.com
Just like iceshanty but warmer

Miss activation email? Check your spam folder! | Forgot password?

Author Topic: Marcum Lx-7 or Flx-28  (Read 2395 times)

Chevelle68327

• IceShanty Rookie

Marcum Lx-7 or Flx-28
« on: Jan 30, 2014, 06:55 AM »
Another ford vs Chevy post.  I am stuck between the 2. I send my ice 55 back and now looking for something else..

I like the idea of the Lx7 of having a digital flasher but I am also on the fence with how well will it hold up with the rough conditions on the ice and with the software issues..

The Flx-28 looks like it would be more durable on the ice. But the price comparison it feels like your over paying for a vexilar.

Most of my fishing will be in a shanty but some days I do fish outside and move around. I spent days looking through every post and video I can find on these 2 units and even spent 20minutes at cabelas staring at both. I am still on the fence, wish I could buy both but can't.

hnd

• Team IceShanty Addict

Re: Marcum Lx-7 or Flx-28
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30, 2014, 07:40 AM »
is there anyway you can find a way to use both on the ice?

Clam Nitinol Spring Bobbers are Junk - Don't Buy

mattstark44

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2014, 07:51 AM »
Go with the Vexilar unless you want to be messing with updates all the time.  I had the Marcum LX-7 and I could notice a small delay and didn't like it.

moneypit2

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2014, 07:55 AM »
my buddy was also on the fence last year and chose a fl 20, so this year after staring at my lx7 he bought the lx7 now the fl20 collects dust on the shelf.the lx7 will never get old with updating cant say the same for that flx28 i have seen them both in action and none of the vexilars do anything for me just my 2 cents
vexilars have a good place in a history book thats about it. its 2014 not 1989 they need to do something different already to justify that price

BassOn

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2014, 07:56 AM »
well i also buy the best so therefore i drive a chevy and own a marcum lx7...am very happy with both and never let me down.

moneypit2

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #5 on: Jan 30, 2014, 07:56 AM »
Go with the Vexilar unless you want to be messing with updates all the time.  I had the Marcum LX-7 and I could notice a small delay and didn't like it.
and theres no delay at all on mine or my buddys

Arcom

• IceShanty Rookie

« Reply #6 on: Jan 30, 2014, 08:10 AM »
what made you return the ice55? was it because of the digital read-out scan? and now you another digital flasher for an extra $100+. Should have stuck with the 55, but why dont you go for something like the lx5. Pretty much the same specs as the 55 other then its not digital and its in the same price range.

patapus

• IceShanty Rookie

« Reply #7 on: Jan 30, 2014, 08:19 AM »
I fished Devils Lake ND last weekend with a guide's FL28 because I forgot to charge my LX7... that lasted 20 min until i asked the guide if i could use his battery in mine.

Running the chart zoom mode on the LX7 makes it so easy to see fish and see multiple jigs or multiple fish.

Haven't noticed any delay with mine, and haven't had any update issues.

moneypit2

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #8 on: Jan 30, 2014, 08:21 AM »
I fished Devils Lake ND last weekend with a guide's FL28 because I forgot to charge my LX7... that lasted 20 min until i asked the guide if i could use his battery in mine.

Running the chart zoom mode on the LX7 makes it so easy to see fish and see multiple jigs or multiple fish.

Haven't noticed any delay with mine, and haven't had any update issues.
thats priceless right there he was prolly like huhh

Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac

• beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #9 on: Jan 30, 2014, 08:31 AM »
I use both on a regular basis and I believe the FLX-28 takes the cake. Mechanical flashers > digital for me any day.

In my experience the FLX-28 has a finer resolution, loses less bottom on steep incline or rocks, is lighter and more compact, better on battery.. I could go on.

You'll be happy with either, but good luck even finding an FLX-28. They've been sold out here since November.

D_wood

• IceShanty Rookie

« Reply #10 on: Jan 30, 2014, 08:33 AM »
I have the FL18 pro pack and love it! Just throwing that out there its a good option

bighof

• Team IceShanty Regular

• have you seen me walk on water????
« Reply #11 on: Jan 30, 2014, 09:08 AM »
I use both on a regular basis and I believe the FLX-28 takes the cake. Mechanical flashers > digital for me any day.

In my experience the FLX-28 has a finer resolution, loses less bottom on steep incline or rocks, is lighter and more compact, better on battery.. I could go on.

You'll be happy with either, but good luck even finding an FLX-28. They've been sold out here since November.

The amount of bottom you are losing has to do with the cone angle more than anything else.  I looked at both of the mentioned flashers and still thought the LX-5 gave me the best performance.  I was really looking for a reason to upgrade.... couldnt do it.  Out of the two I would go with the lx-7 though,  It all depends on what you are used to.  I do not like how all the lines run together on the vex.  I can put my lx5 or the lx7 on SFL and get amazing target separation.... I was not getting that on the flx-28.

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley."
.Author Unkno

brink

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #12 on: Jan 30, 2014, 10:48 AM »
I'm an LX7 kind of guy and don't notice any delay.  The target separation is great in my opinion. 
That's some tasty iced tea.

Chevelle68327

• IceShanty Rookie

« Reply #13 on: Jan 30, 2014, 12:27 PM »
I sent the ICE 55 back because of the readout and backlite flashing all the time either on fhe lake of in demo mode at home... I guess 75% of people say this is normal.. idk mine didnt start doing this after the first day out.. made me question quility..

The flx28 is still avai around here.

Smally22

• IceShanty Rookie

« Reply #14 on: Jan 30, 2014, 01:13 PM »
Got to be the LX-7.  Absolutely love the screen and optional layouts.  Very impressed
Keep Your Stick on the ICE!!!

Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Addict

« Reply #15 on: Jan 30, 2014, 02:03 PM »
This question is asked every other day.  The answer is there is no answer.  Your going to have the same arguments on both sides and both are good.  Study up and you decide unless you want to buy one of each.

DFresh75

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #16 on: Jan 30, 2014, 02:24 PM »
Do what most of us do and buy everything and try it and sell them until you find what you like! 

hnd

• Team IceShanty Addict

« Reply #17 on: Jan 30, 2014, 03:32 PM »

full lolz right here.
Clam Nitinol Spring Bobbers are Junk - Don't Buy

Duncan77

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #18 on: Jan 30, 2014, 04:04 PM »
If you have a Cabela's  close to you. I would go there and buy one  if you don't like it return it and buy the other one.  you have 90 days to return it, no questions asked. I had an employee at the Rogers MN Cabelas tell me that.
Don't try to change me, my wife said thats her job.

DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShanty Maniac

« Reply #19 on: Jan 30, 2014, 04:08 PM »
vexilar flx28.take it out of the box put the ducer in the water and fish with it.barely any adjustments and no updates to make.jmo.

Iceshanty.com sponsored in part by:
Marmish | FishUSA | Marcum | Fish307 | Jiffy | Gearcor | Frabill | FleetFarm | Lindy | Glens | Cabelas
Home | ThinIce | Chat | Pictures | Archives | ProShop | GearShop | Militia | Sponsors

Ice Fishing @ www.iceshanty.com Fishing @ www.myfishfinder.com Hunting @ www.myhuntingforum.com

Contact | Sponsor IceShanty.com | Disclaimer
©1996- IceShanty.com
All Rights Reserved