Author Topic: Bad Customer Service so I "Hacked" my Aqua Vu  (Read 13550 times)

Offline FishStoriesJR

• IceShanty Rookie
  • U.S. Navy Active Duty Photojournalist
Bad Customer Service so I "Hacked" my Aqua Vu
« on: Jan 28, 2014, 10:58 PM »
Well a while back, the monitor portion of my Aqua Vu Smart Vu camera got dunked in saltwater when a canoe I was in got rolled by a wave as we hit the beach. I knew it was toast even though it was only in for a few seconds.

I called during business hours, but got no answer so I left a message with Aqua Vu about what it would cost to replace the upper portion and included my contact info. Their phone message was at least two weeks behind (saying they would be closed on New Years even though it was Jan 15) they have still not returned my call nearly two weeks (8 full business days) later.

In the mean time I was eager to get out on the ice and figured I could do no harm to my toasted screen so I cut it open with my Dremel tool and got a handle on the wiring. I spent $32 for a 7" flatscreen LCD on Amazon, $40 for a bigger battery and repurposed an old empty Pelican Case I had laying around. My total investment was about $100 and here is what I ended up with.

The bigger 22ah battery is heavier, but I was carrying two 7ah batteries for a full day anyway and sometimes they wouldn't last. It is completely watertight when closed, has a screen twice as large as the original, three times the battery life and is still smaller than the original Aqua Vu soft case with a ton more protection. Plus, I can pull the screen out and mount it eye-level on a tripod if I wanted to - I haven't yet but might try it.

As an added bonus, the screen I got has the ability to flip the image so I can set the camera up in front of me facing back at the holes and not have to fish with my left hole on the right side of the screen etc.

I'd love to hear what you think of the modification.

Here's what it looks like:

Closed

Open

With sun shade that folds flat and fits inside

On a small tripod

Close up of the screen

Close up of the new control/connection panel - From the top: separate switches for power and lights, video out, monitor out and camera in

Good Luck & Good Fishing!

Jon

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
Re: Bad Customer Service so I "Hacked" my Aqua Vu
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2014, 11:08 PM »
Very nice!!! It is to funny I was just doing some searches on line to see what I needed to do to replace the monitor that died (with little luck). I came back to IS one last time before heading to bed and there it is!!! Does your camera have a 4 pin plug? And that are you using for your "new control/connection panel"?
Thanks and tight lines!!!

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2014, 11:11 PM »
You sly dog, FishStoriesJR.    Very nice wire twistin'.        ;)2

Jon, thank you for your service. 

Offline FishStoriesJR

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2014, 11:36 PM »
Idaho Gator - I have picked up some tricks over the years!  ;D  Glad to wear the uniform. If all goes well I will be settling down up that way north of Spokane, WA in a few years. Going to have to learn a whole new kind of ice fishing then.

stripernut - good timing indeed, glad I shared now. Mine is the four-pin plug. The connector is the only thing I reused from my old unit. I will see if I can get a pin-out and wiring diagram up before the weekend.

If you can do some basic soldering you can do this.

Here's the screen I got. There are several places that sell these on Amazon (all shipped from Amazon) and all for about $30.

http://www.amazon.com/Brand-Digital-Monitor-Remote-Stand/dp/B004Y3FE6O/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1390973350&sr=1-2&keywords=7+inch+lcd

Jon

Offline mricefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 29, 2014, 12:24 AM »
Great idea and looks like it will work well too.  I have a camera that I cant make work all it shows is a snow storm.  I should do this to make it useable again.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 2014, 05:39 AM »
Awesome hack FSJR! And very tidy work......I posted up earlier this season with the same problem/idea. Couldn't find anyone that had done it and due to a new job my tinkering time is at a premium.

I noticed the unit on Amazon has a voltage spec of 9v. Did you have to account for that or is 12 just making it happen? Additionally, I know you used the connectors from the original unit, how about any of the the other electronics from the head? I see the temp display actually works......... This is cool. I had just replaced my camera on an old Z series when the monitor went belly up.

Thanks for taking the point, I'll be doing this for sure!

/m
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline bhankes08

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 30, 2014, 06:37 AM »
Well done sir!

Offline FishStoriesJR

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 30, 2014, 04:11 PM »
Esox - 9v might be the minimum voltage required. The screens are made for in car DVD players and back-up cameras so they are for sure good on 12v.

No other electronics from the head everything in there only runs the CRT the rest is just switches and connectors. On my unit, the temp and direction comes from the small box glued to the cable spool which is where the Mode and C/F buttons are. I just cut that off the spool and attached it inside the cover of my case, you can see it at the bottom of the lid in one of the pics.

Jon

Offline FishStoriesJR

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 30, 2014, 04:15 PM »
MrIceFish - static can come from a few causes. I would recommend doing some testing on the unit to find the cause before going ahead with a new monitor.

Jon

Offline indeeptreble

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Every hour you fish adds an hour to your life!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 30, 2014, 05:53 PM »
Awesome you should be proud of that. now you have build a camera rotation system to finish it off

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 30, 2014, 07:53 PM »
FishStoriesJR, thanks for the info, I look forward to pin-out and wiring diagram!

Offline Nevada Ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 30, 2014, 08:18 PM »
First let me say "Thank You for your service". I am also intrested on the pin out of the plug, I'm thinking this mode is going to happen around here.
Les from Northern Nevada
I only walk on the water in the winter season!

Offline mricefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 30, 2014, 10:59 PM »
Ok yea I need to take a look at it.  it quit and I usually use the vex anyways but it was fun to have out in the perm. with the kids.  I do really like how yours packs right up no cords hanging out or anything.  looks like a really sturdy case too. 

Offline FishStoriesJR

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 31, 2014, 11:08 PM »
Ok, so here is the pinout for the camera connector.

The camera uses a single hot wire and separate grounds for the camera power and the lights.

I will have the wiring diagram I used up soon.

For anyone who does not think they have the skills or the time to give this a go, I can do this mod for you. If your camera portion was shipped to me, I feel I could do the whole thing for about $250. Sounds like a lot, but $100 would go to the Pelican Case and that would also include shipping it back to you. Give me a PM if you're interested.

Jon

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #14 on: Jan 31, 2014, 11:24 PM »
I was reluctant to ask that of you Jon, but, it was heavy on my mind, when I saw your first post here.      ;)2

Offline Gillgrabber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 02, 2014, 08:10 AM »
Outstanding job - very impressive.  I have to say that the ingenuity of the IS members and the home-made products they build always impress me.  We have some very creative guys on this site.
Proud NRA Life Member
Nothing like spending time in the outdoors with Family & Friends.

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #16 on: Feb 04, 2014, 03:52 PM »
Very well done! If it would have gone back to Aqua-Vu repairs you would have gotten a lot less back than you have now.
Nice job!!!!

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline FishStoriesJR

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 05, 2014, 08:31 PM »
Thanks guys. I have had it out a few times and have been very happy with the way it is now. Have not even come close to draining the big battery and have now added a USB jack off of the battery so I can charge my phone. No worries about running a avionics app while moving around. I even streamed music from my phone for about 4 hours last weekend and still walked off the lake with the phone at full charge.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Jon

Offline Iceboy89

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 21, 2014, 09:19 AM »
Love this idea.

Would you mind sharing the link or part name/number of the switch boxes? I am interested in making my own and would like to make it as clean looking as yours :D

Thanks

Offline FishStoriesJR

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 21, 2014, 11:19 AM »
They are project boxes from Radio Shack, about $4 each.

Jon

Offline FishStoriesJR

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 21, 2014, 11:21 AM »
Oh, and post up some pics when you're done! What kind of camera are you starting with?

Jon

Offline Iceboy89

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 21, 2014, 11:30 AM »
I'm doing everything from scratch pretty much. I ordered a board camera with a ultra-low light sensor which automatically adjusts frame rate based on light conditions. I also ordered a seperate low light wide angle lens for it. This way the camera will provide a much higher image quality and also not need any additional lighting. I ordered the same monitor as you from ebay. I am going to hook everything up via fuse block and switch inside the pelican case, as well as run a custom heavy gauge cooper wire with a length of at least 150'..all neatly tucked inside a pelican case.

If I can pull it off cleanly, I think I will have very good image quality without shelling out 500 bucks for a marcum.

Offline FishStoriesJR

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Feb 21, 2014, 10:52 PM »
Nice, can't wait to see how that comes out. not sure where the original Aqua-Vu or other cams call in regards to light sensitivity, but I can tell you that everyone agrees that having LEDs is worthless. All you get is backscatter from particles, even in clear water.

Jon

Offline Iceboy89

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 24, 2014, 10:39 AM »
Nice, can't wait to see how that comes out. not sure where the original Aqua-Vu or other cams call in regards to light sensitivity, but I can tell you that everyone agrees that having LEDs is worthless. All you get is backscatter from particles, even in clear water.

Most definitely. From a business standpoint they probably use the lowest quality components they can get away with. You are paying for the name and a pretty package, with most of the currently available units.

I saw a post from another board from somone who built their own camera with a similar but lower quality camera board than the one I ordered, who was able to capture lake trout in 95 FOW with amazing picture quality, using no LED's. This was on a lake with silty water, overcast day, and about 24: of cloudy ice.

For less money and some effort you can source much higher quality components and build your own. Plus, what current camera on the market comes bundled in a Pelican Case :p?

Offline pipeboy98

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Feb 25, 2014, 06:57 PM »
This one does...
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/1pcs-Lot-dfgdfgdigh-Resolution-SONY-CCD-Camera-Weatherproof-Camera-fish-finder/1174395430.html

And this one...
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/7-TFT-LCD-Underwater-camera-fishing-camera-20M-cable-1-3-Sony-CCD-10-pcs-LED/811619253.html

There are other cameras out there other than the big three...they just aren't displayed well and all are made in china.  I had the 360 deg panning model until the clear lense cracked, leaked then fried.  Worked well for 2 seasons right up till the end then not so much. 

Offline dakota

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 25, 2014, 07:04 PM »
Nice mods, job well done!
 Was a combat photographer in the U.S.M.C. in the early 90's. Home base: 29 palms, Ca.
What a great job, thanks for your service!
Semper Fi            ;IGY6
I stand for the flag, I kneel for the fallen

Offline Iceboy89

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 26, 2014, 03:21 PM »
This one does...
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/1pcs-Lot-dfgdfgdigh-Resolution-SONY-CCD-Camera-Weatherproof-Camera-fish-finder/1174395430.html

And this one...
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/7-TFT-LCD-Underwater-camera-fishing-camera-20M-cable-1-3-Sony-CCD-10-pcs-LED/811619253.html

There are other cameras out there other than the big three...they just aren't displayed well and all are made in china.  I had the 360 deg panning model until the clear lense cracked, leaked then fried.  Worked well for 2 seasons right up till the end then not so much.

The "pelican case" it these cameras come with is a cheaply made knockoff. They also have far less superior quality cameras, and a much shorter cable. I'm confident the one I'm building will surpass these two.

Offline FishStoriesJR

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Feb 26, 2014, 04:40 PM »
Very interesting, do you know how many lux your camera is? Or could you share a link?

Today I got an adapter to run my video out into my laptop to record. Hope to have something to share after the weekend. It actually records in better quality than the LCD screen displays.

As a side note, Aqua-vu has still not returned my call after almost six weeks. No loss on my part I guess.

Jon

Offline Iceboy89

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 26, 2014, 08:08 PM »
Very interesting, do you know how many lux your camera is? Or could you share a link?

Today I got an adapter to run my video out into my laptop to record. Hope to have something to share after the weekend. It actually records in better quality than the LCD screen displays.

As a side note, Aqua-vu has still not returned my call after almost six weeks. No loss on my part I guess.

Here is the exact camera I ordered. It is 0.001 Lux, which is pretty darn sensitive. It also has the "auto sense up" feature, which automatically adjusts (lowers) frame rate to varying light conditions, kind of like increasing shutter time to let more light in. I also ordered it with a different lens, a wide angle one to see more.

http://www.camera2000.com/en/600tvl-3d-dnr-d-wdr-board-cs-lens-mount-camera-osd-0-001-lux-starlight.html

Offline pipeboy98

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Feb 27, 2014, 09:25 PM »
I thought about building my own...but water proofing it becomes problematic...what's your plan for that?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.