The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Strikemaster 3HP Slow recoil  (Read 1198 times)

Offline AaronMN

• IceShanty Rookie
Strikemaster 3HP Slow recoil
« on: Jan 28, 2014, 05:28 PM »
I just purchased an older Strikemaster cobra.  The recoil rope is very slow to wind after a pull.  Are there any tips on how to correct?

Thanks.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Strikemaster 3HP Slow recoil
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2014, 06:47 PM »
Sounds like you need to take it off and re-grease it. But you can probably just spray it down with WD40 and have it work for the rest of the winter if you are not in super cold temperatures. Old gummed up grease is likely the culprit. If you do that, make sure you make it a summer project to take it apart and regrease it.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline delfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Catch and release 247
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2014, 06:55 PM »
If its a old auger It could also be the recoil spring is worn and should be replaced, try the oil first and if doesn't help or fix it  then if you are handy you can wind the spring tighter but be careful it is under tension, Look for it on Youtube, How to wind that spring on any motor it should be them same method
There's nothing better in life then being outside on a cold winter day hanging around with a bunch of icehole's

Offline hankthecrank

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Nothing better than DR PEPPER on shaved ice.
« Reply #3 on: Jan 29, 2014, 10:12 AM »
Just make sure you don't wind it so tight that the spring binds before the rope extends fully. Its much easier to replace the rope than the recoil spring.
DR PEPPER POWERED PIKE HUNTER

THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN FISHING AND CATCHING, IS ONE FISH.

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 29, 2014, 11:04 AM »
Take that cover off and clean and lube the dogs and also check the spring tension.  When the cover isoff and see how the rope returns on the spool if it is having issue still then look at the size rope being used.  Sometimes someone could have replaced the rope with a different dimension recoil rope and you might just need to go down one size. 

Offline AaronMN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 2014, 04:59 PM »
I did take it off a few days ago and sprayed it down.  It worked quite well when it was warm.  It has since dropped to below 0, and that really slows it down.  It sounds like I'll need to dig in there a bit more.

Many thanks.

Offline AaronMN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 29, 2014, 05:43 PM »
Do I need to take the silver cap off?  Any direction from here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Offline JimQ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 30, 2014, 10:51 AM »
Nooooooo.  It's not removable.

If you've cleaned it and still won't pull back in all the way, you're going to have to tighten the spring. 

Easy to do, tough to explain.

Pull the rope all the way out.  Continue rotating the pulley by hand another rotation while following the pulley with the rope. (You might find a small notch in the pulley to put the rope in to do this.)  Then, allow the rope to rewind on the pulley.

I wish I could articulate that more clearly for you but that's all I've got.

Q

Offline AaronMN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 30, 2014, 02:44 PM »
I tried that - when winding one turn past there was a "pop".  It operates slightly worse now.  There as to be some way to access the spring?  It seems like it is not functioning correctly.

Offline JimQ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 30, 2014, 03:15 PM »
Here's what you do.  Get yourself some Velcro, a roll of duct tape, a few rubber bands, and a pair of Vice Grips.... then start looking for a new recoil assembly.

I'm not saying it's impossible to fix what you have but it was not designed to be "serviceable".

Time for a new one.

Q

Offline AaronMN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 30, 2014, 06:52 PM »
I appreciate the help - new recoil ordered.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.