The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Nils to ION head adapter?  (Read 4566 times)

Trooper Bri

Nils to ION head adapter?
« on: Jan 28, 2014, 04:27 PM »
I currently own a 6" and 8" Nils, and have a chance to pick up a barely used ION for $100.

I poked around for a bit, and nothing popped up. Does anyone sell an adapter for these, or have a hillbilly method? I'm not going to buy the thing unless I know I can use them together. Got enough augers already.

Thanks!

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Nils to ION head adapter?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2014, 05:28 AM »
Find someone with a lathe and have him fix you up. Easy to do.
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline kc_

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • formerly known as ljc2tall, aka kc on mff
« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2014, 07:27 AM »
Nope it can't be done. You need to send me the info on the 100.00 ION. You have enough augers already. ;) ;)

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Jan 29, 2014, 07:33 AM »
Sounds to good to be true.. Careful its not stolen.. I would ask to see a receipt.
Receiving stolen property is very much illegal in many states.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline E Z turn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 29, 2014, 07:50 AM »
I have converted my 8 in Nils hand auger to my 3 hp Eskimo power head by welding two 1 inch thrust bearings to my motor shaft coupling. The bearings have a 3/8 hex head set screw that matched the hole in my Auger shaft. I did have to cut the Auger shaft down about 4 inches, because of the added height of the motor and the fact I'm built a little closer to the ground then most.
Oops! is too late.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 2014, 10:10 AM »
Bri,

The ION is an Eskimo, and Strikemaster augers will also fit it as they are all Artisam products. Done it on mine to confirm. I have seen NILS augers attached to Strikemaster powerheads with what looked like factory fittings, look for that adaptor.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Jan 29, 2014, 10:24 AM »
Bri,

The ION is an Eskimo, and Strikemaster augers will also fit it as they are all Artisam products. Done it on mine to confirm. I have seen NILS augers attached to Strikemaster powerheads with what looked like factory fittings, look for that adaptor.

Ion is not an eskimo. Ion is its own division of Ardisam who also makes eskimo.
Strikemaster is NOT Ardisam, it is Rapala. It uses a different sized bit and attachment bolt.
The Ion uses a different bit than the eskimo power augers, Ion bits will not attach to any other powerhead other than an Ion.
You can attach a Nils to an Ion with an adapter, it is not as simple as bolting it on.
Eskimo does NOT make any adapters to use other augers with their powerheads, nor does Ion.

So, to answer the OP's question. Yes you will be able to use a nils on an ion if you make an adapter to do so. You may also have to cut down the shaft of the Nils if you are not 6ft+ tall.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 29, 2014, 11:13 AM »
Thank you for clarifying ownership, my bad.

You and I are talking apples and oranges about the bits, the strikemaster lazer hand bit absolutely does fit on the ION, you simply need to use the respective bolt supplied on the auger to connect. I have done it and cut ice.

You are correct about the power bit as it has a larger receiver.

Best route may be to check out the icegator adaptors, they have a number of different ones.

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 29, 2014, 11:28 AM »

The Nils would require a adapter. Mine I cut off the Nils shaft about 2" down from the end and made a sleeve .875"O.D. x
18mm I.D. the sleeve fits in the Nils shaft. It cuts well. If you have a good imagination it cuts better than a Strikemaster Lazer. NOT
Leave Some For Seed

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Jan 29, 2014, 11:46 AM »
The Nils would require a adapter. Mine I cut off the Nils shaft about 2" down from the end and made a sleeve .875"O.D. x
18mm I.D. the sleeve fits in the Nils shaft. It cuts well. If you have a good imagination it cuts better than a Strikemaster Lazer. NOT

Indeed, if your using the Ion and want to add a hand auger to it. Just use the lazer. Dont hack up your $150 Nils.

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 29, 2014, 02:04 PM »
The Nils modified to fit the Ion. Also shown is the Nils on a Milwaukee motor.
The offset Strikemaster handle goes right on in place of either motor.

[/URL[URL=http://s751.photobucket.com/user/frs578/media/IMG_1013_zps5a530d32.jpg.html]
Leave Some For Seed

Trooper Bri

« Reply #11 on: Jan 29, 2014, 06:00 PM »
The ION deal is legit. It was posted on a classifieds board at a F&G club I fished last weekend. Just want to see what kind of headache I'm in for before I buy. Haven't even contacted the seller yet.

Not ready to chop both my Nils just for power. That kills a lot of their resale value and practicality. CT is good for hand drilling early and late season. Nor do I have access to a machine shop anymore. Maybe 10 years ago.  :(  Suppose I could inquire on my local board. Maybe someone in my area has a shop.

Was hoping someone was making a specific adapter by now (I'm about 6'4" in my boots BTW). I'd have to buy the auger, take measurements and hope an existing one somewhere fits, or then seek a shop. Sigh.....   At least there's cool info going around in the thread.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Jan 29, 2014, 09:53 PM »
At least buy the auger. If it doesn't work out, you can sell it easily on here for $300+
EYECONICFISHING

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Jan 30, 2014, 04:51 AM »
The ION deal is legit. It was posted on a classifieds board at a F&G club I fished last weekend. Just want to see what kind of headache I'm in for before I buy. Haven't even contacted the seller yet.

I cant imagine someone would pay $500 for an auger last year, and then sell it for $100 a year later..

Hell its still under its two year warranty. If there is an issue with it he could have it replaced..

Offline Dmo178966

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 07, 2014, 04:26 PM »
Quick question..... I'm new to this....very new.  I have a hand crank 8 inch Nihls.  Damn thing was taking me 25 minutes to get through 9 inches of ice.  Also let it be known that this auger was a hand me down from the brother in law.  So the first plan was to go to home depot to get a homemade fix... Was thinking about more speed.  I was going to take copper piping, go over the handle drill the holes and then solder a socket into the other end that fits the cordless drill.  It sounds ghetto but I was getting desperate.  So my partner at work turned me onto this forum..... (great site by the way).  I found an authorized sharpener in Ashby, MA who only charged me $25 to sharpen and reshape the blade.  I'm taking the kids and wife out tomorrow to try it out.  Most of you guys know how thick the ice can be in Northern NY this time of year.  So back to the original question.... will this ghetto fix work?  Is the copper strong enough to survive the torque of an 18v cordless drill?  Will the solder / socket idea work?   

Offline kc_

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • formerly known as ljc2tall, aka kc on mff
« Reply #16 on: Feb 07, 2014, 07:04 PM »
do a search for DIY auger adapter.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.