New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Cassadaga Lake  (Read 7122 times)

Offline kevinxx801

• IceShanty Rookie
Cassadaga Lake
« on: Jan 28, 2014, 10:03 AM »
Hey Everyone, I'm new to ice shanty. Was just wondering if anyone from WNY has fished Cassadaga Lake at all this winter. If so any reports on ice or any recommendations on where to go on the lake? Thanks in advance.

Offline dml78

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Cassadaga Lake
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2014, 10:28 AM »
For some reason I never see to many people fishing it when I'm driving by going to Chautauqua.

Offline FishnChef

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2014, 10:35 AM »
between the usual snow cover, springs, and current it's a very sketchy set of  lakes to fish Thru the ice.I've tried to fish these lakes twice and never really felt comfortable. You can't take a step without first spudding it so in my opinion not really worth it. Only 1 real access site too

Offline Postletown

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Working to afford bait!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2014, 10:43 AM »
There is access at the DEC launch on the middle lake, but in my experience the entire middle lake is a waste to fish in the winter.  I heard it has something to do with the oxygen levels in the lake and the fish don't go in there too much.  In the past I have parked in Lily Dale and walked off the beach.  I have been on these lakes many times without any problems with the ice, but yes there are springs and creeks that come in you just have to know where they are.  There is one on Dale drive by the little island with an old cabin on it, Cassadaga creek is another one on the bridge on Maple and there is also one on the upper lake between camp gross and lily dale.  A lot of the lake is private access, but im sure you can find a friendly landowner that would let you use their property to access it.   
-Chris

Offline kevinxx801

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 2014, 10:47 AM »
Thanks guys. When you go out of lily dale what do you usually fish for? i've read a few posts from a few years back and it seemed like the tiger musky fishing was pretty good.

Offline Postletown

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2014, 10:52 AM »
Yeah they stock the lake with Tigers, there are plenty in there.  I never really fished for them through the ice, but when I am fishing for panfish I see some giants on the camera swimming through.
-Chris

Offline kevinxx801

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2014, 10:55 AM »
And when you go out of lily dale that is the upper lake correct?

Offline Postletown

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2014, 10:58 AM »
Correct
-Chris

Offline Postletown

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 28, 2014, 11:49 AM »
Kevin, I sent you a PM
-Chris

Offline bryantukkah

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 28, 2014, 11:59 AM »
Yeah they stock the lake with Tigers, there are plenty in there.  I never really fished for them through the ice, but when I am fishing for panfish I see some giants on the camera swimming through.

THIS IS INCORRECT!!!  THERE ARE NO TIGERS IN CASSADAGA!!!  They are all pure chautauqua strain muskies!  The fish do have vertical patterned markings on them but for sure they are not tigers and the season is CLOSED.  The dec uses these lakes for brood stocking pure strain muskies in all of ny state waters including Chautauqua lake.  Look at the pics from the past..... They are all pure strain fish.  You will be ticketed and fined if an officer sees you fishing for them.

Offline Postletown

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 28, 2014, 12:01 PM »
Ok, my mistake, thanks for clearning that up.  That is what I was told, I guess I should've done more research and good thing I haven't tried fishing for them since the tiger season is open, but the pure strain is not. 
-Chris

Offline Postletown

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 28, 2014, 12:09 PM »
I agree now that tigers are not stocked in there, but if Northern Pike produce naturally and there are pure strain Muskellunge, then why wouldn't there be a possibility that Tigers exist in the lake? Not challenging you, just honestly wondering...
-Chris

Offline bryantukkah

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 28, 2014, 12:34 PM »
It is theoretically possible.... But so is a natural muskie spawn which doesn't exist in these waters either.  I have fished this lake for muskies quite a bit and have never seen a tiger amongst many many fish.  Yet I have seen numerous photos of guys showing off their "tiger muskie" from cassadaga and bear that were undoubtably pure strain fish.  In my opinion if someone is fishing for "tigers" on these waters they're going to catch pure strain fish exclusively and shouldnt do it and should get ticketed and fined.  People should remember that the entire stocking program for Chautauqua lake and others in nys in recent past has come from large females taken only from here.  Lets do the right thing and not encourage people to be fishing for Esox through the ice here.  Thanks guys.

Offline FishnChef

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 28, 2014, 12:39 PM »
x2

Offline Postletown

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 28, 2014, 12:59 PM »
I totally understand that and I agree.
-Chris

Offline kevinxx801

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 28, 2014, 01:02 PM »
Thanks guys. Definitely will not be fishing for the muskies considering the importance they have for the stocking of other lakes. Thanks for the info.

Offline dml78

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 28, 2014, 01:03 PM »
Any walleye in there??

Offline pikeHunter10

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 28, 2014, 01:26 PM »
I believe the only lake in wny stocked with tigers is lime lake, oh, and I believe conesius has them as well.

Offline bryantukkah

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 28, 2014, 04:20 PM »
I believe the only lake in wny stocked with tigers is lime lake, oh, and I believe conesius has them as well.

You are correct my friend.

Offline bryantukkah

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 28, 2014, 04:23 PM »
You are correct my friend.

Correction... Findley lake is also stocked with tiger muskie.

Offline NY_labman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 28, 2014, 06:22 PM »
According to the DEC website, Findley Lake was stocked with 1450 musky (9 inches) in 2012.  I haven't caught any of them.  It doesn't say anything about Tiger Muskys.

Offline jcz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 29, 2014, 02:26 PM »
DEC has stocked walleye the past few years here. Don't know if anyone catches them?

Offline Postletown

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 30, 2014, 08:34 AM »
I called the DEC last year regarding walleye, according to him the chances of hooking into one are very slim.  They have not seen many when they've done their netting.  A few years ago I do remember reports of people getting a few though.  I fish the lakes quite often and have never ran into any, but then again I don't target them here.
-Chris

Offline Drew99

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 01, 2014, 06:15 PM »
I'm heading out there Monday taking a couple peopl who have never been out on the ice before one of which is my 12 year old sister.I fish there in the summer but I haven't been out on the ice there in about 10 years which lake would give me the best chance to catch some fish

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 01, 2014, 06:30 PM »
There are no doubt tiger muskies in the cassadaga lakes I spoke with paul mckeown region 9 dec director (maybe) not sure of his title, but I sent a picture of the fish I was catching and he no doubt told me that is what I was catching and  the lakes have a lot of them. As far as the pure strain muskies I spoke to the guys netting them the last couple of years they are taking them out to breed and stock FROM cassadaga to chautauqua. In the process they were stocking the lake (kind of a trade-off) with walleye adults and fry, which I watched them do. My talks with the DEC guy were about 7-8 years ago in regards to my musky ID question so it is possible the program has ended, but I caught tigers for sure last year through the ice. Walleyes are caught once in a while , none by me, but my friend got one that was 30" on a fly last spring. These lakes are very tough ice fishing, but there are very good numbers and some seriously huge crappies. There are walleyes, tigers , and on the very rare occasion pike in these lakes. I can walk to my spot on the lily dale lake in less than ten minutes from my computer chair and I still drive 20-30 minutes to fish elsewhere...

Offline braz315

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Feb 01, 2014, 09:09 PM »
There are tigers in cassadaga caught one last spring

Offline navychief

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Feb 02, 2014, 06:31 AM »
I know where the DEC ramp is on the lower lake but how can I access the upper lake?

Offline Postletown

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 02, 2014, 07:58 AM »
I am glad I am not the only one who believes there are tigers in Cassadaga Lakes.  That other guy made me doubt myself and was pretty bold with his statements.  Oh well. 

-Chris

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Feb 02, 2014, 09:34 AM »
Chris , I am just telling what I have seen and been told by reliable sources. As far as the walleyes I have yet to see any but there is a guy who fishes these lakes alot who says he catches them fairly regular. First few years I lived here we would easily catch 100+ crappie a day  (group of 4-5) probably 1:3 keeper to non-keeper ratio, but the numbers were there. In the spring we catch tons of them mostly small, but some keepers as well as some serious slabs. I know they are here. I wasnt trying to be argumentative sorry if I came across that way , just trying to let people know what I have found out living basically on the lake. I say if you want to find out if there are tigers here set some tip-ups in the weeds and along the weedlines with big bait. The cabin on an island off dale dr is a decent place to hook into them . Also off the beach in lily dale has been good to me. Tiger muskies taste like crap but sure make a nice picture. I may go out for a couple hours with the kids maybe get a picture...

Offline bryantukkah

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 02, 2014, 11:51 AM »
I would love to see a picture of a hybrid tiger muskie taken from these lakes.  Please please please show me.  Every pic ive ever seen it has been brutally obvious to me that they are pure strain fish.  The problem is that 9 out of ten people really don't know how to properly identify fish species in the first place.  These fish have vertical markings just like chautauqua fish and people often get them confused because thats the only thing they know to look for.  if you look at the jaw lines, or the tail and fin shapes or the gill plates there isnt even a question.  Go on a muskie forum on the Internet here and there are guys all the time asking if what they caught was a tiger or not.  Even guys that are "dedicated" muskie guys don't even know all the time.  I would bet my left arm nobody can show me a picture of anything but a pure strain fish from cassadaga lake.  Please don't encourage people to fish for them out of season here.  I'm not being a bully or trying to push some garbage on you guys, it's the truth.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.