Author Topic: How thick does the ice have to be before you'll drive your truck on it?  (Read 23289 times)

Offline NodakBuckeye

• IceShanty Rookie
The last day I got out on Sakakawea last March I almost bottomed the Jiffy on the ice before I punched through.  There was still no way I was gonna drive the truck out.  I have neither the stones to do it nor the wallet to cover it should I go through. Maybe after another season or 2 up here I will.

Offline nwifisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Saw a couple f250s out in NESD last week on 10-13" of ice with small spots less then 10". Lots of regular full size trucks out also. I drove the atv out. Guess only south dakotans have enough cajones to drive on thin ice.

Offline jabers69

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
I like to have 12 to 13 inches for my dodge
hook and cook

Offline sincityrednek

• Team IceShanty Addict
F350 diesel crew cab here, so about 18" before I'm comfy.
I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline Redneck Fishfinder

• Team IceShanty Addict
And you do drive comfortably on 18 inches of ice? That makes me more willing to do it!

Offline sincityrednek

• Team IceShanty Addict
18" of GOOD ice on lakes I know, I'm comfortable.
I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline coldazice

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I'd rather be fishing
10" of solid blue ice can hold a 3500 series truck. But just one in the location , not groups of them. Keep in mind most importantly that white ice has half the bearing capacity of blue ice so if it takes 10 inches of blue ice you'd need 20" of white ice or a more likely combination of 6" blue ice and 8" of white ice. 14-18" ice definitely a safe drive on range.
TEAM Saskatchewan: Yes, we have ice in December!.

Offline Cotacatchers

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • No Bad Day on Ice
When I was younger (did it once) 10", now a little older(maybe wiser) don't think till its 20" plus if ever!

Same but high side 18-20"

Offline mricefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
Diesel one ton 4 door, like 18 inches of good ice think that truck is about 8000 lb   
the 3/4 ton gas weight I think 6000 I wait till it is about the same 18 just to be safe, but have had it out on 10inces of good ice but was not all that comfy with it.  after that I got a 4 wheeler and use that till I feel it is good to go for the truck.  After 18 inches I feel good with any of the trucks/suburban and the perm behind it.

Offline mattthehairy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • There's a beverage here man!
On the way up to Maine a couple seasons ago my friends and I were talking about how crazy we thought it was to drive a truck out on the ice, even if the ice was more than a foot. We had a long drive and along the way riffed on things we'd seen and heard about with folks putting their cars and trucks through the ice. We all agreed we'd pretty much never drive out on the ice around here.

Fast forward about two hours.

We'd trudged through 5 or so inches of snow for about 3/4 of a mile to get to our spot and had been fishing a while when my buddy's auger dies and he confesses that he forgot the gas can in his car. He and I made the long walk back to retrieve the gas. Along the way we saw many cars, snowmobiles, and atvs parked in one area and driving around. There was an easy 24" of ice.

I ate my words from the morning, fired up the truck and drove it out on the ice. In the beginning it was a little scary, but everything went without incident. I'd drive out on 20" of quality ice again, provided the distance I needed to go to the fishing spot was far enough out to warrant it.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." - Calvin Coolidge

' \
                                 '   \
                                 '     \@
                                 '       \\
             --------------( ' )---------------
                                 '
                   ><:>      '     <:::><
                                 '
                   ><:::>   *

Offline Knife2sharp

• Team IceShanty Regular
I got this from the farmers almanac.  I'm generally fine driving on a lake if I see other vehicles and houses already on the lake and when the ice is at least 10" thick consistently. I currently own a half ton truck. 

From the almanac:
3"    - one person on foot
4"    - group in single file
7.5" - passenger car (2 ton gross)
8"    - light truck (2.5 ton gross)
10"  - medium truck (3.5 ton gross)
12"  - heavy truck (8 ton gross)
15"  - ten tons
20"  - 25 tons
30"  - 70 tons
36"  - 110 tons

This is for solid, clear, blue/black lake or pond ice. Slush ice has half the strength of clear ice and river ice is 15% less. 
I don't post on IceShanty often, but when I do - #Legendary

Offline burck17

• Team IceShanty Regular
I won't take my ranger on any less than 16 inches

Offline Knoodles

• Team IceShanty Addict
I got this from the farmers almanac.  I'm generally fine driving on a lake if I see other vehicles and houses already on the lake and when the ice is at least 10" thick consistently. I currently own a half ton truck. 

From the almanac:
3"    - one person on foot
4"    - group in single file
7.5" - passenger car (2 ton gross)
8"    - light truck (2.5 ton gross)
10"  - medium truck (3.5 ton gross)
12"  - heavy truck (8 ton gross)
15"  - ten tons
20"  - 25 tons
30"  - 70 tons
36"  - 110 tons

This is for solid, clear, blue/black lake or pond ice. Slush ice has half the strength of clear ice and river ice is 15% less.

Not too far down the road in WI here.  I like you have very little fear of good solid ice.  We have cities develop in small areas on our local lakes.  I am always curious how much weight is in a small area when there are 20 permanents and 15 trucks surrounding them.  This shows the sheer strength of good ice.  I will say though you have much bigger cahoonas than I driving your rig on 10".  You wont catch me on less than 12".  I know good solid ice can hold a huge amount of weight so it is whatever you are comfortable with.  The part that scares me about less than 12" is uneven freezing.  When on 12" you may hit a 10" spot somewhere and be ok.  On 10" I would be worried about running into an 8" spot.   

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
Thicker than this:

Last weekend In SE WI....... ???
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline burck17

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thicker than this:

Last weekend In SE WI....... ???

That's the worst is when you see parking lots form on the ice. I know if anyone parks within 30 FT of my truck they will get an earful regardless of how thick the ice is, but I don't really fish the community holes, so if anyone invades my space they are being a rude in general as well.

Offline aj454

• Team IceShanty Addict
NEVER THICK ENOUGH FOR ME.  ::) ::) ::) :cookoo:

Offline putback

• Team IceShanty Regular
Use the 12 pac guide. Full, you need a foot, half gone six inches, empty you can probably hydroplane out. Use 12 ouncers, 16s screw it all up!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.