Mobile Site Follow Iceshanty at Twitter Iceshanty Facebook Page Iceshanty Youtube Channel

Home | ThinIce | Chat | Pictures | Archives | ProShop | Militia | Sponsors
Iceshanty.com sponsored in part by:
FishUSA | Marcum | Fish307 | KTP | Cabelas | CJS | PolarBird | AcmeTackle
Sep 25, 2017, 09:04 PM
Team Iceshanty Mock T's
Full chest logo/iceshanty.com printed down the sleeve.
Iceshanty Proshop

Author Topic: How thick does the ice have to be before you'll drive your truck on it?  (Read 7719 times)

Redneck Fishfinder

• Team IceShanty Regular

I mean there are charts that say what is safe but we all have our own comfort zones based on our own experiences. With temperatures being so cold this winter I'll probably be driving out on it sometime this winter and I'm wondering what people's personal opinions are.

Locoman

• Team IceShanty Regular

one hundred sowsand feet.......
><> I was born to be a FISHERMAN !!!! <><

JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Regular

I go by the charts & still check the ice. the most important thing to remember is not to park too close to other vehicles. I always get a chuckle out of the groups of vehicles that park close to shore like they would in a parking lot..... eventually something's gonna give. I've seen rows of vehicles half wet in the shallows.

Redneck Fishfinder

• Team IceShanty Regular

I am certainly not planning on making a parking lot on the ice! I'm thinking 18 inches of clear ice should be enough to support an f250 based on the charts but I wanted to hear some people's personal opinions. Do pressure cracks weaken the ice enough to make a difference in its weight bearing ability?

Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac

• When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
When I was younger (did it once) 10", now a little older(maybe wiser) don't think till its 20" plus if ever!

esox_xtm

• Team IceShanty Maniac

• It's Showtime!
This part of the country an even foot is pretty much license to drive. I've seen others (and been) out on about 8" of crystal clear, nary a bubble or crack. Of course, I've done my own checking and don't do that as a rule. Also seen the parking lots, literally door to door on as little as 12-13".

That said, assume all others are idiots, check your own path and parking and always err on the side of caution.....

/m
Not fish? Not an option!

"Life's too short to worry, life's too long to wait..."

allthumbs

• Team IceShanty Regular

I would say to ask your insurance agent how thick he or she thinks it should b lol

Terasec

• Team IceShanty Regular

Depends on whose vehicle?
Yours? I may take it out on +18"
Mine? Never

Long island? As in long island ny?

Knoodles

• Team IceShanty Addict

good solid ice can hold tons of weight.  Here in Wisconsin it is not uncommon to see communities of shacks, 40 or so, surrounded by 20 trucks.  I drove my 1/2 ton on 11 inches this year but ended up backing off from where we intended to fish as the reality of sinking my rig set in.  There were trucks much further out on the lake but I went with the better safe than sorry gig.  If you have consistent and good ice, 12 inches will easily hold a 1/2 ton truck.  We generally use 12" as go time.  We have vehicles go down in Wisconsin but it is generally a result of people not knowing the bad spots on lakes.   Right now we have 30" of ice on most lakes...........it has been quite a winter.

beavercreekoutdoors

• Team IceShanty Regular

I'm real comfortable on 18"

Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Does full coverage insurance cover if it goes in??

Knoodles

• Team IceShanty Addict

I am certainly not planning on making a parking lot on the ice! I'm thinking 18 inches of clear ice should be enough to support an f250 based on the charts but I wanted to hear some people's personal opinions. Do pressure cracks weaken the ice enough to make a difference in its weight bearing ability?

We don't deal with pressure ridges on the lakes I fish in WI.  we do fish lake of the woods and they are common.  They put bridges over these and we drive right over.  Some people drive right up next to them and drop portables down.  Although I don't know the science, experience tells me the pressure ridge will not weaken the ice. 

Knoodles

• Team IceShanty Addict

Does full coverage insurance cover if it goes in??

I asked this specifically...they responded...if the ice is considered safe it is covered.  They did not however define what they consider safe.  they do not cover recovery which can be upwards of 10 grand.  They told me my truck would be covered if I put it through and one could reasonably assume the ice was safe.  Thankfully I have never had to test this policy. 

Whopper Stopper

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic

I asked this specifically...they responded...if the ice is considered safe it is covered.  They did not however define what they consider safe.  they do not cover recovery which can be upwards of 10 grand.  They told me my truck would be covered if I put it through and one could reasonably assume the ice was safe.  Thankfully I have never had to test this policy.

I also asked my agent and the answer I got was "yes you do have some coverage, a lot of it depends"

Great answer!

WS

maddogg

• Team IceShanty Regular

Here is what my Dad told me.
Good Ice will hold:
2'' two men
4'' a team of horses
8'' a locomotive
His truck 12"

Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Maddogg does your dad sell insurance??

UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Must have full coverage. Make sure you have plenty of comprehensive coverage.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Redneck Fishfinder

• Team IceShanty Regular

Depends on whose vehicle?
Yours? I may take it out on +18"
Mine? Never

Long island? As in long island ny?

That's where I live but it's not where I ice fish! I certainly don't plan on driving my truck out on anything in LI.

From what I'm getting, if there is 18" of clear ice or more I should be ok. I guess we'll see! I know my lakes pretty well and I know what lakes not to trust. I have a good insurance policy and if it goes through on 20" of ice (which I doubt would happen) I'm probably covered. I'll just drive with the windows open!

32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Regular

About a foot of real good ice and I'll drive on it with my truck.  That means good clear ice, no snow, no weird freezes (i.e. wind breaking it apart and refreezing it).  If there's snow it adds a new element.  The lake itself determines when I'll drive on it as well.  Two lakes not far from my parents house in Wisconsin and one has over 2 feet of ice and the other has just over a foot.  They are about 5 miles away from one another.  Different bodies of water have different characteristics. 

The thinnest ice I've driven on was 4 inches in a small car.  It was good ice but it was a bit nuts on our part.   

Wyo-Fisher

• IceShanty Rookie

My grandpa always said these were his standards
2"= man
4"= 4wheeler
8"=pickup
12"=18 wheeler,

For me it's
+4"= man
+12"=4wheeler/snowmachine
Lake frozen solid=pickup ;D

Iceshanty.com sponsored in part by:
FishUSA | Marcum | Fish307 | Cabelas | CJS | PolarBird AcmeTackle
Home | ThinIce | Chat | Pictures | Archives | ProShop | GearShop | Militia | Sponsors

Ice Fishing @ www.iceshanty.com Fishing @ www.myfishfinder.com Hunting @ www.myhuntingforum.com

Contact | Sponsor IceShanty.com | Disclaimer
©1996- IceShanty.com
All Rights Reserved