The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: DIY auger blade sharpening?  (Read 7410 times)

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
DIY auger blade sharpening?
« on: Jan 25, 2014, 02:14 PM »
We got some tough ice out here, well not really the stuff is full of sand from out light breezes we get.   

No matter how well you look you end up hitting some sand which will destroy a set of blades.  So I am on the hunt at trying to learn this myself.   I found this on IS on how to touch them up but I have a set which is really in need of some help and metal has to come off to get the edge back on the ice.  What is the best way to do so?

They are Eskimo 10" blades for a Z71.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=18854.0
Don

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
Re: DIY auger blade sharpening?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2014, 03:12 PM »
Here's how I've done mine from day one...Get a hard (white) Arkansas 4" stone and some good honing oil. (Gun oil works too) Oil FLAT side of blade. Lay flat side on stone. "Sweep" stone from front of cutting edge to back of blade in a semi-circular motion. ( I have chipper style, Quantum's), repeat three or four times, then check blades, repeating as necessary. Do NOT attempt to do this on the angled part of the blade. If you do this from day one with new blades, you'll maintain proper angle and edge. Impossible to re-set angle this way if your blades are really dull or chewed up, get a new set, then follow the procedure. I know a lot of us do it this way... and it helps if you've been doing it for 30 years with knives too.  ;D

“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2014, 03:45 PM »
ya, this set is pretty beat up.   The set on the auger now has less than 20 holes on them and they need some helping as well.  I have bought 2 sets this year.  It's cutting into the bait budget. 
Don

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2014, 04:38 PM »
ya, this set is pretty beat up.   The set on the auger now has less than 20 holes on them and they need some helping as well.  I have bought 2 sets this year.  It's cutting into the bait budget.

I think the ol' swap and exchange program is best then...!!
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline TeeBugg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2014, 04:54 PM »
I think the ol' swap and exchange program is best then...!!

X2!
"Quit whining and go fishing!"

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Jan 25, 2014, 05:12 PM »
If they are pretty beat up (chips and chunks taken out) then they won't exchange them (fish307). If they are just dull then they will take them as long as they are not rusted to heck. If they are rusted then they will just resharpen them, but not exchange.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 25, 2014, 05:14 PM »
no chunks, just looks like some one tried to sharpen the bottom side of them instead of the top.  if 307 is going to be that picky, maybe I will look into trying this set myself.  can't loose nothing on them.  :D
Don

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2014, 05:25 PM »
In the recent past, Dags bait & Sebago bait, both sponsors in Maine offered free sharpening for $5.00 postage.    ;)2

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 25, 2014, 08:19 PM »
Chipper blade works alot better on dirty ice than shaver blades....

Offline rlvb

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The fishie says "Why you looking at me like that?"
« Reply #9 on: Jan 25, 2014, 09:44 PM »
My Jiffy really needed some help this year as I've had to really put some weight on it.I took the blade off and clamped it with a vise grip then clamped the vise grip in a bench vise. Put a small grit sanding wheel in my 4.5 in hand grinder.I sharpened this way,and holy cow does this thing cut thru now. You'd never believe this was the same auger.Gotta know what your doing,alittle common sense goes a long way..
born to fish---forced to work

Offline hesseltine32

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yelling at the fish on my screen
« Reply #10 on: Jan 26, 2014, 07:35 AM »
What is the angle ?  If it's not extremely far old from a knife I pretty sure the blades would fit in the vise you get with knife sharpening kits. Mine only goes out to 30%

Offline trouthunter

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Trout thru the ice are nice!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 26, 2014, 11:52 AM »
if the blades are beat up, you can use a flat file to rough sharpen them. use the stone to clean them up after, ditto on sharpening the flat side only and don't forget to sharpen the center point as it is pretty critical to reducing the pressure needed to drill

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 26, 2014, 05:50 PM »
Found this today while doing endless searching.  They say to never touch the bottom?

http://setthehook.com/icefishing/bladesharpening/index.html
Don

Offline defish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 26, 2014, 07:48 PM »
Hi Jopes

The link you posted has a lot of good info.  I was a tool & diemaker for 12 years, and while I haven't sharpened auger blades (yet) I have sharpened countless tools and agree that you do NOT want to stone the bottom of the blade enough to try to sharpen it.

If the blades are really bad, rough sharpen them with a file or a bench grinder - cutting TOWARD (into) the cutting edge.  The natural inclination is to sharpen down the slope to the edge, but that throws a big burr which will break off leaving a dull edge.  As was suggested, finish sharpening with an oil stone.  If you can feel a burr on the blade take a fine stone laying FLAT on the blade and lightly hone it off stroking toward (into) the cutting edge.

Good luck, and let us know how they turn out.

P.S. We pm'ed some last year on walleyecentral about making spoons, and I finally sent you the info for making your own wire forms a couple weeks ago.

Offline slabhappy56

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Work is for people who don't FISH.
« Reply #14 on: Jan 27, 2014, 08:16 AM »
That makes a lot of sense..I used 1000 grit wet sandpaper and finished with 4000 going around the bevel in a semicircle,Used this also to polish the underside a little..No Burr at all,and shaving sharp.
Having been away from ice fishing for a number of years, I now have the time to enjoy one of my favorite pastimes. I have enjoyed reading the posts from long time members and to read how you all help one another with no animosity between you.I am looking forward to chatting with you all...slabhappy.

Offline tfdoke

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 27, 2014, 08:32 AM »
Jopes, I have the exact same auger.  I just take the blades off one at a time, clamp then in a vise and then sharpen them with knife sharpening stones.  I start with the rough stone and work down to the fine stone just like I would sharpen a knife.  I ONLY sharpen the top side (beveled side) of the blade as the bottom needs to stay flat and at the correct angle.  I then just re-attach the blades and they are good to go.  Have done it half a dozen times and it works like a charm and never messes anything up...cuts SOOO much better after sharpening.

Just note that it is best to only take one off at a time and note the correct way to put them back on :)

Offline darkeyez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 27, 2014, 08:47 AM »
I sharpened a set of blades that wouldn't even begin to cut. They are on a Mora hand auger from a yard sale.
The instructions on how to sharpen blades were included with a set of NOS blades that I purchased.
I will look for those instructions, and get one of the young guys I fish with to post them. I do know it said to NEVER touch the bottom, and to sharpen them in a circular motion, in one direction only.
I tried this method, using a stone, and it cuts every bit as well as other hand augers with good blades on them.

Offline nite eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • That Sunsab Itch!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 27, 2014, 10:37 AM »
Here's the instructions courtesy of darkeyez...
TEAM ICEHOLES

Offline adipose

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT OTHERS THINK OF ME IS NONE OF MY BUSINESS
« Reply #18 on: Jan 27, 2014, 12:20 PM »
120 or150 grit on a belt sander. Place the belt sander upside down...in a vice if you can....blacken the angled area of the blade with sharpie or similar permanent marker. That way you will be able to see what you are taking off and at what angle. Once your angle is acheived, put downward pressure on the blade....a few seconds is all you need. After sharpening , stroke the blade back and forth with a piece of leather to break the burr back and forth till its gone. you will be left with a very sharp auger blade.

Offline Beets

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • If you don't like the way I fish,stay away from me
« Reply #19 on: Jan 27, 2014, 01:12 PM »
Diamond hone and Arkansas are the best IMO.
 LOOK>>>>> http://eze-lap.com/products/diamond-hone-stone/
....<°)))))>{
<°)))))>{
        <°)))))>{

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 28, 2014, 05:32 PM »

P.S. We pm'ed some last year on walleyecentral about making spoons, and I finally sent you the info for making your own wire forms a couple weeks ago.

I will have to check it out.  Not been on there in a while.

Alot of good info on blades.   
Don

Offline bobby1772

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 29, 2014, 10:10 PM »
ive been told even a file will do the trick not sure why it wouldn't

Offline jonny boy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 30, 2014, 08:53 AM »
slabhappy, your're in the wright site for ice fishing info. hang on for a great time spent on good info.

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 30, 2014, 04:57 PM »
I picked up a cheap belt sander to do the rough work.  Going to have to get some finer belts as the ones I got currently are far too course.  I took the set of blades where you could see the bottom side was no longer flat and sanded the top side back some to remove that.  The bottoms are now flat again to the point.  I then used a polishing wheel and compound on the dremel to really sharpen the leading edge.

I will have to see if they work, as right now if you lay them flat on your finger you can feel them grab your skin. 
Don

Offline adipose

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT OTHERS THINK OF ME IS NONE OF MY BUSINESS
« Reply #24 on: Jan 30, 2014, 05:19 PM »
you do understand that you are only taking off a minute amount of steel here. Not sure how bad your chunks missing are but you may have to shell out for new blades

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 30, 2014, 05:31 PM »
Already have new blades.  So if I am unable to get these to cut I am still fishing.  ;)
Don

Offline CA1492

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 30, 2014, 07:53 PM »
2x on the diamond Eze Lap sticks. 
~CA1492

Build a man a fire and he is warm for a day.
Light a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Offline bobby1772

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 31, 2014, 10:20 PM »
just ordered some jiffy blade sharpeners

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Feb 01, 2014, 09:13 PM »
Well I must have done something right.  The first set I tried cut the ice like a hot knife in butter. 

Can't wait till my finer grit sanding belts get here cause I am going to try sharpening a knife next.
Don

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #29 on: Feb 02, 2014, 08:28 AM »
thanks for the inspiration!
i'll give mine the work over too

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.