The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Jiffy Propane 4 stroke  (Read 1610 times)

Offline BigJigg

• IceShanty Rookie
Jiffy Propane 4 stroke
« on: Jan 23, 2014, 05:28 PM »
I have a new jiffy propane ice auger. Pretty happy so far. BUT... The throttle cable sticks wide open sometimes which is frustrating. Anyone have this problem with theirs or ideas?

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Jiffy Propane 4 stroke
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2014, 07:49 PM »
Are you certain the cable gets stuck? Cause mine will run WOT when it is running low on propane and/or very cold out,-20F. But if your cable is sticking maybe some snow got up in there and melts and freezes on occasion. Bring it in the house to let it thaw for a couple of days. If I lay my auger on the ice for any length of time and it is windy, I put some kind of bag over the power head so snow doesn't get blown into the recoil. Check the linkage, make sure nothing is getting hung up. Maybe put some lithium grease on the exposed portion of the cable, or tip up grease. Good luck.
It must be something in the water.

Offline x182dan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2014, 09:20 PM »
No problems yet I'm on my first season with the 8in pro lite.
Catch and Release!

Offline Kevin in maine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2014, 07:54 PM »
Lube the cable. if that doesn't work call jiffy. Could  be a frayed wire on the cable somewhere. Get it fixed and enjoy it. A buddy of mine has one and they are a great piece of equipment.

Offline Derik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2014, 08:26 PM »
My granddads would do that once in a while last year, not often enough to be an issue, always seemed to resolve itself after sitting in the garage for a night.  Figured it must be snow or ice making it stick somewhere.  It also only happened on days it was snowing a bit.

Offline er-e-is

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2014, 09:09 PM »
Call jiffy, for sure.

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2014, 09:16 PM »
got me one of those yellow jackets it stings the ice,starts right up thought I had above problem was  told its a high torque motor so it spins auger at idle touch it to ice and it stops they said it was normal.i agree its a small learning experience to get the power that thing tears into the ice hope it helps.
GOD bless
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline Eaglecrg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2014, 08:53 AM »
I'm going to be in the market for an auger next year and used a friend's propane jiffy that impressed me.  I have a question though about propane bottles freezing.  I do not use a shanty and so can't keep the bottles warm so I'm wondering if you have to worry about the bottles freezing up when it gets below a certain temperature.  I haven't read about this problem with the augers, but its apparently a significant problem with heaters used in shanty's.  Anyone have any issues with this?

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Jan 25, 2014, 09:45 AM »
got me one of those yellow jackets it stings the ice,starts right up thought I had above problem was  told its a high torque motor so it spins auger at idle touch it to ice and it stops they said it was normal.i agree its a small learning experience to get the power that thing tears into the ice hope it helps.
GOD bless
mo

Can you adjust your throttle cable? Should be 1/2 turn counter clockwise to stop it from spinning at idle. Should be a screw where the cable ends, probably has a spring on it.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 25, 2014, 11:07 AM »
I'm going to be in the market for an auger next year and used a friend's propane jiffy that impressed me.  I have a question though about propane bottles freezing.  I do not use a shanty and so can't keep the bottles warm so I'm wondering if you have to worry about the bottles freezing up when it gets below a certain temperature.  I haven't read about this problem with the augers, but its apparently a significant problem with heaters used in shanty's.  Anyone have any issues with this?
My pro 4 becomes a PITA when it is -20*F or colder. -10*F and I can still get my holes in but there is a significant loss in power. Any temp above 0*F it works like a champ. I keep an extra bottle in the cab of my snosled next to the exhaust manifold to keep one warm just in case. If I'm not on sled, I'll have my truck on the ice and can just throw it in there for 10 minutes and it works fine. Honestly, if it is -20*F I'm gonna have a place to get warm like a shanty or vehicle and I think the majority of people will also. If you fish a lot in temps below zero and don't have the means to warm it up, get a gas auger instead.
It must be something in the water.

Offline tundra redneck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 26, 2014, 04:47 PM »
Mine Will seem to run when the propane is low,  but it did do it yesterday with a new tank maybe the wind had something to do with it,  but if burped the throttle it seemed to come out of it

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #11 on: Jan 31, 2014, 07:03 AM »
My pro 4 becomes a PITA when it is -20*F or colder. -10*F and I can still get my holes in but there is a significant loss in power. Any temp above 0*F it works like a champ. I keep an extra bottle in the cab of my snosled next to the exhaust manifold to keep one warm just in case. If I'm not on sled, I'll have my truck on the ice and can just throw it in there for 10 minutes and it works fine. Honestly, if it is -20*F I'm gonna have a place to get warm like a shanty or vehicle and I think the majority of people will also. If you fish a lot in temps below zero and don't have the means to warm it up, get a gas auger instead.

Thank you. I've often wondered about this. I guess I'll stick to my gas for now
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.