The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Mixing gas and oil for power augers?  (Read 10612 times)

Offline Icefisher40

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missing the U.P
Mixing gas and oil for power augers?
« on: Jan 22, 2014, 03:03 PM »
I was wondering how difficult it is to mix gas and oil for a two stroke auger? I have never owned ANYTHING two-stroke, so I am pretty ignorant on the subject?

On a side note, are you supposed to set 2-stroke augers downin any particular way so it doesn't leak?

Offline SDfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Mixing gas and oil for power augers?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2014, 03:08 PM »
Easy, do a bit of quick math depending on the blend you need or like. Then Measure pour and shake, easy as that.
Jesus was said to have walked on water, I feel comfort in knowing he was an avid ice fisherman like me.

Offline XhardwaterX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2014, 03:27 PM »
40:1 is what I do. Them lil 3 oz bottles in a gallon of gas. dunno how much ya get to ice fish. But lately ive been buying quarts of trufuel. Its like 6 dollars a quart at lowes an its premixed 40:1 with ethanol free gas. 1 quart fills the tank on my jiffy with a little left over.

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2014, 03:28 PM »
I have an old 2 stroke strike master.

40:1

I place my auger down and just make sure the vent cap to the gas tank is closed to prevent any leaking.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2014, 03:29 PM »
I mix 1 pillow pack of Amsoil Saber pro to .8 gal of gas, lasts me all season....Cost under $5

Offline Water and ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2014, 03:44 PM »
Google TRUFUEL. Its a premixed fuel in a can. I picked up a couple of can and Lowes for $6 a piece one can filled my auger tank. Supposed to last a couple of years.

Offline Icefisher40

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missing the U.P
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2014, 03:50 PM »
Are premixed fuels safe to use? I'm just a little worried about somehow messing up a new auger..

Offline adam2369

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2014, 03:58 PM »
I was wondering the same thing about the pre-mix fuels. What is used for fuel and what is used for oil?

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2014, 03:59 PM »
1. Follow the manufacturer's recommendation for oil and gas/oil ratio.
2. I like the Ratio-Rite cup for measuring.
3. You can put the oil in first and then a little gas and swish it around and then the rest of the gas.

Just takes a few minutes once/year.  Easy-Peasy.  I like to add Sta-Bil, too.  Been using a 2-stroke since 1996 and I love it.  Never regretted the 2-stroke for a minute.  No leaking when laid down.  I usually set it down so the gas cap is up anyway.

Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2014, 04:19 PM »
I mix 1 pillow pack of Amsoil Saber pro to .8 gal of gas, lasts me all season....Cost under $5

Exactly !    Now that you've heard from the rest, why not go with the best.      ;)2

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/motor-oil/2-stroke/saber-professional/?code=ATPPK-EA

Offline CarbonDraw

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2014, 04:41 PM »
I have an Eskimo Auger and they have small bottles of VIPER oil that are ready to be mixed with 1 gallon of fuel.  They are like $2 at Reed's if I remember correctly. They are a 50:1. There is also a JIFFY 2 stroke oil for Augers which is 40:1. One benefit to these little bottles is that they have a fuel stabilizer mixed in the oil already so you don't have to add it separately or forget to do it all together.  So if you're auger is calling for 50:1 or 40:1, which most of them are, these are cheap and easy. On a side note,  It states in the manual for my auger to stray away from fuel with ethanol in it. Hope this helps.

Here is the link to Reed's for the oil

http://www.reedssports.com/Category/main.taf?cat=4844

Offline skulldugary

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 22, 2014, 05:10 PM »
Buy a 4 stroke....no mixing....

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #12 on: Jan 22, 2014, 05:47 PM »
Buy a gas can just for the auger gas. And make sure it is at least a 1-1/4 gal. to 1-1/2 gallon can. One time I bought a one gallon can and couldn't mix the oil it was so full. I fill about 1/2 way, add the oil and shake, then fill the other 1/2. I even pour a little gas into the oil bottle and swish it around to get all the oil out.

Offline jeffro9023

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 22, 2014, 06:53 PM »
Amsoil 80:1 and dont look back...thanks Idahogator  ;)

Offline Icefisher40

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missing the U.P
« Reply #14 on: Jan 22, 2014, 06:58 PM »
Buy a 4 stroke....no mixing....

I'm poor. Can hardly afford a low level 2 stroke.

Offline Beets

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • If you don't like the way I fish,stay away from me
....<°)))))>{
<°)))))>{
        <°)))))>{

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #16 on: Jan 22, 2014, 07:08 PM »
Amsoil 80:1 and dont look back...thanks Idahogator  ;)

Yup, start with the best and pleasure follows.     ;)2       :icefish:

Those "Pillow Packs" saves a mess and it's a plus not leaving the good stuff in a mixing cup.     :cookoo:

All the containers from Amsoil have ounce marks on one side and marks on the other side for how much per gallon. It's so easy a caveman, oh, never mind. ;)2

Offline jeffro9023

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 22, 2014, 07:10 PM »
I'm poor. Can hardly afford a low level 2 stroke.

But its amazing what we can afford when we really want something....nobody needs the latest and greatest nothing wrong with a 2 stroke auger...i have the lowly S.M. Magnum with a chipper blade and i love it to pieces and that chipper blade is tougher than nails and easy to replace...basic maintenance and yer good to go...i recommend Amsoil but to each there own

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #18 on: Jan 22, 2014, 07:16 PM »
I recommend Amsoil but to each there own.

We know best, too bad folks just don't believe the truth.    ::)

Offline lunkahville

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 22, 2014, 09:58 PM »
I have an old 2 stroke strike master.

40:1

I place my auger down and just make sure the vent cap to the gas tank is closed to prevent any leaking.

Our old strikemaster is a 24:1 so you might wanna check. Its a tc 2 powerhead bout 15-20 years old
Fishing is like playing at Carnegie Hall, when your good your good. But do you know how to get to Carnegie Hall? PRACTICE!

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #20 on: Jan 22, 2014, 10:04 PM »
Our old strikemaster is a 24:1 so you might wanna check. Its a tc 2 powerhead bout 15-20 years old

It says 24:1 on mine too but apparently it was changed to 40:1. No issues and I do not have the oily goo leak from my muffler anymore.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline lunkahville

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 22, 2014, 10:08 PM »
So that is how you fix that. We always mixed it to 24:1 because thats what it says on the tank
Fishing is like playing at Carnegie Hall, when your good your good. But do you know how to get to Carnegie Hall? PRACTICE!

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #22 on: Jan 22, 2014, 10:10 PM »
So that is how you fix that. We always mixed it to 24:1 because thats what it says on the tank

I believe it may have actually been this site that lead me to find out that ratio changed.

My auger runs better now that I did go to 40:1.

Offline lunkahville

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 22, 2014, 10:13 PM »
We might have to try it and see what happens. Gonna be picking up an eskimo with the same motor next week so we might try it in that instead.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #24 on: Jan 23, 2014, 09:08 AM »
This 100 ml Graduated Cylinder is perfect for mixing oil to one gallon of gas. I like the real glass one because they are so much easier to read, but can also get a plastic one. If you run chainsaws and other 2 cycles this is a good thing to have. The more oil you buy in a bigger container the cheaper the oil cost. It is very easy to convert oz. to ml. ML is easier to measure out. The mix right is better if you are mixing 5 gals at a time or more, for mixing one gallon at a time this is the way to go. I am losing trust in pre-measured plastic bottles, this way there is no doubt how much oil you are mixing.
And once again the original question about how to mix gas and oil gets a heavy dose of my brand of oil is better than yours.

Glass http://www.amazon.com/213I12-Karter-Scientific-Graduated-Cylinder/dp/B006UKIASI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1390488143&sr=8-2&keywords=Graduated+Cylinder

Plastic http://www.amazon.com/Amico-Chemistry-Measuring-Graduated-Cylinder/dp/B0094EK71K/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1390488143&sr=8-13&keywords=Graduated+Cylinder

Offline jerrife

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 23, 2014, 09:12 AM »

X2 love the amsoil. Works great in my old jiffy, been using it for a couple seasons now.
           :thumbsup: BUBBA ARMY :thumbsup:

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #26 on: Jan 23, 2014, 09:27 AM »

You can get a gas pump to shut off at .8 gallon? Dang your good.
I was at the gas station the other day getting a gallon of non eth. premium for my chainsaws and the pump went to $1.25 before any gas even came out of the hose. I get my gas in a 5 gallon can then I have a one gallon glass wine jug I use that I marked off a exact gallon with a black marker pen. I use that to measure a gallon of gas before I put it into the  1-1/2 gallon mixing can. Plus with the glass one gallon jug I can see if any water or crap is in the gas. You wouldn't believe how much water there is in gas sometimes. I mean not a real lot but you are kidding yourself if you think you never get any water in your gas. I also use a "MR Funnel" to make sure no water goes in the mixing can.
Yea I am anal about it but I have over $2,000 worth of 2 cycle chainsaw's, leaf blower, weed trimmer, and auger,

Offline Walleyeslayer306

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 26, 2014, 04:35 PM »
I mix my eskimo and jiffy at 50:1 using amsoil saber oil, I have measuring cup specifically for 2stroke oil and mix it in a 10 L gas tank which is enough for the season!
born to fish, forced to work!

Offline AkDan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 26, 2014, 05:10 PM »
I'm running amsoil saber also 100-1.  Pretty awesome stuff!   My plugs are a nice medium brown.

You know if you error, error slightly rich.  Its really not that big of a deal.  I mix in a 1 gallon gas can.  I know I have 1 gallon and the side of the jug is marked.  Just get'r done.     

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #29 on: Jan 26, 2014, 06:36 PM »
I mix in small amounts, 1/4 gallons at a time. I add in 0.8 oz of oil.

Ready for war!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.