Author Topic: Big Pool, Little Pool and Blairs Valley?  (Read 2603 times)

Offline Ghart

• IceShanty Rookie
Big Pool, Little Pool and Blairs Valley?
« on: Jan 21, 2014, 09:25 AM »
Been fishing DCL but am hoping for a little home water adventure.  Any of you ice fanatics poked any holes in these water in the past few days. Lmk.  It's getting good! 

Offline Ghart

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Big Pool, Little Pool and Blairs Valley?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2014, 11:55 AM »
Tracks on the ice on BP.  That meanS LP must be pretty close if not there already.   :tipup:

Offline hesseltine32

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yelling at the fish on my screen
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2014, 12:08 PM »
I feel like I should try some of these waters closer to my place but hard not to drive to DCL for the slab perch and walleye.

Offline Ghart

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2014, 06:31 PM »
Local water gave up a 32 fish today. Some sunfish, perch, nice crappies, and a pile of large mouth bass.  11" of water.  Good ole Swedish pimple with waxies.  Other rod set with fathead top hook and waxie bottom.   1 other guy out .......not bad for 88 acres of hard water.  4 " solid ice , some holes 5".  Listened to it make ice all morn.  Fish turned off 1:30.......      :tipup:

Offline mitchmouth

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2014, 07:28 AM »
Fished Blair's Sat. Morning..just two of us on the ice..only 5 flags...one fish.. ice is 4 to 7 inches...

Offline Ghart

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2014, 07:48 AM »
Thanks for the BV update!  The point opposite the baot launch in 7'-10' of water is quite good for crappie.  Quite a bunch of trout in there too.  Good luck!

Offline lpsfrog

• IceShanty Rookie
  • With this rain it appears so long till next winter
« Reply #6 on: Feb 01, 2014, 05:58 AM »
Fished Blair's Valley all day yesterday. @ of us stayed all day. Caught a fair amount of dink gills and a few small bass.  Locating fish was very difficult.  Drilled many holes, some with no markers on the electronics at all.  Fished the afore mentioned point as well as other locations.  Fished water depth from 8 to 15 feet all over the lake. Not consistent.  Think the high pressure system has them a little off. Look for the bite to pick up on sunday ahead of the next weather system.  Ice was very slick. 7-10 inches.  If you go, please drive safe. All the whitetail traffic is insane. Was almost rearened and hit head one just on the way there.  Please post updates if the bite picks up. Heading further west, maybe Rocky Gap the next few days.

Offline orange pants

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2014, 01:22 PM »
DNR says they are going to stock trout in Greenbrier and Blair's Valley the beginning of this month.A couple of days after they stock the trout bite is usually good.Let's hope they stock those lakes while the ice is still good.

Offline mitchmouth

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 06, 2014, 09:10 AM »
FYI found out that you can't use a gas Auger at Big Pool... its on Fed. Park ground

Offline woodbury pond

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 07, 2014, 10:01 AM »
Orangepants, will they stock through the ice?  Never heard of that.

Offline orange pants

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 07, 2014, 10:37 PM »
They have in past years.As long as they can get a hole in the ice near the boat ramps.Usually they just back the truck on the edge of the ice at the ramp.That's what I've been told.About 4 or 5 years ago when we had all that snow in Feb. they stocked.If I find out they have stocked I'll post it.

Offline tckbite

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 08, 2014, 12:51 PM »
FYI found out that you can't use a gas Auger at Big Pool... its on Fed. Park ground

Just wondering where you heard this from?  I haven't gotten out yet this season, been sick, but drilled holes there and at Little Pool in the past with a gas auger. Know others that have also. Just wondering if this is something new, or something never enforced in the past. Have even been stopped and checked by the DNR there before for fishing license and nothing said about having a gas auger. Not saying your wrong, would just like some confirmation.

Thanks!

Offline mitchmouth

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 11, 2014, 03:38 PM »
Surprised us too...U.S. Park service ranger was driving on the tow path, he stopped and walked out on the ice...said that NO gas engines are allowed on Federal ground..this was news to us...he warned us and told us don't come back with a gas auger...Probably to the state DNR your not violating anything because they are just enforcing fish and game laws?...It seemed weird to us?

Offline mitchmouth

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 11, 2014, 03:48 PM »
I've seen them stock frozen lakes before like Cowans Gap ...they just Chainsaw A hole and use the stocking hose on the back of the Stocking truck...

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
« Reply #14 on: Feb 12, 2014, 05:34 PM »
Surprised us too...U.S. Park service ranger was driving on the tow path, he stopped and walked out on the ice...said that NO gas engines are allowed on Federal ground..this was news to us...he warned us and told us don't come back with a gas auger...Probably to the state DNR your not violating anything because they are just enforcing fish and game laws?...It seemed weird to us?

Yeah, no gas motors of any kind.  Also, before boating with an electric motor, check to see if it's OK in the section you go to (Big Pool, Battie Mixon, are OK for example), because most of the Canal, it's prohibited because of erosion, etc.  The rules/regs can be found here:

http://www.nps.gov/choh/parkmgmt/upload/2013-Superintendent-s-Compendium-1.pdf
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

Offline mitchmouth

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 13, 2014, 09:54 AM »
Looks like you can use an electric trolling motor on little and big pool... and I'm presuming you can use an electric Auger there as well?

Offline tckbite

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 15, 2014, 08:29 PM »
Thanks for the info. Guess its back to a hand auger. :(

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.