Author Topic: Kenai Peninsula  (Read 2652 times)

Offline GreeceMonkey

• IceShanty Rookie
Kenai Peninsula
« on: Jan 18, 2014, 01:15 AM »
Been out a few times this season to some stocked lakes around Soldotna area. Before I left for work on the 14th, the overflow conditions were improving, but sounds like the opposite now with all the rain..Saw about 16 inches of good ice on the lakes and the bite was fairly hot. Just wanted to share a link for all the Kenai Peninsula stocked lakes and their information as we have the Trustworthy derby coming up soon. http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=fishingSport.region&StockingAreaID=22
"A bad day of fishin' beats a good day of anything else"

Offline PikeSticker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Another day at the office~!
Re: Kenai Peninsula
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2014, 03:53 PM »
A fishing buddy's brother in law was out snowmaching 3 days ago from Robinson Loop out on the back lakes, Derks, Sevena, Tree, Elephant/Spirit lake as well as some of the ponds. He said the overflow was so bad you didn't dare slow down or stop or that was all she wrote. Snow was dropping out from under him everywhere he traveled on the ice. Been 40 degrees and either raining and melting or windy and melting just as it is today. Lakes are turning into a total mess.  But there is usually good fishing right close to parking lots and public access points on most of the lakes, especially those on the Stocking List GreeceMonkey posted. HIP BOOTS or knee highs are no longer an option but mandatory. And Personal Floatation Devices are recommended for small children.  ;D

Kenai River ice in Soldotna is getting soft and sagging. I have a 10 foot wide slot of open running water along my bank in my backyard.  Still another week straight of warm temperatures in the forecast. Seward going into "flood mode" today as another 4 inches of rain is pouring down on them.
~~~ Keep your powder dry and your nose to the wind~!  Even a stopped clock is right twice a day~!

Offline GreeceMonkey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2014, 03:34 PM »
Went out to a couple lakes since it has cooled down. Bite is slow but ice conditions are good. Seen anywhere from 12-17 inches of solid ice. Starting to get some overcast so hopefully the fish will become a little more active.
"A bad day of fishin' beats a good day of anything else"

Offline wesak81

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 04, 2014, 08:09 PM »
hows upper summit lake looking?   anyone seen it latey?
NOTHING IS BETTER THEN BEING ON THE WATER

Offline moosehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 10, 2014, 08:06 AM »
wish we had some of that warm weather down here. lol. been way colder than normal.

Offline akwchil

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2014, 02:51 PM »
hows upper summit lake looking?   anyone seen it latey?

I drove by yesterday afternoon and there were 3 separate groups out on the lake at the shallow end, opposite of the restaurant.  Figured with that many people the ice must be okay, figuring it's like the rest of the smaller lakes at 12 to 18 inches

Offline akwchil

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 25, 2014, 10:44 AM »
Anyone driving on hidden lake this year?

Offline akwchil

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 18, 2014, 06:09 PM »
for all you Peninsula guys there is now a Facebook page, come join us https://www.facebook.com/groups/1513944808866515/

Offline akwchil

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 21, 2014, 09:56 PM »
Ice is solid on most of lakes minus the large ones er' Kenia, skilak, tustamena, Hidden... but I've been out on a few different ones and have found ice 6 to 10"  be safe and have a happy holiday

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.