The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Rigging help for a total newbie  (Read 661 times)

Offline sams

• IceShanty Rookie
Rigging help for a total newbie
« on: Jan 10, 2014, 09:15 AM »
I am a total newbie to ice fishing with a total of maybe 4 hours spent on the ice between 2 outing and no fish caught.  I have a couple of traps and just bought my daughter a jig rod, but have mo idea of how I should be rigging them for ice fishing.  What are some basic set ups that I should look at for the tip ups and jig rods. 

The spot I have in mind has some deeper water that is stocked with trout that is very close to a shallow area with lots of cover where I have seen big bass in the past.  I am guessing that I will want some more general rigs that will catch cold and warm water species.

Thanks in advance.

Sam

Offline JustOsmo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Rigging help for a total newbie
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2014, 09:28 AM »
For tip-ups. I use a barrel swivel attached to the ice line with a split shot above the swivel on the tipup line, or braided line as some call it. From that I attached fluorocarbon leader material the #Test changes according to what i am fishing for and the length also changes. For Trout i use about 4FT of 4# Test, for Bass I use 3ft of 8# Test and Pike i use wire leader. From that I attach a Gamakatsu Octopus hook size depends on the target again. small hook for trout medium hook for bass and large for pike.

So like this:

Tipup Line - Split shot weight - Swivel - Leader - Hook
~~~~~~0~OO-------------------__>

If you have any question toss me a PM. Im not a pro but im willing to help anyone.

As for setting it up, for everything but trout and salmon i usually fish just off the bottom of the pond/lake maybe 2ft. But if its shallower ill fish the middle of the water.

Offline airplanejig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2014, 09:31 AM »
Heres  a basic trout tipup set up   samll black  sampo barrel swivel size 10    6 feet  6 lb seagar florocarbon leader      small  lead free   split shot  12 inches above  number  6 red gamagatsu   octopus hook attach small shiner  or  crawler hooked s3 times  so head and tail dangle or  2 mealworms  hooked thru tail  works for me   also  pk flutterfish spoon  gold   firetiger red dot glow for  jiggin
May your flags never have the bends

Offline Rubber Ducky

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2014, 09:40 AM »
I sent you a PM sams.  Everyone does it a little different but the majority of the people who fish use the a similar approach. Good luck

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2014, 10:26 AM »
Sams, it is helpful if you let people now what area of the State you are in... We have a group of Ice Shanty members getting together Saturday, January 18th at  Lake Ellis Off of RT 2A in Athol. Bring your daughter and we will go over everything you will need to know!

Offline sams

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2014, 11:35 AM »
Good point on location.  I live in Rowley (near Ipswich and Newburyport) and plan to fish some ponds in the Georgetown area. 

Thank you guys for the tips here and via PM.  I think that I will go for smaller baits on mid sized hooks and 6lb to keep my options open.  99% of my fishing is salt water, so while I have an idea of what species will be under my feet I am not have a list of spots that I would categorize as perch spots or trout spots.

Sam

Offline capt.shay

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike and 'Eyes
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2014, 11:41 AM »
Stripernut was suggesting that you put your location in your profile  ;)

Welcom to the shanty.  If you have a question, the answer is here.

"I will never stop targeting trophies, every skunk is one skunk closer to a giant "  RC

"We're going to sit around the shanty mama...."  Johnathan Edwards

"If you are going out there to figure it all out by yourself, well, ice has a
 learning curve second only to fire. I wish you the best of luck."    Looneyducer

Offline airplanejig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2014, 11:52 AM »
baldpate, stiles  and pleasant ponds are close to you  have both trout and perch in there 
May your flags never have the bends

Offline sams

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 10, 2014, 02:13 PM »
Thanks to everyone that PM'ed.  It does not look like I can PM yet (most likely there is a minimum post count that i have not yet reached) so I apologize for not responding.

Poot, thanks for the offer, I have 5 traps that I just picked up so save them for the yard sale.

I also found a hand auger in stock near by (Dick's was out) so I should be in good shape as long as the ice holds up.

sam

Offline BogMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 10, 2014, 04:04 PM »
Welcome to the northshore area. Don't forget your scooper after you drill your holes. Cleats too as with the snow gone and a bit of melting the ice will be slick!!

Offline basst_

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 10, 2014, 07:48 PM »
i use a bigger swivel cuz that can act as a small split shot!!! i use 12lbs floro on my bass tip ups! 6-8 floro on my trout setups!  but you can catch big bass on the trout tip ups! i caught a 3.5lbser on my trout setup!!  my bass i use 1/0 VMC octopus hooks and medium shiners!!  i use smaller baits and hooks for trout!

if you want picks and bass! I LOVE shoreline logs!!!! thats where majority of my tip ups are!!

panfish rods! i got 10lbs power pro ice braid with a 4lbs leader of trilene ice mono!!

get a panfish jig kit!! i prefer horizontal style baits!  also stop at the pet store and get some wax worms! i drop the jig down to the bottom and reel in a little! lightly jiggle! also may want to invest in some cheap spring bobbers! im a fan of the light wire ones! spring bobbers are a big help when the panfish are bitting lightly!

each pond is different! one pond i slam them on micro jigs and waxies! another pond they love minnow style jigs!

with panfish you can save a day if flags arent flying! once you catch one you usualy catch more and they are a blast for you and the kids! using a 2 foot ultra light!

im a big fan of smaller ponds!! i can find hungry fish faster then bigger deeper ponds!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.