The Dark House Spearing board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Bought a Clam 6x6 Hub  (Read 2527 times)

Offline blufin

• IceShanty Rookie
Bought a Clam 6x6 Hub
« on: Jan 08, 2014, 02:30 PM »
I bought a Clam 6 x 6 Hub Shelter from Glens army navy. Super fast shipping and best price around. The inside is black and has plenty of height inside.  Am hoping to try it out soon. Too much 20 to 30 below temps the past two weeks. It weighs only 30 pounds and comes in a over size carry bag.  Will keep you guys posted on the pros and cons later on.

Offline runout

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Bought a Clam 6x6 Hub
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2014, 04:33 PM »
I have used one of these to spear out of in two different ways. The first time I just cut the hole and put a decoy in. Overall it worked well but it was very bright in the house because of the light coming out of the ice that I was standing on. So I made a floor that was a little bit under 6’x6’ (whatever the inside footprint of your hub is) out of 1/2” plywood. Two 3’x6’ sheets with a piano hinge connecting the two. The underside of one half is a 2x4 frame with a 2’x3’ (or whatever size you like) spear hole on the outside center of the half. The other side is 2x4 and 2x2 frame with skis. I also put two eye bolts into the front of the ski side of the sled for a pull rope. Put all your gear on the folded sled, pull it to your chosen spearing location, cut your hole, unfold the sled/floor and throw the hub over and it ends up super dark, not as slippery as the ice, gets your boots off of the ice, and when folded fits in the bed of a pickup or the back of almost any SUV.

Offline blufin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2014, 06:39 PM »
Great idea runout !! Thanks.  Anyone else have some comments ??

Offline jasonmichalski

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2014, 11:09 PM »
I only spear from a hub I use two foam 2'x6' sleep mats they work great, last for years and fold in the sled and weight less then a pound. And cheap at Wally World.

Offline PikeSticker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Another day at the office~!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2014, 06:03 AM »
To block out the light from the floor in my popup shelter, whether I'm spearing or just fishing, I lay down this six pack of foam floor mats that have interlocking edges for holding them together. At 2'x2' each I create a 4' x 6' mat on my 6'x6' floor. This leaves a two foot wide by six foot long strip of ice to cut my spearing hole or for drilling three or four fishing holes. The foam doesn't stick or freeze to the ice and provides a nice dry place to set my gear as well as some insulation for my boots. Just don't wear your ice cleats on them. The only problem is if there is overflow, i.e. standing water on the ice, these mats want to float.

~~~ Keep your powder dry and your nose to the wind~!  Even a stopped clock is right twice a day~!

Offline jasonmichalski

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2014, 01:18 PM »
Here's what my set-up looks like with the foam sleep mats.

Offline blufin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 04, 2014, 09:28 AM »
Yesterday I tried out my Clam 6x6 hub.  Everything went very good. I decided on the sleep mats as per Jason's recommendation. Worked great! Light weight, easy lay down, and sound proof if you drop something. Thanks Jason.
   I got two 5 pounders and saw a 8 to 10 pounder that floated next to my spinning golf ball, but moved out before I could get on him. He never returned.  ???

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 04, 2014, 06:04 PM »
I need to find about the gold ball thing

Offline jasonmichalski

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 04, 2014, 07:35 PM »
Here's what my set-up looks like with the foam sleep mats.

no problem, that makes these sites great, the ability to sure info on what works and what doesn't.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Feb 04, 2014, 07:39 PM »
Some good ideas!

WS

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.