The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Strikemaster Solo Lazer Pro cutting out at full throttle?  (Read 4227 times)

Offline stickbow59

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Big Buck Down!!!
I have a 2 year old Strikemaster that has ran great until this year. It easily starts right up and seems to run at full power when the throttle is only depressed slightly. When the throttle is fully depressed it bogs down and shuts off. I have new fuel in it (93 octane) mixed at the proper 40 to one ratio with 2 cycle oil and have also added some Stabil and carburetor cleaner to try and help out. My son said the float in the carb may be stuck, me I have no idea. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank You

Offline stickbow59

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Big Buck Down!!!
Re: Strikemaster Solo Lazer Pro cutting out at full throttle?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2014, 12:46 PM »
I just got new gas (89)and mixed up  a 40 to 1 ratio. Same results although I noticed that with the choke left in the slightly on position it is perfect. Maybe I should just run it like this and not worry about it.

Offline frogmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2014, 07:39 PM »
Get some SEAFOAM from Auto Store (Follow directions for mixing)  This can sometimes clean it out and get it running better.  I would NIXS the Stabil until putting it away.  Just Fresh 89 & Seafoam.  I also like to replace the OEM sparkplug with equivelent (NGK-Iridium).  My SM is from 1989 and still smoking holes.  Good Luck and Bless
Fish FEAR ME ;)

Offline stickbow59

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Big Buck Down!!!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2014, 07:36 AM »
Thank You very much, going to pick up the Seafoam and spark plug and will see what happens. It's not too bad at all so hopefully these items will fix it up.

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2014, 01:03 PM »
Sounds like it is pulling air somewhere or the high speed orifice is plugged up. Seafoam should help but if it were me I would be pulling that carb apart and cleaning it.

I was on a bus and just happened to be sitting on a news paper. This guy came up and asked. "Are you reading that ?"
I said  yes, stood up, turned the page and sat back down.

Offline stickbow59

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Big Buck Down!!!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2014, 07:39 AM »
I picked up some Seafoam yesterday and a new plug. It seems to run a little better and I'm thinking it may take some time for the Seafoam to work completely. If not I guess I may have to try cleaning the carburetor and see if maybe it has a cracked line which is taking in air. Thanks again!

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2014, 08:24 AM »
Ethanol fuels raise havoc with these engines. You could have a cracked primer bulb, cracked fuel line, Needle and seat could be swelled from the Ethanol and rendered useless, or simply a plugged carb from the fuels evaporating and leaving 2 stroke oil behind to plug off journals, or simply the ethanol destroyed the Diaphragm.  If you decide to clean this carb you must fully disassemble it before spraying with carb cleaner or the end results could be all neoprene parts such as diaphragm and needle and seat will swell from cleaner and be totally junk. At this point you have no choice but to rebuild it.  If you have been running Ethanol based fuels order a new carb kit and rebuild it. Almost all these kits can be bought from Ebay or even a small engine shop locally.     

Offline stickbow59

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Big Buck Down!!!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2014, 03:39 PM »
Thanks cold-feet, It is running a bit better, I'm just hoping the Seafoam cleans it out. Now if the ethanol has damaged something that's another story. I'm hoping for the best.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Jan 14, 2014, 03:57 PM »
Been running ethanol fuels in all my 2-strokes since the 1980s.  Have never had a problem due to ethanol fuels.  Snowmobiles (currently have 10 running skidoos from 1979-1999), 2-stroke boat engines, 3 gas augers, weed eaters, etc.
Its not the fuel type-
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 14, 2014, 07:17 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethanol_fuel

Read all about it I have rebuilt more carbs in the last 4 years due to this fuel than any other years I have worked on engines. go to the technology section and please read all about what this stuff does to a engines carb. Trust me its the fuel.  Pretty funny all the posts about Augers not running right we never saw that much complaints or questions asked of why doesn't my auger run full throttle or doesn't start or simply runs like crap.  All carb related and nothing is wrong with this fuel? Yet those who run non Ethanol fuels or straight gas see a improvement in their auger and or no problems.

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 14, 2014, 07:25 PM »
SLayerfish  this isn't a slam on your post your situation can be totally due to altitude.  In Colorado I can not say what your altitude is and running your sleds and what not quite possibly be fine the less air due to higher altitude you can run leaner which the Etahnol will do if run through a carb on a auger or weedeater where the main jets are fixed and are not removable or changed out like a sled would.  In lower altitude these engines will run lean and there is nothing to be done about that other than total carb work.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Jan 15, 2014, 08:38 AM »
Yah jusy stating what I've experienced-
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline KZ3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 16, 2014, 12:45 PM »
I have the same auger in the shop right now and will be picking it up after work.  It was doing the same thing your auger was doing and then very hard to start.  They went through the entire thing and the carb looked brand new.  They even called and asked if was brand new for warrenty work, but unfortunately it's 3 years old.  So, they dug deeper and found out in was leaking oil because some engine seals went out and they had to completely take down the motor to replace them.  I didn't get the bill yet but sounded like 150-200 bucks, which is not cool for a 3 year old unit with not that many hours on it and I always used non ethanol gas in it.  Not real happy with the strikemaster solo. 

Offline stickbow59

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Big Buck Down!!!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 16, 2014, 01:22 PM »
KZ3, mine always starts right up and has plenty of power, just can't give it full throttle or it bogs down. It is definitely a bit better since changing the plug and adding some of the Seafoam. I sure hope mine doesn't get as bad as your's, it's also 3 years old!

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 16, 2014, 02:18 PM »
As you can see Seals are getting whipped out this is not the first engine doing this either. Many so far this year are doing the same thing. I will stand behind telling people keep away from Oxy fuels. That's stuff destroys rubber and neoprene. These 2 strokes require a air tight crank case to get the  vacuum built internally so the carb works right.

Offline KZ3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 17, 2014, 08:30 AM »
Just an update on mine from when I picked it up.  $272 bucks and they replaced the crank seals.  I talked to the auger repair guy and asked why in the world they would go out so fast and he said because the seals that were in it are junk, and that's why the new seal replacements they use are a different color and better.  Real nice!  Straight from a listed strikemaster repair shop.  Just a heads up on what might be coming your way. This auger has only had non ethanol gas and no additives ever.

Offline stickbow59

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Big Buck Down!!!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 17, 2014, 06:13 PM »
Thanks KZ3, If mine ends up getting that bad I will not get it fixed. I can just about buy a new one for that kind of money and it will be a different brand if and when this happens.

Offline ultraguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 23, 2014, 04:36 AM »
Why not just go the Home Depot and buy the VP fuels gas already premixed in the can @ 40:1? Straight 94 octane gas mixed with Synthetic oil, stabilzer and has a shelf life of 2 years. I had no choice but to use ethenol gas and once I started using the VP in my auger that Solo motor runs like a champ. I run ethanol fuel in my ATV's, boat, weedwacker and everything else. Always used Seafoam but started using Startron and all of my toys and tools run a hell of alot better! The can of VP Fuels premix at Home Depot is like $6 a can.

Offline stickbow59

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Big Buck Down!!!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 23, 2014, 06:28 AM »
I didn't even know that such a thing was available. I might just try this out. Thank You

Offline ultraguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 28, 2014, 02:45 AM »
I didn't even know that such a thing was available. I might just try this out. Thank You

Any results?

Offline stickbow59

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Big Buck Down!!!
« Reply #20 on: Jan 31, 2014, 04:51 PM »
Haven't made it to Home Depot yet. Will let you know. Thanks again

Offline stickbow59

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Big Buck Down!!!
« Reply #21 on: Feb 03, 2014, 09:13 AM »
Made it to Home Depot and am trying the Trufuel. Didn't really seem to change anything but I do like the concept of it being ethanol free. I'm going to stick with this fuel and see if I can get the carb adjusted here shortly.

Offline stickbow59

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Big Buck Down!!!
« Reply #22 on: Feb 03, 2014, 10:34 AM »
I take back my prior statement about the Trufuel not working. After a little patience and running some through a warmed up engine the auger is running like new as it should be!  It was the answer for me!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.