Author Topic: Best way to hook waxworms?  (Read 8809 times)

Offline anthonyjj

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • When in doubt, exaggerate!
Best way to hook waxworms?
« on: Jan 06, 2014, 03:55 PM »
Hey all,
What is the best way to hook waxworms? I have tried threading them on the hook, but they die quickly or end up getting squished. So then I try and T-bone them, but I lose a lot of them without hooking any fish. The waxworms I get, although wiggly, tend to be very tender and very easy to squish (compared to spikes).

So is there a trick to hooking them where they stay alive, but don't get stolen by the fish? Through the head? Through the tail? Feet facing down? anything?

Thanks in advance.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Best way to hook waxworms?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2014, 04:34 PM »
Once through the head (end with the hard spot), or once through the body if the hook is big enough.

If you are having problems with little fish stealing the bait, switch over to spikes (aka maggots or euro larvae). They are much harder to pull off the hook.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2014, 04:39 PM »
I do like above , hooked just below the head then I usually pinch the other end so the juices come out in the water.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2014, 05:48 PM »
Jigs with fine wire hooks and pinch the barb. Pin prick vs. impaled

Offline Philbush1127

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 09, 2014, 08:36 PM »
Is letting the juice leak out key in attracting fish

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2014, 07:19 AM »
I don't go through the head or upper part of the body. I like to thread them on the jig but just at the last legs then thread them on like usual. I don't care if they are dead, I've used black dead worms and caught fish just fine. It's the leaky scent and jig action that gets the bite. On spoons with treble hooks, I will pierce the body just behind or at the last legs, then pierce another barb through the back of the body so the worm is laying horizontally. Sometimes I will hang another worm pierced through the head on the 3rd barb. With vertical drop jig with a single hook, I'll pierce the body at the last legs then push it all the way around to the jig body, then pierce the body again so the worm hangs horizontally again.

I like the worm hanging horizontally for a few reasons. My flasher picks it up better on thin drop jigs, with multiple stabs it leaks a lot of scent, it hides the hook better and I think it tends to get stripped less often.

Offline trapster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 23, 2014, 03:23 PM »
I usually will hook um through the head end and thread them down the hook a bit.  I always squish the tail end.  When the good stuff is oozing out it works better for me.
Shut up and fish.

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 16, 2014, 09:19 PM »
you'll never be able to hook a waxworm in such a way that they both stay alive and on the hook. they're jut too fragile and squishy.

hooking them once in the middle of their body has given me good action, and they've stayed alive longer, but they come off as soon as you hook a fish.

i usually just thread them on the hook and let the juices do most of the work of attracting while i jig.

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 17, 2014, 09:53 AM »
well, yeah. but those are maggots. waxworms are something different entirely.

this is a waxworm^

and these are maggotsv

Offline geo315

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • He is on his way.
« Reply #9 on: Jan 01, 2015, 07:28 PM »
Anyone use mealworms?  Any good?  I can only  get spikes or mealys around here. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.