The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Smith River  (Read 1468 times)

Offline gso12

• Team IceShanty Regular
Smith River
« on: Jan 06, 2014, 11:11 AM »
Its not about ice fishing but Smith River lottery permits can be purchased starting today FYI .    Hope i win the super permit @)
]

Offline UncleFarm

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Smith River
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2014, 11:36 AM »
Its not about ice fishing but Smith River lottery permits can be purchased starting today FYI .    Hope i win the super permit @)

Hey, thanks for the heads up!!! Got a used Avon raft last year, w frame and floor and canvas canopy for shade, and it has Smith River written ALLLL Over it!!!
:tipup: Helena Hand-Auger :tipup:

Offline gso12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 11, 2014, 03:10 PM »
Found out yesterday that i got a permit for early July. Cant wait almost wish it was summer time ;) This will be my first trip down the smith . Any tips from people that already done this trip would be appreciated thanx
]

Offline halijigmt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 11, 2014, 04:22 PM »
July?Pray for rain.

Offline theat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 11, 2014, 04:31 PM »
I would recommend getting to Camp Baker early if you want to book the best campsites. 

The river will most likely be low that time of year. Travel as light as possible to make the boat dragging easier. Once past the first ten miles or so, it should be smooth sailing.

The rapids that are mentioned in the literature are nothing to worry about. They are more of a rock garden where you will likely bounce against a few boulders, but not much as far as hydrolics. There are several very sharp corners where the flow slams straight into big cliffs. If you are paying attention and stay near the eddy line on the inside of the curves you should be fine.

There is a big cave with a bunch of pictographs about thirty miles into the float. If you don't mind doing a steep 1/2 mile hike, it is well worth checking out. It is on river left and there is a small sign on the river bank. 

The last 15 miles are much slower going than the rest of the river, so expect to put in at least 5 or 6 hours of float time for this stretch.

Offline BourbonSnowCone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 11, 2014, 05:05 PM »
July?Pray for rain.

Always helpful hali

Offline BigSage

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Whack'm n Stack'm
« Reply #6 on: Mar 11, 2014, 06:04 PM »
The Smith has a very large snow pack this year.  You should be o.k for water.  I would bring firewood with you, as there is no wood around the camp sites.  You can gather some along the river, but so does everyone else.  Do 4 nights instead of 3.  3 nights means really long floats each day, and you can't fish nearly as much.

Offline BloodShotP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 11, 2014, 08:08 PM »
I floated in that high water year, I think 2012. We went in May and the river was still raging, you will probably be fine. As long as you are OK with having the time of your life for 4 days in the wilderness. Its F*ing awesome, and we floated on chocolate milk. I can only imagine crystal clear water in July...holy moly. And yes take a look at the snowpack and it looks like there should be plenty of water. Good Luck Man!

Offline gso12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 12, 2014, 09:36 PM »
Thanx for the info everyone.
]

Offline Htech77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 12, 2014, 10:01 PM »
Floated it 4 years in a row 03-06'. Bring a case if beer and a bottle of whiskey over and I'll tell you some stories  ;D water will be fine. I've heard they changed the rules since then. Is it true you have to pack out EVERYTHING ;)

Offline Born Late

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Mar 12, 2014, 10:22 PM »
Hang your food or keep it in a bear-proof container...in case any survived last year's debacle.  >:(

I've not drawn in a lot of years.  Enjoy the ride, it's beautiful country.
YOU are the only one who can decide if the ice is safe enough for you.

Offline theat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Mar 12, 2014, 10:46 PM »
Hang your food or keep it in a bear-proof container...in case any survived last year's debacle.  >:(

I've not drawn in a lot of years.  Enjoy the ride, it's beautiful country.

Any chance you could elaborate on the "debacle"?

Offline Born Late

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Mar 12, 2014, 10:54 PM »
YOU are the only one who can decide if the ice is safe enough for you.

Offline icefishnaddct

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 16, 2014, 02:46 PM »
pre make all of your food and seal it in vacuum sealed bags, then just boil water in a pot and put the bag in until food is heated. we did not do this the one year i went but my buddy said they had done that on previous trips and it makes cooking MUCH less of a hassle (not having to deal with doing dishes and not having as much trash to haul around). you can be eating pretty good if you do it this way also (lasagna, spaghetti, chili, anything really), it's better than eating weiners every night!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.