Author Topic: Greenbriar Ice Check  (Read 6915 times)

Offline West by Virginia

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Greenbriar Ice Check
« Reply #30 on: Jan 20, 2014, 08:13 PM »
Thinking about fishing in the storm tomorrow.  Anyone on the ice today?  It has been warm, but that ice was pretty thick last week. 

Looks like good cold weather coming up, but I have to work later in the week, so tomorrow is my best bet.  I will report if I make it.   

Offline hesseltine32

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yelling at the fish on my screen
« Reply #31 on: Jan 21, 2014, 06:00 AM »
Good luck an be safe.

Offline West by Virginia

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Jan 24, 2014, 08:18 AM »
Fished about 4 hours on Thursday 1/23/14.   Ice was a little thin, so I did not go out far.  It looks like there must have been some open water since the last freeze, and that ice was 2.5 inches of clear ice.  You could see the bottom of the lake until the snow started to drift.   The sections with old ice had about 4 inches: 2 good/2 white.    It was COLD. (-7 on my watch attached to my bucket).  The lake was popping, cracking ans singing = making ice!  I pulled some small sunfish from 5ft of water in front of the beech.   They kicked us out of the park well before dark, but I guess they wanted to go home and get warm. 

Unfortunately I am headed out of town today for the weekend.  It is my birthday, and I am hoping for a fishfinder.  :)

Good luck. 

Offline cyclocoastie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 24, 2014, 08:38 AM »
That ice should be just fine as long as the temps stay below freezing at night.
Jesus was an ice fisherman...

Offline vasea

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Jan 27, 2014, 05:12 PM »
Fished there yesterday, from 12pm till dark, used palm rod, had a good action, 7 crappies, countless bluegills, one largemouth about 14 inches and something broke my 2 pound test line. I fished at 14 feet near the bottom, then saw signal on the flasher at 7 feet deep, lifted the lure up got a bite right away felt something heavy fought for 2-3 seconds and line broke, I suspect that was trout, maybe someone who knows this lake better has other thoughts?

Offline REB9

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Jan 27, 2014, 06:32 PM »
My bet is a holdover trout.  They tend to cruise mid column and will whack a jig if u bring it up to them.  I fished for a few hours both Sat and Sun.  Lots of small gills, a trout and a greenie bout eleven inches. 

The trout I caught acted like your mystery fish, I saw him in the column on the flasher and brought my jig up that was immediately whacked..

I caught my fish in the same depth range.

REB9

Offline flyfishbowhunticefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Jan 27, 2014, 08:26 PM »
Hey Vasea, that was me with the red shanty.   Maybe you'll get that jig back another day, its happened to me once before.
Y'all catchin?

Offline Spurcollector

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Jan 28, 2014, 08:03 AM »
My grandson and I plan to head up on Thurs (30th) and plan to get there before lunch.  Hope to see some of you gents up there.  I would put my money on that line-breaker being a trout.  I've seen them cruise around 3-4' under the ice like a pack of wolves---reel up fast and suddenly one of the blips stops and then whammo!!!---spur
I never lost a little fish----spurcollector

Offline vasea

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Jan 28, 2014, 11:38 AM »
Allright, now I know, next time will be prepared 

Offline REB9

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Jan 28, 2014, 08:07 PM »
My grandson and I plan to head up on Thurs (30th) and plan to get there before lunch.  Hope to see some of you gents up there.  I would put my money on that line-breaker being a trout.  I've seen them cruise around 3-4' under the ice like a pack of wolves---reel up fast and suddenly one of the blips stops and then whammo!!!---spur

Hope you catch some big gills spur.  I'm headin to Phoenix tomorrow thru Friday, hope to fish Saturday and Sunday.  Bring your license!!

Post the depth you find em at.  Also ice conditions.  Thanks. Bob

Offline Spurcollector

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Jan 29, 2014, 02:23 PM »
Thanks Reb.  Have a safe and enjoyable trip to Phoenix.   I've printed off 'bout 10 copies of my licenses.  I even have 'em stuck in with my spikes.  Hope to see you up there soon. :)----spur

Offline crappie assain

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Jan 29, 2014, 09:32 PM »
There is good ice at Greenbriar.  Every hole I drilled had at least 6-7 inches.  I would still becarefull near the middle and off from the last beach, I think there might be a spring there.  Good luck.

Offline West by Virginia

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Jan 29, 2014, 11:26 PM »
Fished 2pm til dark today.  Lots of little gills.   There is solid ice all over the lake. 
The DNR K9 guy was there with his beautiful dogs - checked my license. 
Hope to head back tomorrow.  I really want to catch something big enough to eat.  Hard without electronics...

Offline West by Virginia

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Jan 30, 2014, 10:10 PM »
Another Day On the Ice.
The clear ice near the dam is also over 6 inches.  You can see deep into the water. 
Few sunfish near the beech. 
LOVE this weather.

Offline Spurcollector

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Jan 31, 2014, 09:40 AM »
My grandson and I fished from ~11am 'till ~3pm  yesterday and it was slow.  Caught one nice crappie and three keeper gills (2 redears and 1 sunny) using spikes--lots of small gills.  Clear ice around 6-7" thick.  We fished in around 12' of water at the upper end close to where the lake widens out.  Little chilly with temps in the high 20's and a nasty little wind blowing.   There was another fisherman fishing close to use and we may have seen West by Virginia enter the ice at the lower end of the lake.  Hopefully, the ice will hang on for awhile.  GREAT FUN!!!

Offline REB9

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Feb 03, 2014, 05:55 PM »
Fished yesterday.  Bluegills kept me busy all day.  Found some nice ones in 12 feet of water.  4 medium sized crappie and two largemouth.  Ice was 6 inches around 3pm.  The rain this morning coul not have helped, then lay on 3 inches of heavy wet snow,.   Ugly.

REB9

Offline vasea

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Feb 04, 2014, 08:02 PM »
how big are the nice ones there?

Offline Spurcollector

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Feb 09, 2014, 05:25 AM »
Any recent updates on Greenbriar ice conditions??  I haven't been up since my last post.  Tks  Pat T

Offline West by Virginia

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Feb 09, 2014, 08:37 AM »
I was there on Thursday 2/6.
About 3 inches of good ice with 4 inches of frozen stuff on top.
Bluegills were eating my nightcrawlers.   

Offline REB9

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Feb 09, 2014, 02:47 PM »
Any recent updates on Greenbriar ice conditions??  I haven't been up since my last post.  Tks  Pat T

Spur.  Best ice of the year right now.  Snow melted and thawed.  Nice hard ice.  Found some nice gills.  Small crappie....   Let us know how you do. 

Bob

Offline Spurcollector

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Feb 10, 2014, 06:55 AM »
Thanks, Gents.  Really appreciate the updates.  I may target Friday for a trip to Greenbriar.  Looks like this week will harden up the ice even more.

Thanks again---pat t.

Offline hesseltine32

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Feb 13, 2014, 08:12 AM »
Looks like we got some snow.

Offline West by Virginia

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Feb 13, 2014, 10:40 PM »
I fished yesterday (Wednesday Feb 12).  The ice is very nice - about 7 inches of good ice.  I am surprised by the open water remaining near the dock.

THe ranger said they would have the roads clear by the end of the day Thursday, and as long a 2WD truck could make it up the road to the gate, they will have it open.  I am going to take my kids fishing tomorrow.  Looks like we will need to shovel down to the ice.   

Offline REB9

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Feb 14, 2014, 06:40 PM »
So my friend how was the fishing today?

Bob

Offline West by Virginia

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Feb 15, 2014, 03:04 AM »
We shoveled out some spots and drilled holes.  Water is coming up through the ice - maybe becasue the snow is pushing the ice down?  Anyway, it was wet.  We made some ice dams around the holes and shoveled some chairs and tables.  Good times.  Unfortunately the fish did not cooperate.  No bites. 

The kids went sledding on the dam.  There was another guy over in the shade of the mountain, and tracks from other people over the fish habitat area with the crappies. 

Warm out there.  I don't know how long the ice will last. But it it a good 7 inches, so it might survive as long as it gets cold at night. 

Offline hesseltine32

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Feb 15, 2014, 05:23 PM »
Was that you with the other flip over west?

It was wet and sloppy out there today.  All that snow was pushing down on the ice.  4-6 inches of ice 2-3 of good black.
Fished 9-330  lots of marks and misses light biters. Put some gills on the ice no eaters.  Didn't move much as the girlfriend came out for the first time and didn't really want to leave the shanty with the heater on.

Good to see you again Reb thanks for the pointer.

Offline Spurcollector

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Feb 17, 2014, 05:28 AM »
Whoaaa!!!!  2-3 in of hard ice will certainly keep this ice fisherman away.  If it's not at least 4" of clear ice you can count me out.  To be honest, with the weather and all, I am surprised that we 're losing good ice that fast.  Guess I'll have to check out Martin's Lagoon.  Thanks for the reports.---spur

Offline hesseltine32

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Feb 17, 2014, 03:56 PM »
Whoaaa!!!!  2-3 in of hard ice will certainly keep this ice fisherman away.  If it's not at least 4" of clear ice you can count me out.  To be honest, with the weather and all, I am surprised that we 're losing good ice that fast.  Guess I'll have to check out Martin's Lagoon.  Thanks for the reports.---spur

that was in the middle there was 4" closer to shore where i tried

Offline REB9

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Mar 02, 2014, 06:27 PM »
Still fish able in the cove left of the beach as you look across to the spillway.  Stockers, are eating now.  Fun jigging them up.  Open water all along the beach to the boathouse.   

Be careful out there. 

REB9

Offline West by Virginia

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #59 on: Mar 06, 2014, 10:11 PM »
Ice held up today.  Not sure how many more days.  6 inches, but kind of funny.
The trout show up clear on my "new" Hummingbird 2000.
They like the chartreuse powerbait.  I like them with lemon and butter.     

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.