The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Trout at night?  (Read 1360 times)

Offline Mtfishin

• IceShanty Rookie
Trout at night?
« on: Jan 03, 2014, 10:28 PM »
Do trout bite at night? Ne'er tried but would like too

Offline JayHelfrich

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My kids can out fish you!
Re: Trout at night?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2014, 10:31 PM »
Yep.  I've stayed out till past 10 pm catching trout on Georgetown and Delmoe.

Jay
Take a kid fishing.

Kids that hunt, fish, and trap don't rob anyone's grandma!

Offline Papa John

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2014, 10:32 PM »
Have fished for trout both in rivers and lakes at night during the summer with success. Don't see why it wouldn't work through the ice.

Offline Mtfishin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2014, 10:37 PM »
Might have to try it. Something to do at night lol

strgon84

« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2014, 10:56 PM »
I don't know what happened but I tried to reply and nothing took place. so I will start over. I was saying that at night we have caught numerous large trout fishing for ling, im talkin 24-30 inch rainbow and brown trout. How far are you from the mo River? cause it seems like a ridiculous size of trout for that size of river. I don't mean to sound like im complaining or anything like that but man we are out in the middle of the night fishin for ling and you bring in this huge trout. we are using everthing you would never expect a trout to bite on, sucker meat usually half rotten, or something like that and they tear your pole down. nothing better than a 26 inch rainbow at the other end. so yeah they do bite at night. but during all that we do manage to bring in a few ling, weather permitting.

Offline Mtfishin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2014, 10:59 PM »
Through the ice on the Missouri?

Offline Pastor B

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2014, 11:08 PM »
We catch a TON of them during the summer on Holter at night...usually between 11pm-2am!  We will limit out four guys pretty easy most nights!  I am not sure if that helps because it is not on the ice, but I would assume a full moon with little to no snow on the ice, and they would be fun!  We put on glow jigs as well...seems to bring them in more!  Heavy jigging, and if you feel a bite and miss one...just keep jigging up like you are trying to take it away from them, and they can not stand it!  I also used my Marcum over the side of the boat during the summer and was catching 3 trout to everyone else catching one!
Play hard!  Pray hard!

strgon84

« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2014, 11:35 PM »
no. no ice fishin for me on the mo. a lot of shore ice but I fell through what seemed to be at least a foot of shore ice. and is also a issue fishing from shore at night cause you cant see whats floating in the river. might be a iceberg or just fog. haha.

Offline Golden Trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 04, 2014, 02:44 AM »
Yes, use a glow hook

Offline hi_tail

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 06, 2014, 05:05 PM »

Do you guys feel that using a lantern at night on the ice makes the fishing better [specifically for trout]?      I remember being amazed as a kid at the difference hanging a lantern over the side of the boat made while jigging for walleye.  Lantern equalled bait.  Bait equalled walleye. 

Offline badlandspc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 26, 2014, 02:44 AM »
lantern/lights are good for night fishing.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.