The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Clam Ice Auger/Cordless Drill Review  (Read 160745 times)

Offline moabrocks

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Clam Ice Auger/Cordless Drill Review
« Reply #390 on: Jan 28, 2015, 10:58 PM »
Hello ... I'm new to the forum and want to ask those who had the Ridged hammer drill if they had troubles getting the chuck off. I have the screw out.  I put the allen wrench in like some youtube videos showed but it won't budge and I really don't want to break it.  Any tips?

** Update ** finally got it off ... bigger allen wrench and hammer was needed.

- Bryant

Offline Chi

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Please Take Your Garbage Home
« Reply #391 on: Jan 30, 2015, 06:46 PM »
Anyone using a 8" Mora with the Milwaukee Hammer drill  (no clam Plate) how's it working out.

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #392 on: Jan 31, 2015, 05:12 AM »
Some guys who have used the Fuel drill on a auger without the clam plate report that the attachment ear for the T-handle will shear off, so I wouldn't use that drill with an 8" auger without the clam plate. 

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #393 on: Jan 31, 2015, 06:51 AM »
Was out yesterday using my buddy's with the dewalt and a 8" mora with new blades we got 20 holes through 8" but you could smell the drill a little with his 6" he can punch 25 and just use one bar.big big difference.i don't like fishing out of 6" hole personally.found the auger to be very short so you will be touching your toes allot.i think if you are short and are find with 6" hole it worked well.have no experience with the nils.

Offline tjacob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #394 on: Jan 31, 2015, 09:37 AM »
I may have already responded in this thread. Don't have time to review, but I'm running an 8 inch Nils convertible(Orange/Black) with Milwaukee Fuel 18, 4 amp Red Lithium batteries, without clam plate and everything is working great for me. I tested hole capacity a month ago in 12-14" ice on a 15 degree day and got 39,5 holes from one battery. Could have got the 40th hole, but too much stop/start for my taste. No warming the battery before use. I have not needed the "T" handle as the counter-clockwise pressure on the drill is easily managed by hand.

Offline Chi

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #395 on: Jan 31, 2015, 10:28 AM »
Question for the thread.... Just removed and replaced a Ridged drill chuck in less than 5 minutes time. (easy) but have also spent the last hour trying like hell to remove the chuck from my Milwaukee hammer with no luck. it should be a left hand screw thread like most drills, tried putting heat to the screw to loosen the loctite, It just won't break loose,  any suggestions, has anyone else had this issue with the Milwaukee chuck. I want to use the Milwaukee with a clam drill plate. owners manual has no info on chuck removal.

Thanks for any suggestions offered

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #396 on: Jan 31, 2015, 12:10 PM »

Offline Chi

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #397 on: Jan 31, 2015, 01:11 PM »

Thanks Gills but it's a no go. did the video technique didn't work, gave it every tool I have LOL and I have a lot of tools. maybe repair center near by has a type of bit that will grab the screw head better than a philips or slotted.

Offline BobberdownLP

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #398 on: Jan 31, 2015, 06:35 PM »
Another reason I like using the cordless drill as my auger. Multi purpose the battery.   I made this dock station as a power source for controlling my LED lights.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #399 on: Jan 31, 2015, 06:40 PM »
Ran my fuel18 , 4 ah battery till it quit today!  500-550" ice!! Love that set- up!!

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #400 on: Jan 31, 2015, 07:13 PM »
I have read that you should never run the newer type batteries down that far. And that you should charge them every time after use.
<===Lefty===

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #401 on: Jan 31, 2015, 07:16 PM »
I have read that you should never run the newer type batteries down that far. And that you should charge them every time after use.
.       They are made to quit on their own,its a built in safety, they don't go slower or anything they just quit!!  A buddy of mine works on them and that's what he said!

Offline peteinvermont

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #402 on: Feb 05, 2015, 03:31 PM »
This thread is great, but I'm still not confident I'm buying the best setup.  So, maybe someone can hold my hand one more time before I waste my money?

I fish tipups only, 1 spot each day. 
I rarely drill more than 16 holes in a day.
I fish for pike, so I've always used an 8" hole, but I think a 7" would be fine.  6" might be too small?
Typically I'm fishing in less than 20" of ice.
I'm going to buy the 7" Lazer, a clam plate, and a new cordless.  (If I can save up my pennies I'll buy the Makita, otherwise, the ol' Mil or the Dewault would be $50 less and fine for what I'm doing?)

Should I push the "purchase now button" or change my setup?

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #403 on: Feb 05, 2015, 03:48 PM »
This thread is great, but I'm still not confident I'm buying the best setup.  So, maybe someone can hold my hand one more time before I waste my money?

I fish for pike, so I've always used an 8" hole, but I think a 7" would be fine.  6" might be too small?
I'm going to buy the 7" Lazer, a clam plate, and a new cordless.  (If I can save up my pennies I'll buy the Makita, otherwise, the ol' Mil or the Dewault would be $50 less and fine for what I'm doing?)

Should I push the "purchase now button" or change my setup?

16 holes?  That's an easy buy now if it were me ;D

Offline peteinvermont

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #404 on: Feb 05, 2015, 05:30 PM »

16 holes?  That's an easy buy now if it were me ;D

sweet, thx.

Now...since we're all in agreement, I'm pushing the buy button, right?

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #405 on: Feb 05, 2015, 05:48 PM »
Make sure you get an extension, too.  The clam plate directly to a lazer lower half makes for a short stack.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #406 on: Feb 05, 2015, 08:23 PM »

Should I push the "purchase now button" or change my setup?i

Get the makita
get a nills 8in
clam plate.
I have that setup with the milwaukee, better and cuts easier then a 7in lazer.

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #407 on: Feb 06, 2015, 11:53 AM »
I am still doing fine with my 7" lazer power bit on M18 Fuel. Right now cutting through 16" of black ice with no issues. Did 25 holes on 1 battery and it was 15 degrees out. Really happy with this set up.

I used the 7" power lazer bit off my old strikemaster electra just because I had it. If I was going to go with a new bit I would get a NILs.

Offline peteinvermont

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #408 on: Feb 06, 2015, 01:43 PM »
I am still doing fine with my 7" lazer power bit on M18 Fuel. Right now cutting through 16" of black ice with no issues. Did 25 holes on 1 battery and it was 15 degrees out. Really happy with this set up.

I used the 7" power lazer bit off my old strikemaster electra just because I had it. If I was going to go with a new bit I would get a NILs.

wow, good setup.

Offline jjc155

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #409 on: Feb 06, 2015, 03:52 PM »
Hey guys gonna get the clam conversion plate and set up a cordless drill auger for when I am just out pulling my glide lite sled. I have bad shoulders and rheumatoid arthritis (at 42, lol) and its getting to be a bare to drill holes by hand even in "thin" ice.

I have a Strike Master Lazer 5inch that I will use initially as I really only fish for pan fish and perch. I need a new cordless drill anyways so I'll pick up one of the Milwaukee Fuel 18v (unless there is a better choice).

Looks like I will need an extension for the auger, unless I want to get on my knee while drilling? Anything else or in particular that I need or "need" (lol) to make this a good setup?

Thanks
J-

Offline Hunt n Fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #410 on: Feb 06, 2015, 04:23 PM »
If you guys are wanting to save money/weight/bulk I think I would consider skipping the conversion plate.  I got a hand/drill converter for $12 and paired with a 6" mora and a Dewalt 18 volt I already had.  The converter is about 15" long so there's your extension.  Also there is no need to remove the drill chuck.  The thing works great, it doesn't bind and the drill is easily held by hand.  I originally planned to use the extra handle for the drill but forgot it the first time out and found that's it's not necessary.  Cut a circle out of plywood to slide over the auger in case the chuck loosens up (which it hasn't yet) to keep the auger from going for a swim and good to go.  Just my 2 cents. 

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #411 on: Feb 06, 2015, 04:56 PM »
Hey guys gonna get the clam conversion plate and set up a cordless drill auger for when I am just out pulling my glide lite sled. I have bad shoulders and rheumatoid arthritis (at 42, lol) and its getting to be a bare to drill holes by hand even in "thin" ice.

I have a Strike Master Lazer 5inch that I will use initially as I really only fish for pan fish and perch. I need a new cordless drill anyways so I'll pick up one of the Milwaukee Fuel 18v (unless there is a better choice).

Looks like I will need an extension for the auger, unless I want to get on my knee while drilling? Anything else or in particular that I need or "need" (lol) to make this a good setup?

Thanks
J-
               Guess hunt n fish didn't read your thread about arthritis and all, sound like you would really benefit from one!!(plate)

Offline jjc155

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #412 on: Feb 06, 2015, 07:01 PM »
               Guess hunt n fish didn't read your thread about arthritis and all, sound like you would really benefit from one!!(plate)

That was the reason I was looking at it.

J-

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #413 on: Feb 07, 2015, 08:24 AM »
I read it wrong too I thought he was going from hand to drill cause of the arthritis .so you are saying that it would be easier on his shoulders using the clam plate with a drill than just the drill?

Offline willisdotcom

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #414 on: Feb 07, 2015, 01:13 PM »
With my lower back and neck being fused up after breaking them in 2002 the clam plate seems to be more comfortable and less painful than running just drill even drill with side handle.  I think the spacing of the plate handles is a lot more than drill with side handle.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #415 on: Feb 07, 2015, 10:33 PM »

Thanks
J-

Your 5in lazer will be fine. You will want an extention with it. On my 7in eskimo that was a shaver and I converted it to a lazer I needed the clam extention otherwise I'd be hunched over drilling holes all day. About the only hand auger you don't need an extention for is the nils. If you want a bigger hole you can always just piggyback/figure 8 two holes with you 5in.

I can vouch for the M18 getting the job done, however I hear the new makita is a beast.....I would check it out i beleve it has about 30% more torque then the milwaukee.

Offline Chi

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #416 on: Feb 08, 2015, 06:17 AM »
Your 5in lazer will be fine. You will want an extention with it. On my 7in eskimo that was a shaver and I converted it to a lazer I needed the clam extention otherwise I'd be hunched over drilling holes all day. About the only hand auger you don't need an extention for is the nils. If you want a bigger hole you can always just piggyback/figure 8 two holes with you 5in.

I can vouch for the M18 getting the job done, however I hear the new makita is a beast.....I would check it out i beleve it has about 30% more torque then the milwaukee.
Milwaukee is 725 in/lb  Makita 1090 in/lb.... not much more in price for the Makita kit.  Milwaukee has a 5.0 Ah battery available,  Makita has a 5.0Ah battery, last I seen their 5.0 battery was in Europe only, I  think it will be sold here soon.  I have the Milwaukee with a 5.0 Ah battery but if I was buying now I'd go with the Makita.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #417 on: Feb 08, 2015, 10:20 AM »
Milwaukee is 725 in/lb  Makita 1090 in/lb.... not much more in price for the Makita kit.  Milwaukee has a 5.0 Ah battery available,  Makita has a 5.0Ah battery, last I seen their 5.0 battery was in Europe only, I  think it will be sold here soon.  I have the Milwaukee with a 5.0 Ah battery but if I was buying now I'd go with the Makita.
     How  much for the 5ah?

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.