The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Clam Ice Auger/Cordless Drill Review  (Read 160746 times)

Offline DON-E-ICE

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Clam Ice Auger/Cordless Drill Review
« Reply #30 on: Jan 31, 2014, 03:02 PM »
Last year by buddy picked up the nils master hand auger with disc and drill hook up. Not sure what drill he is using but the thing cuts like a dream with no hand torque or twist. He drilled 50 plus holes of 8 inch ice and had plenty juice left to go before we got off the ice.

Offline POINTERGUY

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Feb 01, 2014, 04:40 AM »
Well I fished on Saginaw Bay yesterday and drilled some holes with the new setup. I drill about 12 holes total with the drill auger for our fish finders and we used the 8" gas auger for fishing holes. The ice ranged from 22-36" of ice. The drill auger chewed right through all ice, well under half the time it took the gas auger. The only problem that I seen was when drilling through 36" of ice the drill stopped a few times/paused then started back and kept drilling. I had an extension on it as well. It only paused a few times however but it started drilling again and kept going. Must be either overheating and auto shut off or something like that. I changed the battery the first time thinking it was dead, so I put a new battery on and kept drilling. I kept the batteries in a insulated lunch bag with a hand warmer and we were on the ice about 10 hrs. I always left the batteries in the bag on the quad all day. I couldn't believe how well this did in such thick ice. When I got home one battery was still fully charged and the other still had about 3/4 charge left. So I prob dill a little over 200" of ice with it yesterday. I only wish I could use a 8" auger, but after previous test, the 8" is to much for this drill to handle. I am more than happy with my set up.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Feb 01, 2014, 09:05 AM »
I just ordered a second plate from bass pro ($49.99+s&h) I had to call the main number since they were not listed on-line and they had a few left. I paired my clam plate with a Milwaukee fuel brush less 18v. It has 725in/lbs of torque and 50 extra RPM over it's brushed counterpart. I bought two of the xc-4.0 batteries and built a 15" extension for my 7" strikemaster mora auger. I easily punched 30+ holes in 12+ inches of ice last weekend on one battery with power to spare. I simply set the auger down where I want a hole and squeeze the trigger, the 13 pound auger is all the down force needed to make the hole. I have yet to need my second battery in any of my outings this season. I really need to see exactly how many inches of ice I really can do..... It just hasn't taken 100 holes for me to find at least a few takers this season. In fact it may work a little too well since I'm ordering the second plate for a buddy that ran mine once and is ready to give up the gas for good. (which means I get to assemble another drill auger somehow???) I highly recommend the clam drill plate and IMO the Milwaukee fuel with the 4.0 batteries is unbeatable in the cordless drill auger world. My 2 cents. ;D ;D ;D
I now own the Milwaukee drill as well. I did a side by side test with a brand new Dewalt 36v and the M18 brushless destroyed it! I have owned Dewalt tools for over two decades and am heading over to Milwaukee fast. Btw, my test was with a 2 9/16" bit in a 2x6. The results were not even close. I paid $500 for the Dewalt. The M18 was $300 with an impact and two 4ah batteries. (reconditioned) The drill works so well, I still fail to see the need for the Clam auger plate. I might buy it just because I like new toys.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Feb 01, 2014, 09:36 AM »
The pausing that you are describing is probably due to the brushes heating up which causes your batteries to shut down due to over amperage. Thats what makes brush less drills so nice.

Offline Rizzman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Feb 01, 2014, 11:09 AM »
great review. We don't get anywhere near the  ice you a drilling  but it looks like a great way to go for these old shoulders

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Feb 01, 2014, 12:56 PM »
Prospector best part of the auger plate is that it gives you much better control especially when first starting a hole and it is VERY cool. The brushless Milwaukee Fuel 18v is a animal.... People really would have to try this setup to fully understand what im talking about. Invest the 49.95 in the clam plate and you will see exactly what im talking about. I really cannot believe that people are walking into home depot and walking past the best brushless drill on the market to get a rigid brushed drill. It must be the warranty I guess, since they are comparably priced. IMO its the best auger setup out there.

Offline POINTERGUY

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Feb 01, 2014, 03:54 PM »
The pausing that you are describing is probably due to the brushes heating up which causes your batteries to shut down due to over amperage. Thats what makes brush less drills so nice.

I didn't know that, but makes sense. Maybe I need to upgrade to the milwaukee m18 fuel 18v. Has anyone used this drill paired with a 8" auger yet? I wonder if it would work, and how many inches of ice you're getting per battery.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Feb 01, 2014, 04:29 PM »
The brushless M18 will shut down as well. I think it has to do with heat build up with continuous use. I have only had it shut off in wood though. I was using a 6" Nills and cannot speak for the 8 yet. The 6" was unreal!

Offline Evil Tom

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Jesus walked on water...once I do it every year
« Reply #38 on: Feb 01, 2014, 08:02 PM »
My rigid 18volt lithium ion has never paused on me or stopped.The only time it stops is when the battery is dead.I drilled 15 7" holes one after another today thru 8" of ice with one battery that still had power.The whole rigid kit drill,impact,sawzall,trim saw,and flashlight was $399 and gave me a third battery for another $50.Im in construction and my experience with dewalt is battery life sucks,I like Milwaukee but they don't offer enough tools in their kits for the price they charge.I threw out my dewalt 20 v kit when I got the rigid set and have been using the drill at work just about every day and as long as the ice is 10" or less I always use it to drill . Three years with no problems and couldn't be more satisfied.

Offline fishpalal

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Feb 02, 2014, 07:43 PM »
 ;) Hats off to your review. Real kudos to your willingness to share this information with others. I am somewhat wary of these setups due to the investment required compared to a gas setup tho. What is anyones opinion regarding the comparison between gas and drill augers for overall economics

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Feb 02, 2014, 10:31 PM »
Financial investment??? Ummmm it is totally minimal. My milwaukee fuel 18v setup is totally attainable for $250 in fact i got mine built for just under $225. I own a eskimo 8" gas auger and i kinda got sick of the gas auger problems, 1) mixing gas 2) gas/oil on my hands 3) hard starting 4) heavy auger..... So I made up my mind I was going electric.  After much research I decided to build my own auger.... and I have no regrets!!! The Milwaukee fuel 18v is THE drill for the setup. I now own a inexpensive, 13 lb, powerful and fast  7" electric ice auger that is perfect for the ice fishing that I do. It truly is a fantastic way to go, I would highly recommend it to anyone that has a hand auger they are willing to convert to this type of setup. I cant say enough about it, easily the best ice fishing investment I have ever made!!!

Offline MT204

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Feb 02, 2014, 10:53 PM »
Financial investment??? Ummmm it is totally minimal. My milwaukee fuel 18v setup is totally attainable for $250 in fact i got mine built for just under $225.
Just curious where you found Milwaukee fuel 18v with 4 ah batteries and charger for under $225.00??

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #42 on: Feb 03, 2014, 07:15 AM »
The Milwaukee fuel 18v is THE drill for the setup.

Firstly, there is no "best" drill for this setup.

However if your going to invest in this setup it behooves you to check out each manufacturers warranty. Reason being: Your using this drill for a purpose and in an environment it was not designed for.

After alot of research, the Rigid brand drill offer the best warranty. Lifetime warranty on the drill and the batteries (yes both, i confirmed this). For repairs/replacements you can take it back to a Home Depot with a service department. They have the parts to fix or replace it there.. All you have to do is register your product online. Takes about 5 mins, super easy..

This is what I found, please feel free to reply with any corrections.

Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline mattthehairy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • There's a beverage here man!
« Reply #43 on: Feb 03, 2014, 08:20 AM »
I have an 18v Makita with the old style pod batteries that I use to drive a 6" eskimo. Worked great for the first couple years, especially on the relatively small amount of ice we see in MA. But as the batteries aged the performance has gone down hill, as you might expect. One battery is fine and gets me through about 50 inches of ice with a 6" auger attached (2.5 holes through 20 inches of ice last weekend) before dying. The other battery is totally useless on the ice. Trouble is around the house the drill is fine and the "diminished" battery life isn't any trouble.

With the cost of replacing the batteries what it is I'm thinking I'd be better off just switching to a small used gas job or saving up for an ion/ice gator. Especially given that I go up north a few times a season and have to contend with serious amounts of ice.

I loved my drill setup, but will be leaving it behind. For anyone still dealing with the torque problem, you don't get bruised or tossed around if you brace the drill against your thigh first, and then lean into it as you drill.

"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." - Calvin Coolidge

' \
                                 '   \
                                 '     \@
                                 '       \\
             --------------( ' )---------------
                                 '
                   ><:>      '     <:::><
                                 '
                   ><:::>   *

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #44 on: Feb 03, 2014, 08:29 AM »
Most of these newer hammer drills come with the attachable T Handle. Allowing you to hang onto the drill with two hands.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Feb 03, 2014, 10:24 AM »
Look at "destroying my Ridgid drill" on youtube. It was enough for me to buy a Milwaukee. If I lived near a service center, I would buy a Ridgid for sure. If one of you guy would be so kind, please post a link to the video. Prepare to laugh! WARNING: Some choice words are used.

Offline big bobber

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • cant fish during the day...learn to fish at night
« Reply #46 on: Feb 03, 2014, 10:35 AM »
looks cool @)...but what temps are we talking..from experience...anything with a battery will fail in colder temps..ive used every kind of battery on construction sites here in upper michigan...and ANYTHING...AND EVERYTHING with a battery will soon fail you in temps below 10 degrees.
i just know they will bite if i stay another hour.

Offline colclaed

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Feb 03, 2014, 10:35 AM »
When I take out my portable my clam auger is all I bring.  Were at almost 20" of ice now with no problem.  I just lift it up every six or so inches to clear the shavings.  I am using a old dewalt 18 volt and can get a dozen or so holes from a battery.  I just bring a couple and leave the spares in the truck in a cooler.

Offline mrjohnny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • to cold for me to fish..i'm packin up
« Reply #48 on: Feb 03, 2014, 10:52 AM »
If one is fishing basicly for pan fish,it just seems to me that a 5 inch hole should be plenty big enough... :-\
too cold ....aint going out there..

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #49 on: Feb 03, 2014, 10:52 AM »
Look at "destroying my Ridgid drill" on youtube. It was enough for me to buy a Milwaukee. If I lived near a service center, I would buy a Ridgid for sure. If one of you guy would be so kind, please post a link to the video. Prepare to laugh! WARNING: Some choice words are used.

Are you referring to the video from two years ago of the guy who goes ballistic on his 3+yr old drill with a hammer?

If one is fishing basicly for pan fish,it just seems to me that a 5 inch hole should be plenty big enough... :-\

Most guys are using 6-7in augers. Which will fit alot of fish thru the ice. In order for a fish to get stuck in a 6in hole it would need a girth of over 19inches..

Offline MT204

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Feb 03, 2014, 12:13 PM »
Firstly, there is no "best" drill for this setup.

However if your going to invest in this setup it behooves you to check out each manufacturers warranty. Reason being: Your using this drill for a purpose and in an environment it was not designed for.

After alot of research, the Rigid brand drill offer the best warranty. Lifetime warranty on the drill and the batteries (yes both, i confirmed this). For repairs/replacements you can take it back to a Home Depot with a service department. They have the parts to fix or replace it there.. All you have to do is register your product online. Takes about 5 mins, super easy..

This is what I found, please feel free to reply with any corrections.

(Image removed from quote.)

The Ridgid drill and batteries have a 3 year limited warranty! IF you register the tool, batteries and charger within 90 days you get a "lifetime service agreement"! You have to register!!!! Make sure and follow up on the registration and get your LSA number! If you buy a tool and return it and get a "over the counter replacement" it only has a 3 year warranty. Keep your receipt for any of the tools for warranty! Some will not warranty with out receipt!
And lastly (as someone else stated) that most warranties do not cover failure due to normal wear or tool abuse.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Feb 04, 2014, 03:04 AM »
I purchased the fuel drill for $85(drill only) and the batteries for $50 each all new off Amazon (I have seen used equipment go cheaper on ebay). I stared looking around in early fall and purchased a piece here and a piece there. Got my clam plate from BPS for $45 on a internet promotion xmas sale. I sold all of my Dewalt tools 7-8 yrs ago and moved exclusively to Milwaukee power tools, so i already had a charger. I looked on you tube at drill comparisons and talked to my tool guy at work and it became obvious that the fuel drill with it's 725 in/lbs of torque and increased rpm is the best choice for this project. I honestly do not care about a warranty since I'm sure that we are all probably voiding it anyway. I know that I am abusing my Milwaukee drill by strapping it to a clam drill plate, chucking it up to a 6-7-8" auger and then drilling a ton of holes in 12-24" of ice on a frigid lake. I'm just not honestly going to try to warranty a tool that I'm having so much fun abusing!!! ;D ;D ;D. The xc-4.0 batteries are perfect for this application. They just plug and play, providing full power down to zero degrees without any special warm storage or storing them in your pockets. IMO the Milwaukee fuel is easily the best drill for this setup!!!

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #52 on: Feb 04, 2014, 06:31 AM »
I think you will see the same performance out of either drill. One just has the warranty to cover your bases.

Offline dangle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Feb 04, 2014, 06:49 AM »
good review

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Feb 04, 2014, 11:44 AM »
I buy quality tools to cover my bases. In my job (commercial/industrial electrician) I have seen Milwaukee tools take INCREDIBLE abuse and continue to perform. Like I said, I am not personally worried about the warranty. If I were planning on trying to warranty the equipment 5yrs on the drill is more than adequate. Every li-ion battery, regardless of brand, has a charge life so 3yrs is plenty of warranty on the batteries. Check out "K-drill ice auger" on you tube. The Milwaukee fuel is the ONLY drill that they recommend for their system. That rigid tool video was hilarious and is also the way I feel about junk tools that don't perform thanks for posting.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #55 on: Feb 04, 2014, 12:47 PM »
I buy quality tools to cover my bases. In my job (commercial/industrial electrician) I have seen Milwaukee tools take INCREDIBLE abuse and continue to perform. Like I said, I am not personally worried about the warranty. If I were planning on trying to warranty the equipment 5yrs on the drill is more than adequate. Every li-ion battery, regardless of brand, has a charge life so 3yrs is plenty of warranty on the batteries. Check out "K-drill ice auger" on you tube. The Milwaukee fuel is the ONLY drill that they recommend for their system. That rigid tool video was hilarious and is also the way I feel about junk tools that don't perform thanks for posting.

The Rigid drill is a quality product backed by THE BEST warranty. There really is no argument against that.
Does the same job as your Milwaukee, costs less, and has a better warranty..

As for the K-Drill, they suggest the Milwaukee because of how aggressive the blades/cutting head are on them.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Feb 04, 2014, 10:45 PM »
Do you own a drill auger setup baitbucket???

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #57 on: Feb 05, 2014, 07:12 AM »
Do you own a drill auger setup baitbucket???

Yup..
I bought this drill for his setup and for use around the house in the off season.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Feb 05, 2014, 09:25 AM »
Nice!!! You should do a review on the whole setup.

Offline slamer58

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Feb 05, 2014, 09:30 AM »
 Great reviews guys.......lots of info,i dragged my 8" strikemaster out on the ice on the weekend across snow
with 5" of slush on top.....what an ordeal .This thread has got me thinking for next year.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.